Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 28.05.20 22:01
The Pit
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?

The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool football door
game as well.

Thanks
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

From: Thumper (1:218/601)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 29.05.20 11:02
Re: The Pit
-=> Charles Stephenson wrote to All Hello all,

CS> I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?

CS> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
CS> football door game as well.

Yup. Run it at The Wastelands BBS.

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
* Origin: The Wastelands BBS 1:218/601 (1:218/601)

From: Troy Tuttle (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 30.05.20 12:39
Re: The Pit
CS> I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?
CS>
CS> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
CS> football door game as well.

Definitely one of my favourite door games of all time for sure.

Although he died back in 1999 so it wasn't that recent.

Didn't know about the football door though. Not a fan of the sport
particularly but a fan of his work so probably warrants checking it out.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/04/13 (Linux/64)
* Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)

From: Rodrigo Pelaez (4:900/102)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 30.05.20 20:57
Re: The Pit
Sad news and such a great game, The Pit...

Charles, do you remember the name of the football game? I want to check it
out. Thanks!

***
Don Rolo - The Vault BBS - thevaultbbs.fsxnet.nz:2323
Only curated content. Atari/ZX Spectrum/C64/DOS stuff
ANSI & ASCII Art Packs and... +180 Door Games!

* Origin: The Vault BBS (4:900/102)

From: Ryan Fantus (1:218/820)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 31.05.20 15:40
Re: The Pit
TT> Didn't know about the football door though. Not a fan of the sport
TT> particularly but a fan of his work so probably warrants checking it out.

Same - let me know if you're able to track down a copy.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/05/28 (Linux/64)
* Origin: monterey bbs (1:218/820)

From: David Smith (1:123/180)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 04.06.20 15:28
Re: The Pit
CS> I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?
CS>
CS> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
CS> football door game as well.

I'm running it here. I had a licensed copy on a 1.44MB Floppy Disk from my
BBS days back in the 90's, but was unable to read the disk. Fortunately I was
able to find another version of the game and get it back up and running.
Would love to find the football game as well!

* Origin: Daves BBS (1:123/180)

From: Kris Mccabe (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 04.06.20 16:00
Re: The Pit
I know Amiga City has it running as well.

.-: On Thu 4-Jun-2020 1:28p, David Smith@1:123/180.0 said to Charles
Stephenson :-.
DS: CS> I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?
DS: CS>
DS: CS> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
DS: CS> football door game as well.

DS: I'm running it here. I had a licensed copy on a 1.44MB Floppy Disk from my
DS: BBS days back in the 90's, but was unable to read the disk. Fortunately I
DS: was
DS: able to find another version of the game and get it back up and running.
DS: Would love to find the football game as well!

DS: --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/32)
DS: * Origin: Daves BBS (1:123/180)

.: Oderus Urungus :.
.: Planet Scumdogia :.
.: Reign Of Fire BBS :.
.:rof.cnetbbs.net:2300:.
* C-Net/5
* Origin: rof.cnetbbs.net:2300 * rof.cnet64.com:6400 (1:154/50)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 03:25
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Thumper to Charles Stephenson on Fri May 29 2020 09:02 am

CS>> I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?

CS>> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
CS>> football door game as well.

Th> Yup. Run it at The Wastelands BBS.

Do you know if his version is registered?

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 03:26
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Troy Tuttle to Charles Stephenson on Sat May 30 2020 10:39 am

TT> Definitely one of my favourite door games of all time for sure.

TT> Although he died back in 1999 so it wasn't that recent.

TT> Didn't know about the football door though. Not a fan of the sport
TT> particularly but a fan of his work so probably warrants checking it out.

I'm pretty sure I played his Football door years ago and I liked it. Trying to
get the reg. codes for Todd so he can put it up in Door Party.

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 03:27
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Rodrigo Pelaez to Charles Stephenson on Sat May 30 2020 06:57 pm

RP> Sad news and such a great game, The Pit...

RP> Charles, do you remember the name of the football game? I want to check it
RP> out. Thanks!

Trying to help get it setup on Door Party, but without the Reg. code it has
mjor limitations. Looking for someone with a reg. 'The Pit' door, made by the
same author.

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 03:29
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: David Smith to Charles Stephenson on Thu Jun 04 2020 01:28 pm

DS> I'm running it here. I had a licensed copy on a 1.44MB Floppy Disk from my
DS> BBS days back in the 90's, but was unable to read the disk. Fortunately I
DS> was able to find another version of the game and get it back up and
DS> running. Would love to find the football game as well!

