Fidonet Portal

From: John McCoy (1:249/400)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 06:16
Re: Slackware 15.0
On 16 Sep 2020, Nick Andre said the following...
NA> But thats the thing. *Everything* on Gentoo had to be compiled.

There are binary repositories, but in order to ensure compatibility you'd
need to build compiled packages with all standard settings anyway.

NA> With those distros it mostly "worked" but given the nature of Linux, no
NA> offense to anyone reading this, theres always fucking *something* that
NA> just doesn't work out of the box like it does on Windows. As an example,
NA> I'm not replacing a video card just because Linux can't make it work.

Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to install it if I didn't know beforehand that
the hardware was compatible.
Incompatibility is often a case of trade secrecy or lack of support which the
driver developers can't do much about. Famously video cards, wifi and the
old "winmodem" software modems. If the manufacturer won't provide a driver
and refuses to even tell you how the hardware works so you can write your
own, then you don't get to have a driver.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Subcarrier BBS (1:249/400)

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 12:16
Re: Slackware 15.0
Hello Benny!

17 Sep 20 06:02, Benny Pedersen wrote to Richard Falken:

BP> i find it funny that Nick thinks kernel source in gentoo have more
BP> secureity holes then any precompiled systems like slackware

Even more entertaining than his localisation of Russia?

Regards,
Gerrit

... 10:44AM up 242 days, 41 mins, 7 users, load averages: 0.96, 0.56, 0.46

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: We are a nation (2:240/12)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 08:41
Re: Slackware 15.0
On 17 Sep 20 06:02:44, Benny Pedersen said the following to Richard Falken:

BP> i find it funny that Nick thinks kernel source in gentoo have more secureit
BP> holes then any precompiled systems like slackware

Thats not what I said, but continue the laughs.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 20:31
Re: Slackware 15.0
Hello Gerrit!

17 Sep 2020 10:44, Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Benny Pedersen:

BP>> i find it funny that Nick thinks kernel source in gentoo have more
BP>> secureity holes then any precompiled systems like slackware

GK> Even more entertaining than his localisation of Russia?

i have never being there, sadly nice russin womens have the own life on vk.com,
russian padant to tictok hehe

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.8.9-gentoo-x86_64 (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 20:33
Re: Slackware 15.0
Hello Nick!

17 Sep 2020 06:41, Nick Andre wrote to Benny Pedersen:

BP>> i find it funny that Nick thinks kernel source in gentoo have more
BP>> secureit holes then any precompiled systems like slackware

NA> Thats not what I said, but continue the laughs.

fair, i have no more ritter sport left Smile

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 18:00
Re: Slackware 15.0
On 17 Sep 20 18:33:28, Benny Pedersen said the following to Nick Andre:

BP> NA> Thats not what I said, but continue the laughs.
BP>
BP> fair, i have no more ritter sport left Smile

The next one will cost you vodka... the good shit please.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2