Fidonet Portal






From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 02:52
Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

I am using an OS/2 Lan Server 3.0 installation in a virtual machine. At som=
e point it started exhibiting this rather strange behaviour: whenever I act=
ivate the window menu (Alt-Space or by clicking), select any of its entries=
(using keyboard or mouse) or click on one of the launchpad buttons I hear =
the typical "warning beep".

Has anybody got an idea what the reason for this could be? Also any hint on=
how I can fix this behaviour?
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 08:27
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>

On 10/3/19 4:52 PM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> I am using an OS/2 Lan Server 3.0 installation in a virtual machine. At
> some point it started exhibiting this rather strange behaviour:
> whenever I activate the window menu (Alt-Space or by clicking),
> select any of its entries (using keyboard or mouse) or click on one
> of the launchpad buttons I hear the typical "warning beep".
>
> Has anybody got an idea what the reason for this could be? Also any
> hint on how I can fix this behaviour?


I have no idea if it's related or not, but I've noticed something not
completely dissimilar.

I've found that if I focus on a VM (running Linux) and then remove the
focus, without properly releasing the keyboard (?Wink I end up with a
spurious beep 1–5 minutes later.

I've only noticed this in the last year or so.

I'm using VirtualBox running on Linux. What hypervisor are you using?



--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 06:34
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/03/19 03:52 PM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> I am using an OS/2 Lan Server 3.0 installation in a virtual machine. At some
point it started exhibiting this rather strange behaviour: whenever I activate
the window menu (Alt-Space or by clicking), select any of its entries (using
keyboard or mouse) or click on one of the launchpad buttons I hear the typical
"warning beep".
>
> Has anybody got an idea what the reason for this could be? Also any hint on
how I can fix this behaviour?
>

A couple of possibilities, something crashing, look in popuplog.os2 in
the root of your boot volume.
You're using Danis506.add and have a failing hard drive and it beeps
when there's a problem with reading/writing the drive.
Probably something else but the 1st is easy to check and the second is
more scary
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 18:05
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 04:27:08 UTC+2 schrieb Grant Taylor:
>
> I've only noticed this in the last year or so.
>
> I'm using VirtualBox running on Linux. What hypervisor are you using?

I am using VMWare Fusion on a Mac. Interestingly that behaviour started at some
point, and I can't recall having changed anything.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 18:07
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 04:34:28 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> A couple of possibilities, something crashing, look in popuplog.os2 in
> the root of your boot volume.

Thank you, that's a good one, but it does not contain any entries more recent
than a year old.

> You're using Danis506.add and have a failing hard drive and it beeps
> when there's a problem with reading/writing the drive.

No, I'm not using it. Also since I'm in a VM I don't think hardware problems
are very likely Smile
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 19:39
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/04/19 07:07 AM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 04:34:28 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
>
>> A couple of possibilities, something crashing, look in popuplog.os2 in
>> the root of your boot volume.
> Thank you, that's a good one, but it does not contain any entries more recent
than a year old.
>
>> You're using Danis506.add and have a failing hard drive and it beeps
>> when there's a problem with reading/writing the drive.
> No, I'm not using it. Also since I'm in a VM I don't think hardware problems
are very likely Smile

OK. You ever clean your INI files? Look at https://ecsoft2.org/wptools
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 20:07
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 17:39:19 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> OK. You ever clean your INI files? Look at https://ecsoft2.org/wptools

Thank you, I haven't done that for ages. checkini found quite a few things to
correct, but this did not solve the beep problem.

Not sure whether this helps, but I have tried out a few things and observed
that the beep I keep getting is lower and longer than the beep that I can
configure in the "warning beep" in the system setup.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 21:38
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 18:07:47 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:

> Not sure whether this helps, but I have tried out a few things and observed
that the beep I keep getting is lower and longer than the beep that I can
configure in the "warning beep" in the system setup.

Plus: I get this will all native PM menus, e.g. a program's menu bar at every
click.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 13:34
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 17:38:29 UTC, Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 18:07:47 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:
>
> > Not sure whether this helps, but I have tried out a few things and observed
that the beep I keep getting is lower and longer than the beep that I can
configure in the "warning beep" in the system setup.
>
> Plus: I get this will all native PM menus, e.g. a program's menu bar at every
click.

Do you have system sounds en- or disabled (System Setup -> Sound) ?
The sound which you hear in your VM just might be crippled to a
beeping noise?
The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.


--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 00:29
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 21:34:07 UTC+2 schrieb LSoens:
> Do you have system sounds en- or disabled (Syst. em Setup -> Sound) ?

I had already tried completely disabling them. This made no difference. Apart
from that sound does not work in the VM anyway (I can check that by trying to
play the different system sounds).

