Fidonet Portal

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/400)
To: All
Date: Wed, 29.08.12 11:49
smelled like horse

processed: spam filter heuristic analysis disabled)

From: "alexander koryagin"

F2EP
Hi, Ardith Hinton! How are you?
on Wednesday, 29 of August, I read your message to alexander koryagin
about "smelled like horse"

AH> "The neophyte knows the rules... the expert knows the
AH> exceptions." Here's another example I remember from my childhood:

AH> TO OPEN DOOR,
AH> PUSH GATE.
AH> HOLD OPEN TILL
AH> OFF BUS.

AH> It's amazing how comfortably we do without articles at times, even now.
AH> Smile

In short, there is another rule on English. If you want to say something and be
sure that everyone understands it -- omit articles, because they can confuse a
lot of people. ;=) At least, do it when you write instructions.

[...Each bird loves to hear himself sing]
Bye Ardith!
Alexander (yAlexKo[]yandex.ru) + 2:5020/2140.91
fido7.english-tutor 2012

--- ifmail v.2.15dev5.4
* Origin: Demos online service (2:5020/400)