Fidonet Portal

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757)
To: All
Date: Sun, 15.12.19 13:52
Sigil
Hello All,

Anyone DOOMing these days?

John Romero is at it again. He has a new game called Sigil up on his
website at rome.ro. I've only had a quick look at it but it so can't say
much about it but if your a DOOMer you might want to look for your self.

It needs DOOM to run. I run it with prboom-plus like this..

cd /usr/local/games/doom
./prboom-plus -iwad doom.wad -file sigil.wad

On another quick note the good folks at freedoom.org have released a new
freedoom.wad, freedoom2.wad and freedm.wad, a wad with death match
levels. There are quite a few changes and tweaks all around.

https://freedoom.github.io

Ttyl Smile,
Al

--- MagickaBBS v0.13alpha (Linux/x86_64)
* Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757)
To: All
Date: Fri, 20.12.19 01:02
RE: Sigil
AO> Been playing 3D Realms, WRATH: Aeon of Ruin. It's pretty cool. Not
AO> free, but for a Quake Engine game it has some nice features.

Looks interesting. Not free but not expensive either. I'll take a better
look when time permits.

I have been playing a mod for quake called Arcane Dimensions. It doesn't
look much like quake at all but it is for quake. It was put together by
about 12 quite well known quake mappers. The latest version is quite
large, about 220MB, and also there is a patch that is about 25MB. The
sources are also available for those who would like to look at that.

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

Very well done MOD, actually they call it a partial conversion.

From: Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.12.19 13:24
Re: Sigil
I haven't played Doom in forever. I need to take a look at it again, but the
"To Be Played" list keeps growing and the "Have to Earn a Living" list doesn't
seem to shrink much. ;)

I've been playing Rage, after picking it up cheap at a Steam sale. I've been
disappointed in it. Between Bethesda and ID I expected something a bit more
but I haven't found the story line interesting and the gameplay is boring.

I'll probably end up finishing it because once I buy and start a game I try to
finish it, even if I don't enjoy it. Is anyone else like that?

Ray

On Sunday December 15, 2019, Alan Ianson said to All...

AI> Hello All,

AI> Anyone DOOMing these days?

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: CIA AMIGA BBS - ciaamigabbs.dynu.net:6400 (1:19/38.0)

From: Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.01.20 13:31
Re: Sigil
On Tuesday December 24, 2019, Alan Ianson said to Ray Sbaitso...

AI> I'm off work on medical leave for a short time, so I've been catching
AI> up. Smile

I used the time off at the holiday to get in some gaming, but of course with
the sales I ended up picking up more games, so now I'm farther behind than I
was. It's not the like the old days where you could only afford one at a time.
At least I could only afford one at a time back then.
;)

I never got into gaming on Linux. Most of the time that I've run Linux my
machine couldn't handle games. Now that I have one that could I've never
messed with trying to get any going since I've also got a PC. Are there any
Linux only titles that you would recommend?

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.01.20 18:50
Re: Sigil
RS> I used the time off at the holiday to get in some gaming, but of
RS> course with the sales I ended up picking up more games, so now I'm
RS> farther behind than I was. It's not the like the old days where
RS> you could only afford one at a time. At least I could only afford
RS> one at a time back then. ;)

I haven't bought anything in a long time. I've been looking but can't
find anything that runs on linux. I can run windows games on linux with
wine, probably. I ran UT3 with wine and it ran OK. I don't have wine
installed currently but could do that if I needed too.

RS> I never got into gaming on Linux. Most of the time that I've run
RS> Linux my machine couldn't handle games. Now that I have one that
RS> could I've never messed with trying to get any going since I've
RS> also got a PC. Are there any Linux only titles that you would
RS> recommend?

I don't know of anything linux only. Most of everything I run here is
open source so they are usually available for Windows, Linux and OSX.

Open Arena is a good one. I guess it's replacement data for Quake 3. It
runs with ioquake3, they may have modified it a bit I'm not sure. You
can run maps for quake 3 with it although open arena doesn't have the
stock data that quake 3 does so you can get missing textures at times.

http://openarena.ws

I also like UrbanTerror. It was (and still is) a Quake 3 mod. They use a
modified ioquake3 engine by default these days. It uses the ioquake3
engine but is different than quake3.

http://urbanterror.info

I also like nexuiz, today it continues as xonotic. It's based on quake
and quake 2 but not at all the same.

http://xonotic.org

I recently found AssaultCube and am enjoying it. It's a Quake 3 type of
game but not the same. It has it's roots in the cube engine. Windows,
Linux and OSX.

http://assault.cubers.net

There are more too, I use opensource ports for Wolf3D, the DOOMs and the
Quakes.. Smile