Fidonet Portal

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12.73)
To: All
Date: Sat, 15.04.17 11:55
FidoGazette Vol 11 n
On 2017 Apr 14 16:08:44, you wrote to Dale Shipp:

DS>> How do you pronounce it? A GPS is also infamous for pronouncing
DS>> street name in funny ways. Our previous Magellan said hesp-ARGUS
DS>> almost sounding like asparagus. The current Garmen is a bit better
DS>> but still not quite right. Correct around here is HES-per-us.

AP> Siri calles Louisville "Lew-iss-ville" when we say it around here
AP> "Lou-ah-vul"

and some say it as lou-eee-vill...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
---
* Origin: (1:3634/12.73)

From: Drew Klenotic (1:2215/1701)
To: All
Date: Sat, 15.04.17 13:17
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
On 14 Apr 17 16:08:45 Allen Prunty wrote...

AP> Siri calles Louisville "Lew-iss-ville" when we say it around here
AP> "Lou-ah-vul"
AP>
AP> Allen
AP>
AP> ... Schizophrenia divides and rules, OK? --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32 *
AP> Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)

To which Drew Klenotic replies...

Charles Barkley, can we get a ruling on that?

--- RATSoft/FIDO v09.14.95 [JetMail 1.01]
* Origin: STar Fleet HQ - Atari BBS Running RatSoft ST! bbs.sfhqbbs.org:5983
(1:2215/1701.0)
.
205 Goodbye

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Tue, 02.05.17 19:49
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
> Ahhhh... sounds like something that I would like and since you reccomend I a
> on it. I am really liking this Dr. Who spinoff called Class... although I
> find the premise behind this season of Dr. Who wierd... seems like he's not
> going to go offworld just out of time this season.

I am just catching up watching the first episode. They went offworld in that
episode. Smile

Mike
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Linux
* Origin: CCO BBS - capcity2.synchro.net - 1-502-875-8938 (1:2320/105)

From: Allen Prunty (1:2320/100)
To: All
Date: Wed, 03.05.17 01:05
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
Re: Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
By: Mike Powell to Allen Prunty on Tue May 02 2017 05:49 pm

MP> I am just catching up watching the first episode. They went offworld in
MP> that episode. Smile

From what I've read whatever he is guarding in that vault is going to keep him
on world for the rest of the season... or it could be a red herring. I'm just
sad this is the last season for this doctor.

Wonder if they are going to show the regenration this time or make us wait
until Christmas or the next season.

Obviously he's going somewhere the tardis was on top of the rug the girl gave
him.

Allen

... Intuition, however illogical, is recognized as a command prerogative.

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Thu, 06.07.17 02:25
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
-=> On 07-05-17 20:23, Janis Kracht spoke to All about FidoGazette Vol 11 no 27 ================================================================
JK> H U M O R
JK> ================================================================

JK> Thanks for this one to Vince Coen, 2:250/1 Smile

JK> Finally I pondered an age old question: Is giving birth more
JK> painful than getting kicked in the nuts?

Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that I have
experienced something that might have approached it -- impacted bowel.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:27:34, 06 Jul 2017
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 06.07.17 11:10
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
Dale,

DS>Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that I have
DS>experienced something that might have approached it -- impacted bowel.

Or having a urinary catheter in, along with kidney stones. Razz

Daryl

===

--- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - wx1der.dyndns.org (1:19/33)

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: All
Date: Thu, 06.07.17 12:11
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
Hi Dale,

>> H U M O R

>> Thanks for this one to Vince Coen, 2:250/1 Smile

>> Finally I pondered an age old question: Is giving birth more
>> painful than getting kicked in the nuts?

> Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that I have
> experienced something that might have approached it -- impacted bowel.

I dunno... did it cripple you to almost pass out level, suddenly? That's what
happened to a friend of mine years and years ago as we were rough housing ...
just joking around.. and darn, didn't mean to do that! I felt really bad
needless to say... Smile

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.07.17 02:40
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
-=> On 07-06-17 10:11, Janis Kracht spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that I have
> experienced something that might have approached it -- impacted bowel.

JK> I dunno... did it cripple you to almost pass out level,
JK> suddenly? That's what happened to a friend of mine years
JK> and years ago as we were rough housing ... just joking
JK> around.. and darn, didn't mean to do that! I felt really
JK> bad needless to say... Smile

I was away from home at a government conference. It got bad enough that
they put me in an ambulance in the middle of the night and took me to
the nearest emergency room, about 20 miles away.

I've not had experience with kidney stones, but others in my family have
-- and they can get pretty bad as well.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:42:40, 07 Jul 2017

From: Mick Manning (1:249/307)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.07.17 11:46
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
On 07/06/17, Dale Shipp considered the following...

DS> Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that I have
DS> experienced something that might have approached it -- impacted bowel.

I've lived through everything ('cept childbirth Smile and the most painful
thing I can remember is the loss of a loved one.

... sorry, off topic. Smile

Mike Manning

Central Ontario Remote BBS
Telnet: oxfordmi.synchro.net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A34 (Windows/32)
* Origin: Central Ontario Remote BBS (1:249/307)

From: Allen Prunty (1:2320/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 13.07.17 18:41
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
Re: Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
By: Dale Shipp to Janis Kracht on Thu Jul 06 2017 12:25 am

DS> Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that I have
DS> experienced something that might have approached it -- impacted bowel.

