Fidonet Portal

From: Dilbert Firestorm (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@byteme.com>

Steven Levine wrote:

>In <uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-4zZsdiNyB2Iy@poblano>, on 09/17/2006
> at 03:12 PM, "Stan Goodman" <SPAM_FOILER@some.domain> said:
>

>>That's probably because Ray is dead.
>>

>Probably not. He still owns the www.wva.net domain and several of his IPs
>still have working servers that respond.
>
>I suspect his interests are just elsewhere.
>
>I can't find the html pages at the moment, but here are some images of his
>handywork.
>
> http://www.wva.net/shelbys/69/0153/picts/
>
>Steven

http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0405H/vnewsft.htm

scroll down to the sio comment section. it has brief mention about ray
gwinn retirement. apparently the annoucement was posted on the
ecomstation ng.

its wierd that his retirement wasn't widely reported.

I can't find the thread at google groups.

I registered for com 1.60d drivers, never did get the sio2k working when
it first came out. I assume the last release version works.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: David T. Johnson (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: "David T. Johnson" <djohnson@isomedia.com>

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
> Steven Levine wrote:
>
>> In <uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-4zZsdiNyB2Iy@poblano>, on 09/17/2006
>> at 03:12 PM, "Stan Goodman" <SPAM_FOILER@some.domain> said:
>>

>>> That's probably because Ray is dead.
>>>

>> Probably not. He still owns the www.wva.net domain and several of his
>> IPs
>> still have working servers that respond.
>>
>> I suspect his interests are just elsewhere.
>>
>> I can't find the html pages at the moment, but here are some images of
>> his
>> handywork.
>>
>> http://www.wva.net/shelbys/69/0153/picts/
>>
>> Steven
>>

> http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0405H/vnewsft.htm
>
> scroll down to the sio comment section. it has brief mention about ray
> gwinn retirement. apparently the annoucement was posted on the
> ecomstation ng.
>

> its wierd that his retirement wasn't widely reported.
> I can't find the thread at google groups.
>
> I registered for com 1.60d drivers, never did get the sio2k working when
> it first came out. I assume the last release version works.

Yes, it looks as though Mr. Gwinn is no longer supporting his serial
port driver but I have to admit that I don't understand the point of
this thread. When OS/2 was young, the com.sys driver that came with
OS/2 didn't work very well, if at all, and serial ports were an
absolutely essential hardware item for connecting important peripherals
such as printers, mice, modems, etc. As a result, Mr. Gwinn came out
with his sio.sys OS/2 serial port driver that worked very well and he
sold it for a very nominal fee. Thousands of users bought it. Now,
though, the last few serial port drivers that IBM supplied for OS/2 as
well as their final 'pci' com.sys driver worked with just about all of
the now-legacy com hardware ports that still exist so why would people
need to buy another driver? On top of that, not that many new systems
even have a serial port anymore and there is very little hardware that
uses a serial port. Mice, for example, went from to serial ports to PS2
and now are mostly USB. Printers haven't used serial ports for years.
There are still a few serial port modems but most people don't use
modems if they have access to DSL or cable. If they do use a modem,
it's probably a laptop which can use a PCMCIA modem which doesn't need a
serial port. If they are using an OS/2 desktop system with a modem,
they would need a serial port driver but that's gotta be an awfully
small group, and those people should probably use the last IBM 16-port
com.sys driver that was released a couple of years ago.

To be more succinct, I think it's safe to let Mr. Gwinn retire from his
sio.sys duties.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a

From: Richard Steiner (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner)

Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
"David T. Johnson" <djohnson@isomedia.com> spake unto us, saying:

>Yes, it looks as though Mr. Gwinn is no longer supporting his serial
>port driver but I have to admit that I don't understand the point of
>this thread.

The point of the speculation? That seems rather obvious to me...

> When OS/2 was young, the com.sys driver that came with
>OS/2 didn't work very well, if at all, and serial ports were an
>absolutely essential hardware item for connecting important peripherals
>such as printers, mice, modems, etc. As a result, Mr. Gwinn came out
>with his sio.sys OS/2 serial port driver that worked very well and he
>sold it for a very nominal fee. Thousands of users bought it. Now,
>though, the last few serial port drivers that IBM supplied for OS/2 as
>well as their final 'pci' com.sys driver worked with just about all of
>the now-legacy com hardware ports that still exist so why would people
>need to buy another driver?

I purchased SIO for its VModem functionality, actually. That and PMLM
are a nice set of tools if you want to be weird and use something like
Telemate as a telnet client under OS/2.

Not that I would do such a thing... Much, anyway. ;-)

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Steven Levine (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: Steven Levine <steve53@earthlink.bogus.net>

In <eens0a$h0n$1@news.datasync.com>, on 09/18/2006
at 11:34 PM, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@byteme.com> said:

>I registered for com 1.60d drivers, never did get the sio2k working when
>it first came out. I assume the last release version works.

It does. The only app I had trouble with what the icat debugger. The IBM
guy was pretty much convinced this was an icat defect. Unfortunately, he
never got a budget to fix. The workaround was to use com.sys with icat.

These days the PCI version of com.sys is a lot better than it was back
then. It will never be as flexible as sio2k, but it supports a large
number of PCI com ports.

Regards,

Steven

------------
Steven Levine <steve53@earthlink.bogus.net> MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
------------

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Steve Wendt (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: Steve Wendt <spamsux@forgetit.org>

Steven Levine wrote:

>> I registered for com 1.60d drivers, never did get the sio2k working when
>> it first came out. I assume the last release version works.
>
> It does.

Did all the UART traps get fixed, or does that still require the extra
hack that Veit made?
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Steven Levine (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: Steven Levine <steve53@earthlink.bogus.net>

In <5RnQg.3821$e66.2647@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, on 09/21/2006
at 03:40 AM, Steve Wendt <spamsux@forgetit.org> said:

>Did all the UART traps get fixed, or does that still require the extra
>hack that Veit made?

All the traps I knew of got fixed. It's hard to say if the patch is still
required. I never experienced the trap. Ray may have fixed to logic to
decode the ioctl2 call properly.

Regards,

Steven

From: fisa (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: SIO2K registration where?
From: fisa <fisafisa@ntlworld.com>

Add to this the fact that com.sys did not work in my case (DELL 5100)
while sio.sys did!

Filippo