Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 17 2020
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

EPOD 20th - Observing the Moon on the Same Day from the Northern and
Southern Hemispheres

September 17, 2020

Freitas Moon-Venus-Copenhagen-Mario(3)

Frietas Moon-Venus-Curitiba-SandroColetti (1)

Freitas-Twilight-20h45min-UTC-July-15-2018 (1)

November 2018 Viewer's Choice We’re celebrating 20 years of Earth
Science Picture of the Day during the month of September! Today’s photo
features a popular EPOD from the past. Thanks to all of our followers
(on the blog, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for supporting us.
Thanks also to all of you who’ve submitted your photos. We’re most
appreciative. This EPOD was originally published November 22, 2018.

Photographers: Mario Freitas; Sandro Coletti
Summary Author: Mario Freitas

The shooting times of the pair of photos above differ by less than one
hour, but their locations were more than 10,000 kilometers apart.
During civil twilight on July 15, 2018, the same Moon-Venus
conjunction was observed by amateur astronomers in Copenhagen,
Denmark and Curitiba, Brazil. If we consider that both celestial
bodies lie close to the ecliptic plane, the Earth’s roundness
provides that the arc connecting Venus to the waxing crescent
Moon appears almost horizontal in Copenhagen, but is strongly tilted
upwards in Curitiba.

Fortunately, meteorological conditions were favorable for observing the
sky at both locations -- shooting times were 20:44 for Copenhagen and
21:26 UTC for Curitiba. The simulation by Google Earth makes it
clear that the way the Earth’s axis tilts allows twilight times to
be simultaneous in both cities. Although they differ by 60 degrees in
longitude and 80 degrees in latitude, the geodesic line
between Copenhagen and Curitiba eventually coincides with the solar
terminator. Note that the planet Mercury is also visible in second
picture (at lower left of the Moon).
* Coordinates
+ Curitiba, Brazil: -25.4809, -49.3044
+ Copenhagen, Denmark: 55.676111, 12.568333

Related EPODs

EPOD 20th - Observing the Moon on the Same Day from the Northern
and Southern Hemispheres EPOD 20th - First High-Quality Real Stereo
Image of Pluto Encore - Altair and Barnard's Moonrise Over the
Apuan Alps Delightful Glows on a Summer's Eve Earthshine and
Crescent Moon
More...

Night Sky Links

* Space Weather Live
* Space Weather Live Forum
* About the Moon
* American Meteor Society
* Arbeitskreises Meteore e.V.
* Global City Lights
* Heavens Above Home Page
* The International Meteor Organization
* Lunar and Planetary Institute
* MoonConnection
* NASA Eclipse Web Page
* Understanding The Moon Phases

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 3 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours, 20 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)