Fidonet Portal

From: Barbara (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Re: eCS won't boot : Driver not licensed?? (Used to work fine)
From: "Barbara" <bca.1824@knot.gmail.com>

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 02:43:09 UTC, atomic.frog@gmail.com wrote:

> Ok, still no luck.
> I'm not sure which driver thinks it's borked, it scrolls through all of them
and then clears the screen.
> I see the Integrated ACPI Support Driver for eComstation v 3.18 has loaded
> and then it is
> Power Management for eComstation v1.31
> and then it says "This driver is licensed for use only in conjunction with
eComstation..."

> It might be the JFS driver if I recall what a good boot looks like, but then
if that's the case, how did it get this far?

> I tried booting with my good disk and this "bad" one connected as external
but it only sees my data partition (also JFS). I tried booting with eCS 2.1
CD#1 but same problem, the C:\ drive where everything boots from doesn't seem
to be visible.

> Any other tips?
> Can I re-install eCS but no format? I have DFSee but not sure what could be
broken...this disk is good, all the other OS boot fine. eCS starts the boot at
least and the last I recall this computer had always been booting eCS just fine
(it was my primary OS until I switched laptops).

> On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 9:01:07 PM UTC-8, atomi...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 7:16:54 AM UTC-8, Pete wrote:
> > > Hi

as my primary OS. It actually quad-boots eCS (JFS), Win7-32bit, openSUSE and
PCBSD.

had to boot it up to grab some data. However, when it tries to boot eCS, it
stops saying that the driver (which driver?Wink is only licensed for eComstation
and won't work on OS/2. This _is_ eComstation and I do have a license.

> > > This is a but of a guess but the only way I know of that eCS can be
> > > distinguished from OS/2 would be for an eCS driver/software to check for
> > > the file [BootDrive]:\ecs\ECS_INST.FLG
> > >
> > > If the above file is missing - or maybe corrupt - I guess an ecs driver
> > > could decide that it is not installed on ecs.
> > >
> > > I think the 1st thing I would do is a chkdsk just to make sure there are
> > > no filesystem problems then double check the existence of the
> > > [BootDrive]:\ecs\ECS_INST.FLG file and that the contents of the file are
> > > unmangled text.
> > >

> > Hmm...that sounds like it might be the easier option. I will try to boot
from my even older T40p with that as an external drive. I'm a bit hesitant to
boot from the cloned drive because I think I've seen funny things happen before
doing that since I've mounted a drive with exactly the same objects
duplicated...

I can second Dave's LVM suggestion. A few months ago I had a very similar
problem when 3 out of 4 of my bootable partitions would boot, but one refused.

All had worked perfectly for 2 or 3 years until this happened.

My fix was to insert the eCS installation CD as if I were going to wipe and
reinstall the operating system. Then when it came to the part early in the
install where you could switch to the "Management Console" I had LVM "Check
Partition - Write corrections to disk". Then of course abort the install.
I'm
sure there are easier ways to use LVM.

I'd also had Dfsee checks done, and for some reason it did not catch the LVM
error. Or if it did, I didn't know how to read it and make the correction from

there.

I believe the boot process makes up things when it gets lost, and pointing out
something like a bad driver just means it can't find it.

--
Barbara
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Andreas Schnellbacher (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Re: eCS won't boot : Driver not licensed?? (Used to work fine)
From: Andreas Schnellbacher <aschn@despammed.com>

On 17.01.19 16:16, Pete wrote:

> This is a but of a guess but the only way I know of that eCS can be
> distinguished from OS/2 would be for an eCS driver/software to check for the
> file [BootDrive]:\ecs\ECS_INST.FLG
>
> If the above file is missing - or maybe corrupt - I guess an ecs driver could
> decide that it is not installed on ecs.
>
> I think the 1st thing I would do is a chkdsk just to make sure there are no
> filesystem problems then double check the existence of the
> [BootDrive]:\ecs\ECS_INST.FLG file and that the contents of the file are
> unmangled text.

Another guess: I find it more likely that these files are involved:

?:\OS2\ecsreg.ini
?:\OS2\ecsreg11.ini (since eCS 1.1)
?:\ecs\dll\SECURIT2.DLL

--
Andreas Schnellbacher
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: atomic.frog@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Re: eCS won't boot : Driver not licensed?? (Used to work fine)
From: atomic.frog@gmail.com

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 3:34:49 AM UTC-8, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote=
:
> On 17.01.19 16:16, Pete wrote:
>
> > This is a but of a guess but the only way I know of that eCS can be
> > distinguished from OS/2 would be for an eCS driver/software to check fo=
r the
> > file [BootDrive]:\ecs\ECS_INST.FLG
> >
> > If the above file is missing - or maybe corrupt - I guess an ecs driver=
could
> > decide that it is not installed on ecs.
> >
> > I think the 1st thing I would do is a chkdsk just to make sure there ar=
e no
> > filesystem problems then double check the existence of the
> > [BootDrive]:\ecs\ECS_INST.FLG file and that the contents of the file ar=
> > unmangled text.
>
> Another guess: I find it more likely that these files are involved:
>
> ?:\OS2\ecsreg.ini
> ?:\OS2\ecsreg11.ini (since eCS 1.1)
> ?:\ecs\dll\SECURIT2.DLL

So I cloned the drive first, then booted with the eCS 2.1 CD and tried to f=
iddle with the various recovery tools and options

There did seem to be some LVM error so I let it fix that and re-booted. Sti=
ll no luck, but then I noticed that in the process it had also somehow lost=
a drive letter, so I re-assigned C: to the drive and re-booted again... an=
d success! Up and running again!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2