Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Pierson (2:240/1120.976)
To: All
Date: Mon, 14.09.20 22:39
Hello?
Hello, All.

Seems it has gotten very Quiet here.

--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android
--- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
* Origin: The Oasis, Houston, Texas, USA (2:240/1120.976)

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.09.20 19:34
Re: Hello?
On 15 Sep 2020, Maurice Kinal said the following...

MK> CP> I was afraid of waking the neighbors by being too loud.
MK>
MK> No worries. I think you'll have to be much louder to wake the dead.

Shhhh. I was sleeping... ;)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
aka Dan Richter
Castle Rock BBS
telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
http://www.castlerockbbs.com
http://github.com/DRPanther
The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/25 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (1:317/3)

From: Charles Pierson (2:240/1120.976)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.09.20 21:35
Re: Hello?
Hello, Dan Richter.
On 9/15/20 5:34 PM you wrote:

DR> On 15 Sep 2020, Maurice Kinal said the following...
MK>> CP> I was afraid of waking the neighbors by being too loud. No
MK>> worries. I think you'll have to be much louder to wake the dead.
DR> Shhhh. I was sleeping... ;)

I TOLD them!

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.09.20 21:11
Re: Hello?
On 16 Sep 2020, Maurice Kinal said the following...

MK> DR> Shhhh. I was sleeping... ;)
MK>
MK> No sleeping allowed during the seance. Speaking of which, you wouldn't
MK> happen to be packing an Ouija board?

I'm using this one. Right now I'm talking to Ludwig van Beethoven, but he's
not hearing a word I'm saying... ;)

---

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.09.20 03:14
Re: Hello?
CP> Seems it has gotten very Quiet here.

There are other things in life besides BBSing.

Daryl

... If you live in Hawaii, where do you go on vacation??
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)

From: Charles Pierson (2:240/1120.976)
To: All
Date: Wed, 16.09.20 13:12
Re: Hello?
Hello, Daryl Stout.
On 9/15/20 1:14 AM you wrote:

CP>> Seems it has gotten very Quiet here.
DS> There are other things in life besides BBSing.

I do understand that certainly.

From: Dennis Katsonis (1:124/5016)
To: All
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 03:35
Re: Hello?
-=> Maurice Kinal wrote to Dan Richter <=-

MK> Hallo Dan!

DR> Right now I'm talking to Ludwig van Beethoven, but he's not
DR> hearing a word I'm saying...

MK> Just another of those uppity decomposing composers taking the fifth and
MK> calling it fate.

MK> Het leven is goed,
MK> Maurice

Some people think that Beethoven wasn't actually deaf, he was just hard of
hearing. Theodore Albrecht, a musicologist at Kent think that while he was
hard of hearing, he wasn't stone deaf.

... Dennis Katsonis
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Wed, 16.09.20 13:12
Re: Hello?
C.G.,

CL> I got it here at valhalla. Let me know if you get this. This echo has
CL> been dead for awhile. Thanks

Good to hear from you...several had wondered about you and your BBS.

Daryl

... Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.

From: C.G. Learn (1:275/93)
To: All
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 18:48
Re: Hello?
Re: Re: Hello?
By: Daryl Stout to C.G. Learn on Wed Sep 16 2020 11:12 am

DS> Good to hear from you...several had wondered about you and your BBS.

I took it down, but so many people asked me to reconsider, so I did. We are
here to stay I guess. Now I have to sit down and get to all the updates I have
on my todo list LOL

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

Play Trade Wars Between 10 Other BBS's On Valhalla's Trade Wars Game Server!
6 Fantastic Games Underway, Come Play Today!

--- CAT (n.Wink, Furry keyboard cover.
* Origin: Telnet://valhalla.synchro.net - Richmond, Virginia (1:275/93)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 17.09.20 10:25
Re: Hello?
Charles,

CP>> Seems it has gotten very Quiet here.
DS> There are other things in life besides BBSing.

