Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.09.20 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 15 2020
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

EPOD 20th - The Pyramids from Space

September 15, 2020

7Wonders

We’re celebrating 20 years of Earth Science Picture of the Day during
the month of September! Today’s photo features a popular EPOD from the
past. Thanks to all of our followers (on the blog, Facebook, Instagram
and Twitter) for supporting us. Thanks also to all of you who’ve
submitted your photos. We’re most appreciative. This EPOD was
originally published October 22, 2001.

Provided by: Earth Observatory, NASA GSFC
Summary author: Jim Foster

The Great Pyramid of Giza (Khufu), one of the Seven Ancient Wonders of
the World, was captured last August by astronauts onboard Space Station
Alpha. King Tut would be impressed. This photo has a resolution of
approximately 7 meters - objects 7 meters or about 22 feet across can
be detected. Shadows cast by the Sun allow Khufu and two other large
pyramids, Khafre and Menkaure, to be fairly easily recognized on this
photo (center of image and inset at left). Because the Sphinx isn't
tall enough to cast a deep shadow, it can't be readily distinguished -
it's slightly above and to the right of Khufu.

The Great Pyramid of Giza is the oldest, yet the only surviving wonder
of the Seven Ancient Wonders. The pyramids are in Giza, a necropolis of
ancient Memphis, and today part of Greater Cairo, Egypt.

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 3 weeks, 20 hours, 20 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)