Fidonet Portal

From: bikeguychicago@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Sound help for Win/OS2 and DOS session
From: bikeguychicago@gmail.com

I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound wor=
ks fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS =
sessions.

I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments.=
Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't =
any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are ther=
e generic drivers that can be used instead?

Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a derivat=
ive, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I need=
to do to install any required drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Keith Sheehan
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Re: Sound help for Win/OS2 and DOS session
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

bikeguychicago@gmail.com wrote:
> I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works
fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS
sessions.

> I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments.
Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any
Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there
generic drivers that can be used instead?

> Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a
derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I
need to do to install any required drivers.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You're pretty well out of luck for sound on DOS and WinOS2 unless you
have really old hardware.
One option is to use DosBox, somewhat slow but good for many old games
Dave

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Re: Sound help for Win/OS2 and DOS session
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi Keith

bikeguychicago@gmail.com wrote:
> I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works
fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS
sessions.

> I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments.
Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any
Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there
generic drivers that can be used instead?

> Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a
derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I
need to do to install any required drivers.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Keith Sheehan

Sadly the uniaud sound driver does not support DOS/Win16 sessions.

There is a driver somewhere that does offer Win16 support called DTA -
Data Transport Agent, I think - and may have some DOS support. The only
place I can find a copy is in the ecomstation betazone so you need an
ecomstation login to download the file.

The few old DOS games I have play well in DOSBox which has a virtual
soundblaster.

Any idea what sound chipset is installed in the R60? - there may be an
alternative driver.

Regards

Pete
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: bikeguychicago@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 19:26
Re: Sound help for Win/OS2 and DOS session
From: bikeguychicago@gmail.com

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:47 PM UTC-5, Pete wrote:

> Any idea what sound chipset is installed in the R60? - there may be an
> alternative driver.

According to the Lenovo site, it has an ADI AD1981HD chipset.

Thanks for the advice on DosBox, I will give that a go.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2