Fidonet Portal

From: Jimmy Anderson (1:116/18.62)
To: All
Date: Wed, 08.08.18 15:28
Re: CQCQ
KM4UXV here - I've been away from Fido but back now. Welcome!

-=> DAVID ABUTBUL wrote to ALL Hello World

DA> Recently got into FidoNet and this seems like an echoarea i will be
DA> intrested in, however it also seems dead

DA> so cq from 4Z7DVX

DA> 73s
DA> kind regards

DA> --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
DA> * Origin: Nephilim.abutbul.com - The mother ship is calling.
DA> (2:400/55)

... Elvis has left the echo.
--- MultiMail/Darwin v0.49

--- InterEcho 1.20
* Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (1:116/18.62)

From: Jimmy Anderson (1:116/18.62)
To: All
Date: Wed, 08.08.18 15:28
Re: CQCQ
-=> ANDY BALL wrote to DAVID ABUTBUL Hello David!

DA> Recently got into FidoNet and this seems like an echoarea
> i will be intrested in, however it also seems dead so cq
> from 4Z7DVX

AB> A lot of echo conferences are quiet these days but you never
AB> know who's lurking unless you key up. ;-)

Sounds like the local repeaters... ;-) I turn the mobile on most of the time
when I'm in between job sites (I work IT for a school district) and most of the
time it's quiet. Sometimes I'll key up but I know if others are scanning they
might miss me too. I always wonder if no one is there or if everyone is like me
and waiting to see if someone ELSE is there. Smile

... More sugar!

From: Jimmy Anderson (1:116/18.62)
To: All
Date: Wed, 08.08.18 15:28
Re: CQCQ
-=> RICHARD MENEDETTER wrote to DAVID ABUTBUL Oh, may be able to catch up on DMR (4254039)

RM> I am not using it too much.
RM> But who knows ... maybe we bump into each other.
RM> (DMR ID 2321042/2163045)

I still haven't done anything with DMR or D-Star or any of that... Guess I have
too many OTHER interests... Smile

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: All
Date: Sun, 19.08.18 00:18
Re: CQCQ
JA> KM4UXV here - I've been away from Fido but back now. Welcome!

Welcome back my friend!
73s de 4Z7DVX

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: All
Date: Sun, 19.08.18 00:28
Re: CQCQ
JA> are scanning they might miss me too. I always wonder if no one is there
JA> or if everyone is like me and waiting to see if someone ELSE is there.

I feel you Smile our local repeaters are often silent, although DMR had gained
some popularity but not too many young joiners to the hobby.

I am 34 and most hams I know locally are older, or considerably older.

I understand this is not the same for USA and Japan.

Kind Regards
4Z7DVX

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Sun, 19.08.18 09:53
Re: CQCQ
-=> David Abutbul wrote to Jimmy Anderson KM4UXV here - I've been away from Fido but back now. Welcome!

DA> Welcome back my friend!
DA> 73s de 4Z7DVX

Thank you!!!

... I'm in shape ... round's a shape isn't it?
--- MultiMail/Darwin v0.49
* Origin: Omicron Theta (1:116/17)

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Sun, 19.08.18 09:55
Re: CQCQ
-=> David Abutbul wrote to Jimmy Anderson are scanning they might miss me too. I always wonder if no one is there
JA> or if everyone is like me and waiting to see if someone ELSE is there.

DA> I feel you Smile our local repeaters are often silent, although DMR had
DA> gained some popularity but not too many young joiners to the hobby.

Yeah, some DMR here, but I haven't jumped into that. No budget for new
stuff right now...

DA> I am 34 and most hams I know locally are older, or considerably older.

Well I'm 51, but only got into this about 2 or 3 years ago. Smile There
are some around here younger, but most are older than me. Smile Several
of them are ex-military as well.

DA> I understand this is not the same for USA and Japan.

Where are you?

... 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... (Bo Derek getting older).

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: All
Date: Mon, 20.08.18 11:13
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 08-19-18 07:55, Jimmy Anderson wrote to David Abutbul Yeah, some DMR here, but I haven't jumped into that. No budget for new
JA> stuff right now...

DMR is the cheapest of the DV modes to get into, as there's a few budget priced
radios around that apparently work reasonably well. I got mine for the best
price of all - won 2 DMR HTs in a Facebook promotion/competition. Smile

DA> I am 34 and most hams I know locally are older, or considerably older.

JA> Well I'm 51, but only got into this about 2 or 3 years ago. Smile There
JA> are some around here younger, but most are older than me. Smile Several
JA> of them are ex-military as well.