I passed a rather large kidney stone. My stepdad did not see the need to take
me to the hospital and I suffered for 8 hours until mom came home. By that
time I was passing a lot of blood and was delerious... he took me to the
hospital and it was almost out. All I know is that once it passed I had
hellatious pain going to the bathroom for weeks after and still occasionally
get a sting if the urine is too strong.

That stepdad was rapidly out of the picture. Stepdad #3 was a vast improvement
and the only one I ever called "Dad".

Allen

... RAM = Rarely Adequate Memory

From: Allen Prunty (1:2320/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 13.07.17 18:42
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
Re: Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
By: Mick Manning to Dale Shipp on Fri Jul 07 2017 09:46 am

MM> I've lived through everything ('cept childbirth Smile and the most painful
MM> thing I can remember is the loss of a loved one.

Mike... that is so true.

Allen

... It's so true to life it's hardly true.

From: Drew Klenotic (1:2215/1701)
To: All
Date: Fri, 14.07.17 20:28
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
On 06 Jul 17 09:10:00 Daryl Stout wrote...

DS> Dale,
DS>
DS> DS> Like most men, I can only ponder that question. But I think that
DS> DS> I have experienced something that might have approached it --
DS> DS> impacted bowel.
DS>
DS> Or having a urinary catheter in, along with kidney stones. Razz
DS>
DS> Daryl
DS>

DS> --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32 * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS -
DS> wx1der.dyndns.org (1:19/33)

To which Drew Klenotic replies...

Life coming full circle. When you're little kids, it's all poop and pee
jokes. When you get old... It's all poop and pee problems.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sun, 16.07.17 10:05
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
Drew,

DK>Life coming full circle. When you're little kids, it's all poop and pee
DK>jokes. When you get old... It's all poop and pee problems.

Jeff Foxworthy noted that in one of his videos on YouTube.

You've got kids coming out of diapers (pre-school), and adults going
into diapers (i.e. Depends for incontience).

It's like he's sitting there at the table, and this horrid stench
permeates his nostrils (never mind the dog dropping a methane bomb), and
it's like "ED!! Did you..." -- and Ed immediately shakes his head back
and forth rapidly!! Razz

Daryl

===

--- SBBSecho 3.01-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - wx1der.dyndns.org (1:19/33)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Tue, 19.09.17 02:29
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
-=> On 09-18-17 15:18, Jimmy Anderson spoke to Janis Kracht about FidoGazette Vol 11 no 32 That being said, picking a phrase that is easy for you to remember and
JA> then using just the first letters makes for something easy to type, but
JA> hard to guess. For example, your phrase might be "Katie cuts my hair.
JA> You should let her cut yours too." Your pw would then be kcmhyslhcyt
JA> If you need a number, use a 2 instead of a t at the end. If you need
JA> upper case then use K since it's
JA> a name - or K and Y since that's capitalized in the phrase.

JA> So it might be - KcmyYslhcy2

JA> Practically IMPOSSIBLE to crack!

That is a pretty good idea. Only problem is that you need a separate
password phrase for each site you log onto.

JA> One more thing the article suggested was to use a password manager. I
JA> personally have NOT tried one out and not sure I like the idea of my
JA> passwords being stored somewhere that could be potentially hacked, thus
JA> giving someone access to ALL my passwords...

I have used a password safe for many years. It was written by Bruce
Schnieder, an well known security expert. There are also many other
decent ones out there. The critical thing about them is that they
encrypt the data base of passwords and can only be opened by using a
special password that you create (such as the type you mention above).
The danger of someone getting to that data base is less than my not
being able to recall the hundreds of different passwords I have used on
different sites.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:33:53, 19 Sep 2017

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Tue, 26.09.17 11:16
Re: FidoGazette Vol 11 n
-=> Dale Shipp wrote to Jimmy Anderson On 09-18-17 15:18, Jimmy Anderson spoke to Janis Kracht about FidoGazette Vol 11 no 32 That being said, picking a phrase that is easy for you to remember and
JA> then using just the first letters makes for something easy to type, but
JA> hard to guess. For example, your phrase might be "Katie cuts my hair.
JA> You should let her cut yours too." Your pw would then be kcmhyslhcyt
JA> If you need a number, use a 2 instead of a t at the end. If you need
JA> upper case then use K since it's
JA> a name - or K and Y since that's capitalized in the phrase.

JA> So it might be - KcmyYslhcy2

JA> Practically IMPOSSIBLE to crack!

DS> That is a pretty good idea. Only problem is that you need a separate
DS> password phrase for each site you log onto.

True, and that was just an example. The original idea came from Janis'
post though - I can't take credit. Smile

JA> One more thing the article suggested was to use a password manager. I
JA> personally have NOT tried one out and not sure I like the idea of my
JA> passwords being stored somewhere that could be potentially hacked, thus
JA> giving someone access to ALL my passwords...

DS> I have used a password safe for many years. It was written by Bruce
DS> Schnieder, an well known security expert. There are also many other
DS> decent ones out there. The critical thing about them is that they
DS> encrypt the data base of passwords and can only be opened by using a
DS> special password that you create (such as the type you mention above).
DS> The danger of someone getting to that data base is less than my not
DS> being able to recall the hundreds of different passwords I have used on
DS> different sites.

Also a good point! I may start one, but not ready for that step yet... Smile
I have a basic pw I use for some things - but banking and email and such like
that have special pw's already.

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
--- MultiMail/Darwin v0.49
* Origin: Neptune's Lair - Olive Branch MS - winserver.org (1:116/17)