Fidonet Portal

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 08:31
Blue Wave Linux
Re: Blue Wave Linux
By: Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas to All on Sun Jul 22 2018 02:31 pm

GF> is there any ported version of Blue Wave into Linux and/or Mac?

MultiMail is the closest you can get to the actual Blue Wave reader. The reader
was never an opensource project so there is no updating it unfortunately.

MultiMail 0.51 was released in April of this year.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Megahertz: when something is really painful.
--- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
* Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Tue, 24.07.18 02:02
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> On 07-23-18 08:40, Alan Ianson <=-
-=> spoke to Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas about Blue Wave Linux <=-

AI> Re: Blue Wave Linux
AI> By: Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas to Sean Dennis on Mon Jul 23 2018 06:28
AI> am
GF> I used to be a Blue Wave user, but that long long ago as you can imagine.
GF> (Nostalgia there, yeah)

AI> I was a Blue Wave user too many, many years ago. It still works
AI> although the reply packets are y2k broken there are ways to fix that.
AI> You'd have to ask a BW
AI> user how they do that today.

I have been a Blue Wave user since the mid 90's, and still use it
today.

There are two ways of fixing the Y2K problem with the QWK reader and REP
packets. A link containing both methods, and a lot of other BW related
programs is: http://www.wpusa.dynip.com/files/BLUEWAVE/

My recommendation for anyone who wants to use BW is the first fix on
that page.

I don't know if BW can run under Linux, but there is an OS/2 version.
Since my current computer is a 64 bit computer, I cannot run it in
native form -- but choose to run it in a virtual window with Win XP.

I have heard good words about Multimail.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 02:10:46, 24 Jul 2018
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 01:28
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> On 07-24-18 10:33, Shawn Highfield <=-
-=> spoke to Dale Shipp about Blue Wave Linux <=-

DS> I don't know if BW can run under Linux, but there is an OS/2 version.
DS> Since my current computer is a 64 bit computer, I cannot run it in
DS> native form -- but choose to run it in a virtual window with Win XP.

SH> I use it in dosbox on my 64bit windows and linux computer. So that
SH> will work as well!

There is another dos emulator that I like better than DosBox. It is
called vDOS, a link to info and download page is:
https://www.vdos.info/download.html

DosBox was mainly written to support games. The program vDos has some
other features which I find nice, e.g. you can configure it to print
something.

It is worth mentioning that both DOSBOX and vDOS have BlueWave
exhibiting two problems that it does not show when run in a 32-bit
environment.

One of these is minor and cannto (to my knowledge) be fixed. That is
that when BW is run in its usual environment, it does not alter the
date/time stamp of the QWK file. In fact it uses that fact to help
display the files and their read/personal info in the listing of QWK
files. When run with either DOS emulator, the date/time stamp is
changed -- presumably because they detect that the file has been touched
and changed.

The second one is more serious, but a fix has been issued. There is a
fairly long discussion on the forum Vogons about this. The solution is
given in the post as quoted below, but you will probably need to go to
that forum to get the link to the fix.

[quote]
The problem was easier to find with the DOSBox debugger than I thought
it would be. Blue Wave appears to have a flaw where it uses the DOS
"FindFirst" function INT 21/4E with a malformed filespec. Using the
example mail packet the program comes with, it tries to find
"C:\BWAVE\WORK\WELCOME.XTI*.BAK". MSDOS 5/6 and the WinXP NTVDM are
unforgiving and return error code 3 (invalid path), leading to a benign
result. DOSBox is more lenient, and finds the "WELCOME.XTI" work packet,
which the program proceeds to delete. Maybe the intent was to clean out
.BAK files in the work folder; but that seems redundant because the
program deletes *.* from there when it finishes recompressing the
packet. It's probably just a mistake that wasn't noticed until DOSBox
shed some light on it.

I adapted a little interrupt watchdog program to work around this
situation in DOSBox. It monitors the FindFirst function, and if it sees
a filespec with an extension of XTI* it will override with an error code
3 result. Run BWAVEFIX.COM from the BWAVE folder; it runs BWAVE.EXE as a
child program. The child exit errorlevel is reflected through the
parent, and the parent command line is given to the child, so the
program is friendly to batch files. Assembler source code is included in
the attached archive.

ATTACHMENTS
BWAVEFIX.ZIP
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
[/quote]

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18242&hilit=bluewave&start=20

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 01:53:46, 25 Jul 2018

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Thu, 26.07.18 01:38
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> On 07-24-18 16:18, Alan Ianson <=-
-=> spoke to Dale Shipp about Blue Wave Linux <=-

DS> My recommendation for anyone who wants to use BW is the first fix on
DS> that page.

AI> I notice there is no exe replacement in the first fix for OS2. Is the
AI> OS2 version also affected by this problem with rep packets? Maybe the
AI> other fix there is used for OS2?

I really do not know. I am using the first fix, which is a replacement
for the exe file. I don't even know if the OS/2 version had the Y2K
problem, nor whether or not the second fix (my bwrepfix, which is really
a bandaid) would work if it did. What that fix does is to put a batch
file around the Bwave program to intercept the call to packing up the
REP file and repair the defective file.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 01:41:37, 26 Jul 2018

From: Flavio Bessa (4:801/188)
To: All
Date: Mon, 03.09.18 14:18
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas wrote to Nighthawk <=-

FB> You can find it at https://multimail.sourceforge.io.

FB> Works like a charm under MacOS.