Can you message the guy that runs Door Party? You might be of some help to him.
He's trying to install that, and another door that the author made. He's been
searching on the internet for help with no luck. Figured someone here would be
very helpful!

From: Rodrigo Pelaez (4:900/102)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 15:52
Re: The Pit
CS> Trying to help get it setup on Door Party, but without the Reg. code it
CS> has mjor limitations. Looking for someone with a reg. 'The Pit' door,
CS> made by the same author.

Please, let me know if you find a working registered game, and if you
remember the name of the football game...
Thanks!

***

From: Thumper (1:218/601)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 09:44
Re: The Pit
-=> Charles Stephenson wrote to Thumper Re: Re: The Pit
CS> By: Thumper to Charles Stephenson on Fri May 29 2020 09:02 am

CS>> I'm wondering if anyone here is running the old door game 'The Pit'?

CS>> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
CS>> football door game as well.

Th> Yup. Run it at The Wastelands BBS.

CS> Do you know if his version is registered?

Not sure. I'll look into it.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
* Origin: The Wastelands BBS -=Since 1990=- (1:218/601)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 20.06.20 10:10
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Rodrigo Pelaez to Charles Stephenson on Wed Jun 10 2020 01:52 pm

RP> Please, let me know if you find a working registered game, and if you
RP> remember the name of the football game...

There are 2 working copies on Door Party, one is a football game, the other a
basketball game from the same author. The football game the limit is using the
short pass feature, which sucks. Otherwise i'd play it like ALL the time!

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 20.06.20 10:12
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Thumper to Charles Stephenson on Wed Jun 10 2020 07:44 am

CS>>> The author passed away recently. (RIP) he also made a pretty cool
CS>>> football door game as well.

Th>> Yup. Run it at The Wastelands BBS.

Th>> Do you know if his version is registered?

Th> Not sure. I'll look into it.

I logged on, It's not registered. I found it on 2 other BBSes, not registered
either. sucks, it's a game I really like. Sad

From: Troy Tuttle (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 18:40
Re: The Pit
CS> I logged on, It's not registered. I found it on 2 other BBSes, not
CS> registered either. sucks, it's a game I really like. Sad

That's too bad, since I spent a lot of time reverse engineering The Pit I've
come to understand that his method of registration was a different build of
the unregistered version. So you can't just crack it or generate a key for
it, you need to actually have a copy of the registered binary.

It's possible he did something different with those games but I'd have to get
a copy of them to have a look at the internals. Sadly based on what I've seen
so far, I'm not expecting much to be possible.

From: Rodrigo Pelaez (4:900/102)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 20:39
Re: The Pit
CS> other a basketball game from the same author. The football game the
CS> limit is using the short pass feature, which sucks. Otherwise i'd play
CS> it like ALL the time! --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux

yes! it's unregistered I think. But guess only 5 dolars keep us out from
happiness!

***

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 28.07.20 05:55
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Troy Tuttle to Charles Stephenson on Sun Jun 21 2020 04:40 pm

TT> That's too bad, since I spent a lot of time reverse engineering The Pit
TT> I've come to understand that his method of registration was a different
TT> build of the unregistered version. So you can't just crack it or generate
TT> a key for it, you need to actually have a copy of the registered binary.

TT> It's possible he did something different with those games but I'd have to
TT> get a copy of them to have a look at the internals. Sadly based on what
TT> I've seen so far, I'm not expecting much to be possible.

He made some really good BBS Doorgames. Do you have the source for 'The Pit'?
The 2 games I was looking for keys was for the football (American) and
basketball game. I remember playing them years ago and loving them! THey're on
Doorparty now, but they're unregistered so it doesn't save stuff, or have all
the football plays. Sad

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 28.07.20 05:56
Re: The Pit
Re: Re: The Pit
By: Rodrigo Pelaez to Charles Stephenson on Sun Jun 21 2020 06:39 pm

RP> yes! it's unregistered I think. But guess only 5 dolars keep us out from
RP> happiness!

I would happily pay the 5 (10 dollars for 2 games I want) to get the reg. key!

From: Troy Tuttle (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 28.07.20 10:21
Re: The Pit
CS> He made some really good BBS Doorgames. Do you have the source for 'The
CS> Pit'? The 2 games I was looking for keys was for the football (American)
CS> and basketball game. I remember playing them years ago and loving them!
CS> THey're on Doorparty now, but they're unregistered so it doesn't save
CS> stuff, or have all the football plays. Sad

No sadly I think the source is completely lost forever in the case of those
games. Which is unfortunate because the registered and unregistered versions
of his games are different binaries entirely. So there is nothing to unlock
with a key, if you registered he just sent you a different exe it seems.