Fidonet Portal

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.12.19 06:08
life ?
Hello All!

ping for updates Smile

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/4.19.86-gentoo (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.12.19 08:59
Re: life ?
On 03 Dec 19 05:08:20, Benny Pedersen said the following to All:

BP> ping for updates Smile

Huh? Linux can't ping properly?

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.12.19 11:29
Re: life ?
Hello Nick!

03 Dec 2019 07:59, Nick Andre wrote to Benny Pedersen:

NA> On 03 Dec 19 05:08:20, Benny Pedersen said the following to All:
BP>> ping for updates Smile
NA> Huh? Linux can't ping properly?

stay on windows then Smile

From: Ed Vance (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 13:24
Re: life ?
02-13-20 22:40 Benny Pedersen wrote to Maurice Kinal about life ?
Howdy! Benny,

BP> @MSGID:
BP> @REPLY:
BP> Hello Maurice!

BP> 30 Jan 2020 22:41, Maurice Kinal wrote to Benny Pedersen:
-snip-
MK> Also I haven't messed with tape drives since the early
MK> 1990's and did have access to external scsi exabyte drives but mostly
MK> worked with ye olde 9 track tapes.

BP> i got a sysquest drive, looked like it was a new 8" floppy disk in
BP> cartridge design Smile

In the late 1970's or 1980's, a Ham Radio Friend who started out using
a Apple ][ later got a IBM PC (Compatiablle ???Wink, and told Me
(on Packet Radio) that He was using a SyQuest Removable Disk Drive.

I asked him to let me come over and see what that Drive looked like.

He showed me the Cartridge for His SyQuest Drive, it had a Metal Platter
instead of Flexible Media like the Iomega Bernoulli Cartridges had inside
their Cartridges at that time.

The SyQuest Cartridge He showed Me held 44 MB and was the same size as a
360 KB Floppy Disk (5.25 Inch), and told me the US Air Force had bought
a lot of those Drives to use on their computers.

I think His Drive connected to the pc with a SCSI Cable.

When Iomega started advertising the ZIP100 Removable Cartridge Drive, I
saw an article in Popular Electronics or Radio-Electronics Magazine
that said the Zip100 Drive used flexible media in its Cartridge.

Around that time I had also read that SyQuest was designing a Drive with a
135 MB Removable Cartridge.

Iomega started selling the ZIP100 long before SyQuest had began selling
their EZ135, but I waited because I wanted to make MY Back-Ups on Metal
Platters instead of Flexible Plastic media.

A couple of people at the Church I attend talked to me about how they
enjoyed using their ZIP100 Drive and I told them I didn't want to Save to
Floppies, I wanted to Save my stuff to Metal Platters like was used in the
Hard Drives inside of computers, so I'd rather wait until SyQuest started
selling their new model (of course I told them Metal is Better than Plastic).

When SyQuest started selling their EZ135 I bought one as soon as I could.
I wanted to use it to make Back-Ups of the 2 HDD's in my 486 instead of using
a bunch of 1.44 MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Disks anymore.

MK> I'll stick with sata drives for
MK> now since they are way cheaper than tape.

As for Me and this XP pc I like SATA Drives.
The 250 GB SATA HDD in this XP computer was just about full so I replaced it
with a 2 TB SATA HDD.

I bought a Tripp-Lite U238-000-1 USB 2.0 to SATA / IDE Adapter to make
Back-Up's for my XP pc on to a Internal SATA Hard Drive instead of to the
External USB HDD's I used earlier to make Back-Up's for the XP.

[* Pause for a second thought *]

Some years later I saw another Tripp-Lite product to plug Internal SATA HDD's
in to that had a cover for the Drive instead of everything being out in the
open ( 'jury rigged' Wink like the model I had did.

It wss Tripp-Lite's Model Number U339-001-FLAT USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive
Lay-Flat Quick Dock Enclosure for 3.5 Inch HDD and SSD.

It was ON SALE so I called the Company about buying Two of them
(for the Two Drives I use to Back Up to) and the Total Price quoted to me
was SKY HIGH, so I asked the salesman and was told the Cost for Shipping
was higher for that item.
I told the Man I thought the Shipping Charge was way too high for a small
thing like that and didn't order to Two I wanter to get.

I called Tripp-Lite and learned how much one of them weighted and Emailed
that information to the Salesman but He wouldn't change the Cost for
Shipping, so I told Him I wouldn't pay that much for those Back Up boxes.

I then tried to look to see what other Companies had the Price for that
item and saw a much higher selling price for that thing everywhere else.