CP> I do understand that certainly.

I have a file on the BBS called "BEASYSOP.ZIP"...for those
who ever considered being a Sysop. Topics covered are:

1) Definition of a Twit -- Grant Bierman

2) You Want To Be A Sysop?? -- Tom Ezell

3) The Thankless Job -- Kris Lewis

4) Caring For Pet Sysops -- Fred Hunt

5) The True Twit Test -- Author Unknown

6) The Sysop Of A BBS -- Daryl Stout

Portions of it are funny...but sadly, much of it is true.
One Sysop, after a Co-Sysop, shared their logon with a
friend, caused that Sysop to shut his system down, go offline
forever, and sell his equipment (this was in 1985).

When I read #4 to a fellow Sysop (who was also a ham radio
operator...and this was patterned after ham radio operators,
but I modified it for Pet Sysops)...when I got to the last
section of "Breeding", he said "HELLO!!" <BG>.

Daryl

... Never drink and drive. Hitting a bump spills your drink.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Fri, 18.09.20 02:37
Re: Hello?
C.G.,

CL> I took it down, but so many people asked me to reconsider, so I did. We
CL> are here to stay I guess. Now I have to sit down and get to all the
CL> updates I have on my todo list LOL

A Sysop's work is never done. I was fixing glitches with the FTN
areas. On my end:

1) I had errors in the AREAS.BBS file, as they weren't the same as
the message area control codes in Synchronet.

2) To accomodate my "non-connects", I had to set up an insecure area
for incoming packets. But, I discovered that these weren't getting
tossed. So, I had to modify the batch file to move everything from
there into a secure directory before I tossed things.

3) I discovered I had some wrong addresses from the hubs, and a
security violation was the result.

4) I discovered that some of the nodes had a packet password, and
I don't use them. The session passwords and areafix passwords are
the same, though.

I think I've got the bugs worked out now (now, I just jinxed
myself <G>).

Daryl

... What happens if your fortune cookie contradicts your horoscope??

From: C.G. Learn (1:275/93)
To: All
Date: Sat, 19.09.20 18:26
Re: Hello?
Re: Re: Hello?
By: Daryl Stout to C.G. Learn on Fri Sep 18 2020 12:37 am

DS> A Sysop's work is never done. I was fixing glitches with the FTN
DS> areas. On my end:

I hear ya on that. My todo list is 2 pages long, and everytime I fix one, I see
two more that I have to add to the list...LOL

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

Play Trade Wars Between 10 Other BBS's On Valhalla's Trade Wars Game Server!
6 Fantastic Games Underway, Come Play Today!

--- FART(n): An audio test of one's waste-disposal system.
* Origin: Telnet://valhalla.synchro.net - Richmond, Virginia (1:275/93)

From: C.g. Learn (1:275/95)
To: All
Date: Sat, 19.09.20 18:29
Re: Hello?
DS> I think I've got the bugs worked out now (now, I just jinxed
DS> myself <G>).

I don't think that ever happens, atleast not in my lifetime for me...LOL

--- GAPNetW - Ver 6.7
* Origin: Valhalla II - bbs.valhallabbs.com - Richmond, VA.! (1:275/95)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sun, 20.09.20 15:31
Re: Hello?
C.G.,

CL> I hear ya on that. My todo list is 2 pages long, and everytime I fix
CL> one, I see two more that I have to add to the list...LOL

Then, you have to find more round tuit's to get it done. <G>

What I hate is when reading the autoposts, or look back at bulletins,
I see errors, and grumble "D@mn!! Another one I missed!!" Razz

But, you really need "a second set of eyes" when prepping a document.
You can look at that thing hundreds of times, and never see it. Bring
in someone else, and they'll spot it right off the bat!!

Daryl

... Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sun, 20.09.20 15:32
Re: Hello?
DS> I think I've got the bugs worked out now (now, I just jinxed
DS> myself <G>).

