Fidonet Portal

From: Marcel Mueller (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Access to OS/2 server using cifs/Samba
From: Marcel Mueller <news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org>

I need to connect to an OS/2 VM (eCS 1.05 with all patches, IBM Peer
Client) from a Linux box (Mint 17.3). (*1)

Up to now I used the built-in nfs 3 server of OS/2. But this very old
thing is buggy and when I switched from from svn to git it finally gave up.

Now the next idea was to use cifs. OK, I enabled LANMA2 authentication
on the client and adjusted the mount options (mainly servern= and
sec=lanman). Now I can mount the share, and access the files. But
unfortunately git hangs with errors during directory scan.

A Wireshark trace turned out that cifs uses an invalid TRANS2 info level
263 (Query File All Info). This info level did not exist in the LANMAN 2
protocol level. And so the server always responds with "Unknown Info Level".

Obviously cifs uses a higher protocol level than negotiated. This does
not only happen with to git. Other applications like Midnight Commander
or Eclipse raise the same errors. But they do not care that much about a
failed stat(Wink calls.
Restricting "client max protocol" to LANMAN2 does not change anything.

Of course, this is a bug in cifs. But is there a Work around?

I cannot simply change the cifs module of Mint 17 (i.e. Ubuntu 14.04).
And if I could do so, is it fixed in newer Samba versions? I did not
find anything related in the Samba bug tracker.

Marcel

(*1) The development IDE resides on Linux but the files need to be
located on OS/2 because otherwise make and gcc take about 10 times
longer to compile. So I do not want to host the files on the Linux
machine and use the Samba shares from OS/2.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Access to OS/2 server using cifs/Samba
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:12:35 UTC, Marcel Mueller
<news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org> wrote:

> I need to connect to an OS/2 VM (eCS 1.05 with all patches, IBM Peer
> Client) from a Linux box (Mint 17.3). (*1)

Works for me with Samba server for eCS (http://trac.netlabs.org/sambaWink
and Linux Mint 17.3 as client. As well as back from eCS EVFSGUI to
Samba Server on the Linux machine. smb.conf file comes preconfigured
and needs few adjustments only.
Good luck

Lothar

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Marcel Mueller (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Access to OS/2 server using cifs/Samba
From: Marcel Mueller <news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org>

On 01.08.16 17.41, LSoens wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:12:35 UTC, Marcel Mueller
> <news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org> wrote:
>
>> I need to connect to an OS/2 VM (eCS 1.05 with all patches, IBM Peer
>> Client) from a Linux box (Mint 17.3). (*1)
>
> Works for me with Samba server for eCS (http://trac.netlabs.org/sambaWink
> and Linux Mint 17.3 as client. As well as back from eCS EVFSGUI to
> Samba Server on the Linux machine. smb.conf file comes preconfigured
> and needs few adjustments only.

Hmm, Samba to Samba is likely to work, of course.

But AFAIK I neither have an EVFS nor NetDrive license with eCS 1.05. And
installing the samba server probably conflicts with IBM peer and
therefore finally removes the client support at all.

Marcel
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Access to OS/2 server using cifs/Samba
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 18:37:15 UTC, Marcel Mueller
<news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org> wrote:

> Hmm, Samba to Samba is likely to work, of course.
>
> But AFAIK I neither have an EVFS nor NetDrive license with eCS 1.05. And
> installing the samba server probably conflicts with IBM peer and
> therefore finally removes the client support at all.

In order to connect from Linux to eCS shares the eCS Samba

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Access to OS/2 server using cifs/Samba
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

oops, something went wrong sending my reply.... I try again:

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 18:37:15 UTC, Marcel Mueller
<news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org> wrote:

> Hmm, Samba to Samba is likely to work, of course.
>
> But AFAIK I neither have an EVFS nor NetDrive license with eCS 1.05. And
> installing the samba server probably conflicts with IBM peer and
> therefore finally removes the client support at all.

In order to connect from Linux to _eCS shares_ only, the eCS Samba
server will be suficcient, if your system meets its requirements (e.g.
recent tcp/ip stack).
EVFS or Netdrive are for Samba _client_ on eCS.

Regards, Lothar

From: Marcel Mueller (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Access to OS/2 server using cifs/Samba
From: Marcel Mueller <news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org>

On 02.08.16 09.06, LSoens wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 18:37:15 UTC, Marcel Mueller
> <news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org> wrote:
>> But AFAIK I neither have an EVFS nor NetDrive license with eCS 1.05. And
>> installing the samba server probably conflicts with IBM peer and
>> therefore finally removes the client support at all.
>
> In order to connect from Linux to _eCS shares_ only, the eCS Samba
> server will be suficcient, if your system meets its requirements (e.g.
> recent tcp/ip stack).
> EVFS or Netdrive are for Samba _client_ on eCS.

Yes I know. But all user data resides on the file server. OS/2 has only
a small system partition. So I primarily need the /client/ functionality
to access the Linux server.

Only gcc and maybe a few other programs (e.g. Thunderbird) perform
really bad, when the files are on the file server. And only in this case
I need to go the other way around. In fact this is already a work around.
Maybe the samba client would also solve this issue. But it is not free.

I tried a test version of Netdrive once. It was unreliable under heavy
load. IBM peer in contrast has limited functionality but it is solid as
a rock.

Marcel
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2