Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 13:00
MODIS Pic of the Day 17 September 2020
September 17, 2020 - Hurricane Sally and Smoke from West Coast Wildfires

Follow @NASA_MODIS

Hurricane Sally and Smoke from West Coat Wildfires
Tweet
Share

The year 2020 will be remembered as a time of extremes, especially in
the United States. Not only has the country grappled with a pandemic
and political divisions, but also with record-setting fire and
hurricane seasons.

A summer of record-setting heat on the West Coast – Death Valley,
California set a record for the highest temperature ever recorded on
Earth in August – left vegetation crisp and dry, ready to ignite at any
spark. By mid-August, a siege of more than 1,000 lightning strikes
caused fires across California and, to a lesser extent, sparked fires
in Washington and Oregon. Strong, downslope winds and low humidity
stoked small fires, turning them into blazing infernos. According to
Cal Fire, five of the 20 largest fires in the state’s history have
occurred since August, with the August Complex taking the number one
position, with 796,651 acres burned, 26 structures destroyed, and 1
death as of September 16. Two of the current wildfires also made the
list of California’s top 20 most deadly fires: The North Complex (22
dead) and LNU Lightning Complex with 5 killed. Washington registered
its largest fire in history, the Cold Springs Canyon/Pearl Hill Fires,
which has burned more than 400,000 acres. Likewise, Oregon reports its
most destructive fire season on record, with more than 930,000 acres
burnt and several towns destroyed. By September 15, smoke from these
fires stretched over the entire United States, reaching the Atlantic
Ocean.

While hot, dry weather ushered in the incredibly destructive West Coast
fire season, the Atlantic Hurricane season was setting records for wet,
windy storms. On September 14, the National Hurricane Center was
reporting five tropical cyclones in the Atlantic Basin – only the
second time in history that there have been five or more cyclones
spinning simultaneously in this region. As of September 16, the 2020
season is tied with 1933 as the second most active on record, with 20
named storms, ranking only behind 2005, when there were 28 named storms
in the entire season. Out of the 20 storms, 17 were the earliest
occurring for their number. Tropical Storm Vicky, the 20th storm of the
season, formed on September 14, beating the previous formation date for
the 20th storm by 21 days.

On September 15, 2020, the Moderate Resolution Imaging
Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on board NASA’s Terra satellite acquired a
true-color image of Hurricane Sally approaching the Gulf Coast as
leading rain bands from the storm approach a broad band of smoke from
the West Coast wildfires.

Sally made landfall at 5:45 a.m. EDT (0945 UTC) on September 16 near
Gulf Shores, Alabama. According to the National Hurricane Center, the
storm was carrying maximum sustained winds of about 104 mph (167.4
km/h) at landfall. That would place it as a Category 2 storm on the
Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

The slow-moving, drenching storm is a record-setter itself. Forming on
September 12, it was the earliest-forming “S”- (18th-) named storm on
record. The previous early storm was Stan, which formed on October 4,
2005. According to a meteorologist with Colorado State University,
Sally is the 8th named storm to make landfall in the continental US
(CONUS) in 2020, marking the most CONUS landfalls on record by
September 16. The previous record was 7 named storms and was set in
1916.

By the evening of September 16, Sally had been downgraded to a tropical
storm, with maximum sustained winds of 45 mph (72.4 km/h) and was
located over southeastern Alabama. It is predicted to continue to
weaken as it moves inland. With up to 30 inches of rain and extensive
flooding reported in some locations, the National Weather Service
states “historic and catastrophic flooding, including widespread
moderate-to-major riving flooding, is unfolding along and just inland
from west of Tallahassee, Florida to Mobile Bay, Alabama. Significant
and widespread flooding is expected across inland portions of Alabama,
central Georgia and upstate South Carolina, and widespread flooding is
possible across western/central North Carolina and far southeast
Virginia.

Image Facts
Satellite: Terra
Date Acquired: 9/15/2020
Resolutions: 1km (564.9 KB), 500m (3.2 MB),
Bands Used: 1,4,3
Image Credit: MODIS Land Rapid Response Team, NASA GSFC

https://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/individual.php?db_date=2020-09-17

--- up 3 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours, 19 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.10.20 19:16
Re: MODIS Pic of the Day 17 September 2020
On 04 Oct 2020, 05:59p, August Abolins said the following...

AA> DR> position, with 796,651 acres burned, 26 structures
AA>
AA> DR> most destructive fire season on record, with more than
AA> DR> 930,000 acres burnt and several towns destroyed..
AA>
AA> What's the current stats for acres burned? Close to 4 million
AA> now?

According to the state of California, they are over 4 million acres. This is
according to www.fire.ca.gov/daily-wildfire-report/

www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm states there are 44,643 fires in the US, that
have consumed 7,737,667 acres, year to date.

The west coast and south-west have been in a drought for probably 15 years
now. I'm sure if we started getting some rain it would help tremendously.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
aka Dan Richter
Castle Rock BBS
telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
http://www.castlerockbbs.com
http://github.com/DRPanther
The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/27 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (1:317/3)