GFO> Flavio,

GFO> and how do you download the echomails?
GFO> If you re using Synchronet , can you give me a few tips about how to
GFO> setup all this up??

GFO> I am reading and looking around but not much progress at the moment.

GFO> Very much appreciated!!

What do you mean? Downloading echomail for me or for my system?

---
.-----________________--_ ________.--'-`--.____ Hugs from Flavio Bessa
\____==================_) \_'===================' Syzo of Saturn's Orbit
- -|__|-.______|=====/ `---' Netmail 4:801/189.1

and prosper... `-.__________,' Always UnionNET Addicted!

... "Entrou ar no meu ouvido!" - Cris

___ MultiMail/Mac v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A38 2018/01/01 (Windows/64)
* Origin: Saturn's Orbit BBS - Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (4:801/188)

From: Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas (2:250/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 03.09.18 20:26
Re: Blue Wave Linux
Re: Re: Blue Wave Linux
By: Flavio Bessa to Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas on Mon Sep 03 2018 02:18 pm

FB> GFO> Flavio,

FB> GFO> and how do you download the echomails?
FB> GFO> If you re using Synchronet , can you give me a few tips about how to
FB> GFO> setup all this up??

FB> GFO> I am reading and looking around but not much progress at the moment.
FB> What do you mean? Downloading echomail for me or for my system?

I am currently using multimail, all well so far.
By the way: I have wrapped Bluewave to work on MacOsX and it does the job all
right. I have been using the very latest paatched version for the 2K effect.
tested a few QWK packages from synchronet, and back to the flavour of the old
days....

I am currently sharing that version as follows on my BBS (unicyber.co.uk:2223):

BW_mac .zip A 3.1M Blue Wave Mail
(with expanded README.TXT)
Not supported by authors
Use at your own risk!
THis is a Draft-Trial for MacOsX

Many thanks Flavio.
--->RainManHood<---
--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
* Origin: Unicyber BBS --- bbs.unicyber.co.uk:2323 --- (2:250/4)

From: ptaylor (1:275/201.1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 01.10.18 22:00
RE: Blue Wave Linux
G> BW_mac .zip A 3.1M Blue Wave Mail
G> (with expanded README.TXT)
G> Not supported by authors
G> Use at your own risk!
G> THis is a Draft-Trial for MacOsX

Multimail is also available https://multimail.sourceforge.io/.

--- MagickaBBS v0.10alpha (Linux/x86_64)
* Origin: magickabbs.dynu.com (1:275/201.1)

From: Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas (2:250/4)
To: All
Date: Wed, 03.10.18 06:36
Re: Blue Wave Linux
Re: Re: Blue Wave Linux
By: ptaylor to Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas on Mon Oct 01 2018 10:00 pm

G>> BW_mac .zip A 3.1M Blue Wave Mail
G>> (with expanded README.TXT)
G>> Not supported by authors
G>> Use at your own risk!
G>> THis is a Draft-Trial for MacOsX

pt> Multimail is also available https://multimail.sourceforge.io/.

Yeah, I am also using that one, but I did that workaround. A bit of a nostalgia
thing and also anybody who is interested can have some fun..

From: Flavio Bessa (4:801/188)
To: All
Date: Sat, 10.11.18 21:14
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas wrote to Nighthawk <=-

FB> GFO> I am reading and looking around but not much progress at the moment.
FB> What do you mean? Downloading echomail for me or for my system?

GFO> I am currently using multimail, all well so far.
GFO> By the way: I have wrapped Bluewave to work on MacOsX and it does the
GFO> job all right. I have been using the very latest paatched version for
GFO> the 2K effect. tested a few QWK packages from synchronet, and back to
GFO> the flavour of the old days....

GFO> I am currently sharing that version as follows on my BBS
GFO> (unicyber.co.uk:2223):

This is really awesome! I tried to sign in into your system a few months ago,
but I was unable to, it said my account could not be created.

I will give it a try again later on.

---

From: Flavio Bessa (4:801/188)
To: All
Date: Sat, 10.11.18 21:14
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas wrote to Nighthawk <=-

FB> Awesome! I have tried to log on into your system, but I have been
FB> unable to (it does not accept me)... I will drop you a netmail with the
FB> details.

GFO> Apologies:!!
GFO> telnet bbs.unicyber.co.uk 2323

GFO> let me know

I will.

---
.-----________________--_ ________.--'-`--.____ Hugs from Flavio Bessa
\____==================_) \_'===================' Syzo of Saturn's Orbit
- -|__|-.______|=====/ `---' Netmail 4:801/189.1

and prosper... `-.__________,' Always UnionNET Addicted!

... ZAMUNDA WARRIORS, UNITE!!

From: Flavio Bessa (4:801/188)
To: All
Date: Thu, 13.12.18 07:37
Re: Blue Wave Linux
-=> Gonzalo Fernandez Ordas wrote to Nighthawk <=-

GFO> Flavio,

GFO> You got 2 user accounts.
GFO> I have deactivated y deleted both of them.

GFO> Whenever you wish, have another go.

Thanks a lot, it's working now.

---

From: Phil Taylor (1:275/201)
To: All
Date: Sun, 23.12.18 19:40
Re: Blue Wave Linux
What mail reader are you using on Linux?

--
yrNews Usenet Reader for iOS
http://appstore.com/yrNewsUsenetReader

--- Mystic BBS/NNTP v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
* Origin: mysticbbs.dynu.com 2300 (1:275/201)