Fidonet Portal

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12.73)
To: All
Date: Fri, 09.06.17 18:49
The lesser of two ev
On 2017 Jun 09 00:20:00, you wrote to Lee Lofaso:

LL>> Filing for bankruptcy is a legal means of reorganizing a business so
LL>> as to make a profit. The business of business is business. In

DS> Also a tactic to get out of paying people the business owes money to.

that's not limited to only businesses, either... there's a lot of people doing
the same thing and renegging on their purchases... then they wonder why the
cost of things keeps going up and up...

LL>> Although the President is Constitutionally limited to serving two
LL>> consecutive terms, the clock is reset after sitting out a term.

DS> Go read the amendment carefully. You are wrong. It says two terms,
DS> full stop.

exactly... they can have numerous years between their two four-year terms but
two of them is all they get...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... Isn't that Cheney fondling his Halliburton portfolio and snickering?
---
* Origin: (1:3634/12.73)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Sun, 11.06.17 02:26
Re: The lesser of two ev
-=> On 06-10-17 04:42, Lee Lofaso spoke to Dale Shipp about The lesser of two ev > Although the President is Constitutionally limited to serving two
LL>> consecutive terms, the clock is reset after sitting out a term.

DS> Go read the amendment carefully. You are wrong. It says two terms,
DS> full stop.

LL> Try reading it with a bit of comprehension -

LL> The amendment only restricts how often a person can be *elected*
LL> president. It says absolutely nothing about how often a person can
LL> actually *be* president. Do understand the difference.

Your previous wording suggested that you thought elected two terms, sit
out a term, and then could be elected again. That is totally not true.

LL> Don't believe me? Here it is, in plain English, for all to read -

LL> "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than
LL> twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted
LL> as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other
LL> person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the
LL> President more than twice."

Actually, you did not quote it correctly. What it says is "...more than
once".

LL> President Barack Obama claims that he would win if he were to seek
LL> another term in office. He is a Constitutional lawyer, and knows
LL> what he is talking about. Although I seriously doubt he would ever
LL> seriously consider running for public office again, he is correct
LL> in his analysis.

He was presenting a hypothetical. He knew full well that he could not
run for president again. OTOH, it is possible that he might run for
public office, e.g. governor, senate, etc. -- but I doubt that he would.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:32:59, 11 Jun 2017
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Allen Prunty (1:2320/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.06.17 02:58
Re: The lesser of two ev
Re: Re: The lesser of two ev
By: Dale Shipp to Lee Lofaso on Fri Jun 09 2017 12:20 am

They can be eleceted only TWO TERMS... but if they were the VP and took over
for the remander of a term less than two years from a president who stepped
down, died or left office by some means they can be elected for two terms. if
they serve one day more than 24 months it counts as one of the terms.

The 22nd Amendment states that no person "elected" predient and no person to
hold the office of president for more than two years is allowed to be elected
more than once more. It makes no difference whether the two terms are
consecutive.

AS far as I know LBJ was the only one that served for longer than 2 terms after
JFK's assassination.

Allen

... Love is what you've been through with somebody.
--- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32
* Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)

From: TIM RICHARDSON (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.06.17 21:20
Re: The lesser of two ev
On 06-15-17, ALLEN PRUNTY said to DALE SHIPP:

AP>Re: Re: The lesser of two ev
AP>By: Dale Shipp to Lee Lofaso on Fri Jun 09 2017 12:20 am

AP>They can be eleceted only TWO TERMS... but if they were the VP and took
AP>over for the remander of a term less than two years from a president who
AP>stepped down, died or left office by some means they can be elected for
AP>two terms. if they serve one day more than 24 months it counts as one of

AP>the terms. The 22nd Amendment states that no person "elected" predient and
AP>no person to hold the office of president for more than two years is
AP>allowed to be elected more than once more. It makes no difference whether
AP>the two terms are consecutive.

AP>AS far as I know LBJ was the only one that served for longer than 2 terms
AP>after JFK's assassination.

No he did not. He served out Kennedy's term, was elected to a term of his
own, and did not run again mainly because he didn't think he'd win.

Kennedy was killed in november, 1963. Johnson served out Kennedy's final year
and a few months and then ran on his own. He did not seek re-election in 1968.

Hubert Humphrey, Johnson's vice, ran against Nixon and lost.

Johnson was only president for 5 years and a few months.

---
*Durango b301 #PE*
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.06.17 02:30
Re: The lesser of two ev
-=> On 06-15-17 00:58, Allen Prunty spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: The lesser of two ev AS far as I know LBJ was the only one that served for
AP> longer than 2 terms after
AP> JFK's assassination.

He did not do that. He went from VP to Potus after JFK's assination in
November 1963 and was elected on his own in 1964 elections. He ran in
the primaries for the 1968 election but dropped out early -- and thus
did not run again. All told, he had one full term and one term of less
than two years.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:35:58, 16 Jun 2017