The Company still has them for sale but af a Higher Price than what Their
"Sale Price" was.

[* Back to my orginal topic *]

I have Two 2 TB SATA External HDD's that I alternate putting Back-Up's on.

After several years of use those Two Drives were getting full [ I've kept all
of the Back-Up's I've made ;-) ].

I saw a 4 TB External USB HDD for sale at a very good price and tried to use
it for the XP pc but it wasn't recognized so I tried it on the Vista pc and
learned it could be used on that pc.

(I've wondered if before I started using it on the Vista pc if I had made
2 Partitions on that 4 TB Drive - if XP would had been able to "SEE" it?

I "think" so, but there is too much data on that 4 TB'er now for me to try
Partitoning it.

73 de Ed W9ODR

... Have you checked your smoke detector batteries & Fire Ext, LATELY?!
--- MultiMail/MS-DOS v0.49
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Phillip L Taylor Jr (1:275/201.30)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.11.20 10:42
Re: life ?

`
MK> AI> until somewhere around the 5.0 kernel.

I used Slackware a long time ago then I switched to debian becayse I had a lot
of issues with it.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Phillip L Taylor Jr (1:275/201.30)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.11.20 10:47
Re: life ?
On Wed 4-Dec-2019 10:29 , Benny Pedersen@2:230/0.0 said to Nick Andre:

BP> BP>> ping for updates Smile
BP> NA> Huh? Linux can't ping properly?

BP> stay on windows then Smile

Windows sometimes seems to be like ford fix and repair daily.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.11.20 04:48
Re: life ?
Hello Phillip!

03 Nov 2020 09:47, Phillip L Taylor Jr wrote to Benny Pedersen:

PLTJ> Windows sometimes seems to be like ford fix and repair daily.

well Nick will solve this pretty fast Smile

Regards Benny

... too late to die young Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.9.2-gentoo-x86_64 (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.11.20 08:17
Re: life ?
On 04 Nov 20 03:48:16, Benny Pedersen said the following to Phillip L Taylor
Jr

BP> PLTJ> Windows sometimes seems to be like ford fix and repair daily.
BP>
BP> well Nick will solve this pretty fast Smile

LOL, solve what? The Sysop's compulsion to screw things up?

I know its the nature of the silly message hobby but the vast majority of
problems I read are from people screwing around with things, incompetency /
not reading documentation or log files, etc. "experimenting" with things or
nagging competent Sysops with hand-holding questions.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Fri, 06.11.20 04:46
Re: life ?
Hello Nick!

04 Nov 2020 07:17, Nick Andre wrote to Benny Pedersen:

PLTJ>>> Windows sometimes seems to be like ford fix and repair daily.
BP>> well Nick will solve this pretty fast Smile
NA> LOL, solve what? The Sysop's compulsion to screw things up?

building linux kernel for windows lusers that now have a proper browser from
google, so all that remains is microsoft edge based on chrome Smile

NA> I know its the nature of the silly message hobby but the vast majority
NA> of problems I read are from people screwing around with things,
NA> incompetency /

yes i just love the microsoft commics Smile

NA> not reading documentation or log files, etc. "experimenting" with
NA> things or nagging competent Sysops with hand-holding questions.

linux is not that hard

Regards Benny

... too late to die young Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.9.6-gentoo-x86_64 (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Fri, 06.11.20 07:53
Re: life ?
On 06 Nov 20 03:46:48, Benny Pedersen said the following to Nick Andre:

BP> building linux kernel for windows lusers that now have a proper browser fro
BP> google, so all that remains is microsoft edge based on chrome Smile

Edge is a fucking joke.

BP> NA> not reading documentation or log files, etc. "experimenting" with
BP> NA> things or nagging competent Sysops with hand-holding questions.
BP>
BP> linux is not that hard

Agreed... I manage a few Linux VM's for work.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Mon, 09.11.20 05:00
Re: life ?
Hello Nick!

06 Nov 2020 06:53, Nick Andre wrote to Benny Pedersen:

NA> Edge is a fucking joke.

if it was just Edge

NA> Agreed... I manage a few Linux VM's for work.

i would try to see how kubenates works, but all i have readed is that its full
of secureity bugs, no ?

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Mon, 09.11.20 03:24
Re: life ?
On 09 Nov 20 04:00:40, Benny Pedersen said the following to Nick Andre:

BP> NA> Agreed... I manage a few Linux VM's for work.
BP>
BP> i would try to see how kubenates works, but all i have readed is that its f
BP> of secureity bugs, no ?

I've never used that; just plain SSH.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2