Fidonet Portal

From: Roy Witt (1:387/1)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.12.11 22:42
T h e F i d o G a z e t t e! Vol 5 No 20 Editorial
17 Dec 11 12:03, Sean Dennis wrote to Roy Witt:

JK>>> And still, in my Email folder Ward Dossche still mentions,
JK>>> in his words to some people, "charades as we just witnessed
JK>>> in the FTSC-election".

RW>> 8^) What's new?

SD> Nothing much it seems. The FTSC was a joke when I was a member.
SD> There was never any discussion of anything, just the usual
SD> tomfoolery: the Europeans and Russians going after themselves for the
SD> slightest error dealing with any sort of obscure minutae

I expect that is how it really is with the Russians, as they're excomming
sysops and points for frivolous policy violations, like posting too many
messages in an echo. Dunno where they get that out of policy.

SD> ; Ward questioning me about my qualifications for being on the FTSC,
SD> accusing me of being "Janis's [sic] lapdog", and holding a fool's
SD> court

Nothing new there. If you don't meet his standards, you're supposed to be
crawling under a rock...

SD> ; van der Vlist being vague and overly PC with everyone else;

Nothing new.

SD> the Russians being arrogant and condesending (sp?Wink if you dare
SD> mention anything is wrong with their overly verbose "documentation"
SD> written in terrible Engrish -- and that was just in the first two
SD> months after an election.

The Russkies are almost as PC as Vlist and stricter with themselves.

SD> The other ten months, not a word was said
SD> in the private FTSC echo except when the Europeans and Russians
SD> decided to give each other heartburn or someone dared to post a
SD> message to try to get the moribund "committee" to actually DO
SD> something to justify its existance.

I figured as much.

SD> Why does the FTSC exist these days? It is really nothing but an
SD> empty shell to gratify some people's egos. I see a few good names on
SD> the recently elected members list and I wish them luck dealing with
SD> the "usual suspects". It's nothing but a maelstorm of discontent
SD> like many areas in Fidonet.

SD> Meanwhile, Fidonet continues its fine tradition as being a technical
SD> and cultural backwater because of a few people that remain in the
SD> higher echelons of Fidonet and want to act like the network is their
SD> own personal fifedom. The trash could be taken out but the network
SD> administration is impotent and more concerned about kissing each
SD> other's asses and being politically correct rather than making
SD> Fidonet vibrant and active again. I'd like to hope that with new
SD> people in the administration of Fidonet that things would change.
SD> But in the very upper parts of Fidonet, there has not been a change
SD> in decades and the effects on the network of this stagnation are
SD> showing.

Agree with that.

SD> Ironically, I was -asked- to come back to Fidonet and I did so of my
SD> own free will only to realize that I was starting to step in the same
SD> pile of hot steaming crap that I stepped in the last time I haunted
SD> these echoes. Not this time, thankfully.

Welcome back... 8^)

SD> This is all just my opinion, of course. I'm sure I'll be castigated
SD> in here and villified in netmail by the usual suspects within a few
SD> days of this message being broadcast because I'm not politically
SD> correct.

Not from here you won't.

R\%/itt

,,,By the time you find greener pastures, you can't climb the fence!

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000-10
* Origin: SATX Alamo Area Net * South * Texas, USA * (1:387/1)