> The sound which you hear in your VM just might be crippled to a
> beeping noise?

I think I can rule that out. It is pretty much the warning sound that you
usually get when the system has some problem

> The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
> even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.

Not sure I understand this. I guess this only makes sense if I have sound on my
system, right?
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 10:38
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/04/19 01:29 PM, Martin Dietze wrote:
>> The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
>> even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.
> Not sure I understand this. I guess this only makes sense if I have sound on
my system, right?

Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled sounds.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 13:35
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 08:38:20 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled sounds=
..

I've given this a try, but no effect. As mentioned already, I have no sound=
in my VM. To my knowledge sound in an OS/2 guest with VMWare under MacOS g=
enerally does not work. When I try to play a wav file for instance, I get t=
he usual "not supported" dialog along with the usual warning tone (shorter,=
higher pitch), not the one I get with every click on a menu.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 14:33
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 11:35:56 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:
> When I try to play a wav file for instance, I get the usual "not supported"
dialog along with the usual warning tone (shorter, higher pitch), not the one I
get with every click on a menu.

I need to correct myself here. It is actually a sequence: first the lower
pitch, longer beep, then the shorter, higher pitch warning beep.

I have captured a screen video demonstrating what happens including the tones I
am getting. Maybe this helps (or at least avoids misunderstandings):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12pDXED66GWbc3FVK-OL2AqzQ6FkH-UTl/view?usp=shari
ng
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 20:29
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Yet another reply to myself: I took a snapshot and removed MMOS2 entirely.
After that the beep was still there. I think that pretty much proves that the
problem is not related to sound drivers or anything else multimedia-related.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 13:34
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi Martin

Martin Dietze wrote:
> Yet another reply to myself: I took a snapshot and removed MMOS2 entirely.
After that the beep was still there. I think that pretty much proves that the
problem is not related to sound drivers or anything else multimedia-related.
>


Does/Can your VM generate any log files? - might give a clue to the problem.


Regards

Pete
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 21:51
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 19:35:01 UTC+2 schrieb Pete:

> Does/Can your VM generate any log files? - might give a clue to the problem.

There's the usual vmware.log file for the VM, but it does not contain any hint.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 07:53
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/05/19 03:33 AM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 11:35:56 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:
>> When I try to play a wav file for instance, I get the usual "not supported"
dialog along with the usual warning tone (shorter, higher pitch), not the one I
get with every click on a menu.
> I need to correct myself here. It is actually a sequence: first the lower
pitch, longer beep, then the shorter, higher pitch warning beep.
>
> I have captured a screen video demonstrating what happens including the tones
I am getting. Maybe this helps (or at least avoids misunderstandings):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12pDXED66GWbc3FVK-OL2AqzQ6FkH-UTl/view?usp=shari
ng

That is a weird beep. If I understand correctly, this only happens when
using the mouse to open a menu? Not, for example, using ALT-F to open
the file menu.
If so, you might want to try changing your mouse driver. You're likely
using the default smouse driver that is included with OS/2, perhaps try
installing amouse and see if that changes behaviour. Great thing about
virtual machines is how easy it is to take a snapshot and revert if needed.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 10:37
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 05:54:01 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
> That is a weird beep. If I understand correctly, this only happens when
> using the mouse to open a menu? Not, for example, using ALT-F to open
> the file menu.

No, it also happens, when I use the keyboard.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 06.10.19 03:59
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 06:37:08 UTC, Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 05:54:01 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
> > That is a weird beep. If I understand correctly, this only happens when
> > using the mouse to open a menu? Not, for example, using ALT-F to open
> > the file menu.
>
> No, it also happens, when I use the keyboard.

Can you set up another small VM - just the system - to see what
happens? And give the VM PS/2 mouse and keyboard, not USB-.

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 18:25
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 11:59:17 UTC+2 schrieb LSoens:

> Can you set up another small VM - just the system - to see what
> happens? And give the VM PS/2 mouse and keyboard, not USB-.

With a clean install I don't have that beep. The existing installation is
configured for PS/2 mouse and keyboard already.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

ABOUT

This forum contains echomail areas hosted on Nightmare BBS You can browse local echomail areas, italian fidonet areas and a selection of international fidonet areas, reading messages posted by users in Nightmare BBS or even other BBSs all over the world. You can find file areas too (functional to fidonet technology). You can browse echomail areas and download files with no registration, but if you want to write messages in echomail areas, or use fidonet netmail (private messages with fidomet technology), you have to register. Only a minimal set of data is required, functional to echomail and netmail usage (name, password, email); a registration and login with facebook is provided too, to allow easy registration. If you won't follow rules (each echomail areas has its own, regularly posted in the echomail), your account may be suspended;

CONTACT