CL> I don't think that ever happens, atleast not in my lifetime for
CL> me...LOL

Well, when a Sysop goes off on vacation, the BBS develops its own
case of "separation anxiety", and promptly crashes.

Daryl

... Nudist Colony Sign: CLOTHED for the winter months.

From: C.g. Learn (1:275/95)
To: All
Date: Tue, 22.09.20 18:04
Re: Hello?
DS> Then, you have to find more round tuit's to get it done. <G>

LOL, yup, I know what you mean

DS> What I hate is when reading the autoposts, or look back at bulletins,
DS> I see errors, and grumble "D@mn!! Another one I missed!!" Razz

I find mistakes everyday

DS> But, you really need "a second set of eyes" when prepping a document.
DS> You can look at that thing hundreds of times, and never see it. Bring
DS> in someone else, and they'll spot it right off the bat!!

My roommate Nick, does my proofreading now, but even he misses
things. The language really flies when both of us miss it...LOL

From: C.g. Learn (1:275/95)
To: All
Date: Tue, 22.09.20 18:07
Re: Hello?
DS> Well, when a Sysop goes off on vacation, the BBS develops its own
DS> case of "separation anxiety", and promptly crashes.

Right you are. Without fail, if I go out of town, something happens to
lock up the system. Last time, a hard drive failed in my RAID setup, it
kept going, but it slowed the system down to a crawl. It's def not a
boring hobby. LOL

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Wed, 23.09.20 08:57
Re: Hello?
C.G.,

DS> Then, you have to find more round tuit's to get it done. <G>
DS>
CL> LOL, yup, I know what you mean

Mine are back ordered. <G>

DS> What I hate is when reading the autoposts, or look back at bulletins,
DS> I see errors, and grumble "D@mn!! Another one I missed!!" Razz
DS>
CL> I find mistakes everyday

And, you feel so stupid afterwards. Razz

DS> But, you really need "a second set of eyes" when prepping a document.
DS> You can look at that thing hundreds of times, and never see it. Bring
DS> in someone else, and they'll spot it right off the bat!!

CL> My roommate Nick, does my proofreading now, but even he misses
CL> things. The language really flies when both of us miss it...LOL

LOL...and I'll bet you're eating humble pie and salted crow. My late wife
got me fat on both of those. <G>

Daryl

... Why give the airport weather?? No one lives there.

From: C.G. Learn (1:275/93)
To: All
Date: Fri, 25.09.20 17:59
Re: Hello?
Re: Re: Hello?
By: Daryl Stout to C.g. Learn on Wed Sep 23 2020 06:57 am

DS>> But, you really need "a second set of eyes" when prepping a
DS>> document. You can look at that thing hundreds of times, and never
DS>> see it. Bring in someone else, and they'll spot it right off the
bat!!

the best proofer I had, was my Mom, she was a english major, and a spelling
genius, nothing ever got by her. but, she's gone now. The worst is when you
read it, and several other people read it, and everyone misses the most simple
mistake, then a bbs user catches it, and calls you on your mistake. Happens all
the time. LOL

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

Play Trade Wars Between 10 Other BBS's On Valhalla's Trade Wars Game Server!
6 Fantastic Games Underway, Come Play Today!
--- SBBSecho 3.03-Win32
* Origin: Telnet://valhalla.synchro.net - Richmond, Virginia (1:275/93)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 18:19
Re: Hello?
C.G.,

CL> the best proofer I had, was my Mom, she was a english major, and a
CL> spelling genius, nothing ever got by her. but, she's gone now. The
CL> worst is when you read it, and several other people read it, and
CL> everyone misses the most simple mistake, then a bbs user catches it,
CL> and calls you on your mistake. Happens all the time. LOL

My late wife, who had poor eyesight (and thick glasses) did the same
thing. I got fat on humble pie and salted crow. <G>

Daryl

... If you put root beer in a square mug, is it now beer??