I'm 50 and the vast majority of hams in the local club are older than me.
There are a handful of younger ones around too. I'm also rather unusual for a
ham, being physically active as well. My idea of "radiosport" is not sitting
around racking up points in a contest, but something more like ARDF. Smile I do
hope we can get more younger hams, there's a lot of knowledge and experience in
our club that needs to be passed on, before it's too late.

DA> I understand this is not the same for USA and Japan.

JA> Where are you?

For the record, I'm in Australia. Smile David's in Israel, IIRC.

... Adolescence, n.: The stage between Puberty and adultry
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Wed, 22.08.18 16:16
Re: CQCQ
-=> Tony Langdon wrote to Jimmy Anderson On 08-19-18 07:55, Jimmy Anderson wrote to David Abutbul Yeah, some DMR here, but I haven't jumped into that. No budget for new
JA> stuff right now...

TL> DMR is the cheapest of the DV modes to get into, as there's a few
TL> budget priced radios around that apparently work reasonably well. I
TL> got mine for the best price of all - won 2 DMR HTs in a Facebook
TL> promotion/competition. Smile

VERY cool! Smile

DA> I am 34 and most hams I know locally are older, or considerably older.

JA> Well I'm 51, but only got into this about 2 or 3 years ago. Smile There
JA> are some around here younger, but most are older than me. Smile Several
JA> of them are ex-military as well.

TL> I'm 50 and the vast majority of hams in the local club are older than
TL> me. There are a handful of younger ones around too. I'm also rather
TL> unusual for a ham, being physically active as well. My idea of
TL> "radiosport" is not sitting around racking up points in a contest, but
TL> something more like ARDF. Smile

I don't knock the guys that just want to connect for contests, but that's
not what interests me either. Smile

My wife and I used to Geocache a lot - and did it a lot with friends.
I think it would have been cool to have our radios back in those days... Smile

TL> I do hope we can get more younger hams,
TL> there's a lot of knowledge and experience in our club that needs to be
TL> passed on, before it's too late.

Yep!

DA> I understand this is not the same for USA and Japan.

JA> Where are you?

TL> For the record, I'm in Australia. Smile David's in Israel, IIRC.

Gotcha - I'm in the USA...

... DOS never says "EXCELLENT command or filename"

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Wed, 22.08.18 16:18
Re: CQCQ
-=> Richard Menedetter wrote to Jimmy Anderson Yeah, some DMR here, but I haven't jumped into that. No budget for new
JA> stuff right now...

RM> I bought my RD-5R DMR and analog dual band HT for 56 USD including
RM> shipping. The regular price is around 74 USD.

RM> Also the somewhat better (but monoband) Tytera MD380/MD390 are under
RM> 100 USD shipped.

RM> Not that much.
RM> The RD-5R is limited, but OK for a first sniff at DMR.
RM> For the MD380 you can get a GREAT homebrew firmware ...

We use TYT now, and yeah I remember now looking at the MD380/390
some time back. Not having an antenna in the air at home doesn't
help any. Smile

Just other hobbies that have taken precedence...

... The Adventures of WIN.INI the Pooh by W. Gates.

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: All
Date: Thu, 23.08.18 04:09
Re: CQCQ
JA> Where are you?

QTH is Israel

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: All
Date: Thu, 23.08.18 14:59
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 08-22-18 14:16, Jimmy Anderson wrote to Tony Langdon got mine for the best price of all - won 2 DMR HTs in a Facebook
TL> promotion/competition. Smile

JA> VERY cool! Smile

Yeah it was, nice little radios. Smile

JA> I don't knock the guys that just want to connect for contests, but
JA> that's not what interests me either. Smile

Neither do I, good on them. Been therer, gave it a go, but not my cup of tea.
Smile

JA> My wife and I used to Geocache a lot - and did it a lot with friends.
JA> I think it would have been cool to have our radios back in those
JA> days... Smile

I dabbled in geocaching. bit of fun, though just something I've done
sporadically.

TL> For the record, I'm in Australia. Smile David's in Israel, IIRC.

JA> Gotcha - I'm in the USA...

Cool. Smile

... Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

From: Ian Thurston (1:218/640)
To: All
Date: Fri, 24.08.18 00:20
Re: CQCQ
RM> DA> I am 34 and most hams I know locally are older, or considerably older

RM> I am 39 ... and still most HAMs are older ;)

39 here, been licensed since I was 13 and EVERYONE was older than I was back
then. Smile Packet Radio was my favorite mode, used to run a dialup BBS too
until the internet happened.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Vista BBS - Vallejo, CA USA (1:218/640)