Fidonet Portal

From: Gilberto F da Silva (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 04.01.20 08:15
I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Gilberto F da Silva

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 04.01.20 03:16
Re: I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Dave Yeo

On 01/04/20 05:15 AM, Gilberto F da Silva wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I create boot sticks on Linux using the dd command
> but with ArcaOS iso it doesn't work.
>
> In ArcaOS version 5.0.2 there is a utility for this but
> I do not intend to buy another license from ArcaOS. So far
> I didn't do anything useful with ArcaOS.

OS/2 is weird to boot from USB so Arca Noae has com up with a weird way
to boot it. Unluckily you basically need version 5.0.2 or newer to
access the script to build the USB stick.
Does using a DVD not work for you? Another option would be installing in
VirtualBox where you can just mount the ISO and cloning the install and
using it on real hardware that way.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 04.01.20 03:16
Re: I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

From: Gilberto F da Silva (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 01.06.20 17:09
Re: I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Gilberto F da Silva <2458099@smtp.gmail.com>

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Gilberto F da Silva (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 01.06.20 11:44
Re: I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Gilberto F da Silva <gfs1989@gmx.net>

Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 01/04/20 05:15 AM, Gilberto F da Silva wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>>               I create boot sticks on Linux using the dd
command
>>               but with ArcaOS iso it doesn't work.
>>
>>               In ArcaOS version 5.0.2 there is a utility for
this but
>>               I do not intend to buy another license from
ArcaOS. So far
>>               I didn't do anything useful with ArcaOS.
>>

> OS/2 is weird to boot from USB so Arca Noae has com up with a weird way
> to boot it.

OS/2 and its successors are very boring to install. You must first
install OS/2 and then install the other operating systems. In the event
of a later problem with OS/2, it is not possible to redo the
installation without losing the other operating systems. TRAP errors are
part of the life of OS/2 users.

Gilberto

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Marcel Mueller (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Tue, 02.06.20 05:32
Re: I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Marcel Mueller <news.5.maazl@spamgourmet.org>

Am 01.06.20 um 23:44 schrieb Gilberto F da Silva:
> OS/2 and its successors are very boring to install. You must first
> install OS/2 and then install the other operating systems. In the event
> of a later problem with OS/2, it is not possible to redo the
> installation without losing the other operating systems.

I can't confirm this. Only the boot sector (e.g. grub) has to be
reinitialized after the installation. Then the other OS are back.

But nowadays it is much more convenient to run several OS in parallel
with VMs. OS/2 works quite well in a VM. So no more need for dual boot.

> TRAP errors are part of the life of OS/2 users.

Can't confirm this either. I see this screen no more than once per year.
WPS hangups that can only be cured by reboot are by far more often.

Marcel
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Tue, 02.06.20 11:55
Re: I need boot stick with ArcaOS
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 06/01/20 02:44 PM, Gilberto F da Silva wrote:
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> On 01/04/20 05:15 AM, Gilberto F da Silva wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I create boot sticks on Linux using the dd command
>>> but with ArcaOS iso it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> In ArcaOS version 5.0.2 there is a utility for this but
>>> I do not intend to buy another license from ArcaOS. So far
>>> I didn't do anything useful with ArcaOS.
>>>

>> OS/2 is weird to boot from USB so Arca Noae has com up with a weird way
>> to boot it.
>
> OS/2 and its successors are very boring to install. You must first
> install OS/2 and then install the other operating systems. In the event
> of a later problem with OS/2, it is not possible to redo the
> installation without losing the other operating systems.

Sure it is. The only important thing is to do the partitioning with OS/2
tools. Depending on the install, you might have to fix the MBR after
reinstalling OS/2. It does take some planning though, things like
installing grub in /boot rather then the MBR.

> TRAP errors are
> part of the life of OS/2 users.

This is usually a sign of bad hardware or a bad driver.
Dave

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Gilberto F da Silva (1:396/4)
To: All