Fidonet Portal

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 06:50
Setting up D'Bridge for JAM tossers...
Downloaded the newest version because of your messages a couple of days ago.
Was worried about setting up BinkD/P...but you have the OS/2 version built
into your software. Looks a lot like setting up in Mystic...but with many
more options available.

What part of the manual do I need to be reading to have D'Bridge only mail
the packets from/to the hubs...while FMail or FastEcho do the tossing into the
BBS software?

Thank you again!

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

* Origin: ACME BBS-W.Coyote & D.Brown are our best users. (1:340/1000)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 12:46
Re: Setting up D'Bridge for JAM tossers.
On 01 Apr 20 04:50:00, Don Lowery said the following to Nick Andre:

DL> What part of the manual do I need to be reading to have D'Bridge only mail
DL> the packets from/to the hubs...while FMail or FastEcho do the tossing into
DL> BBS software?

New D'Bridge users asking for help must buy the first round of drinks...

In Config-Packet/Mail, change Inbound Mail handling to External.

That will shut off the internal tosser. You will be responsible for calling
your tosser somehow to handle the incoming; but BinkDOS2 should be creating a
semaphore/dummy file called DBRIDGE.UFM (Unpack/Forward Mail) whenever
anything is received. A simple looping batch file could check for this and
call your tosser accordingly. Erase that semaphore when done tossing.

You can use the semaphore/dummy file DBRIDGE.RSN to force-rescan the outgoing
Queue once Fmail/Fastecho have created outgoing packets; since D'Bridge has no
way of knowing what is in the outgoing Queue when set in External
operation unless its specifically told.

Any tosser you use with D'Bridge must specifically state that it supports
D'Bridge or ArcMail-Style Attachments. Do NOT use BSO or other queue-styles.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 21:50
Re: Setting up D'Bridge for JAM tossers.
NA> New D'Bridge users asking for help must buy the first round of drinks...

Love that Green Dragon! ;)

NA> In Config-Packet/Mail, change Inbound Mail handling to External.

Fantastic! Makes sense that you're using another program outside D'Bridge to
do the heavy work.

NA> calling your tosser somehow to handle the incoming; but BinkDOS2 should
NA> be creating a semaphore/dummy file called DBRIDGE.UFM (Unpack/Forward
NA> Mail) whenever anything is received. A simple looping batch file could
NA> check for this and call your tosser accordingly. Erase that semaphore
NA> when done tossing.

That's a good way to have the tosser find what it needs to do.

NA> You can use the semaphore/dummy file DBRIDGE.RSN to force-rescan the
NA> outgoing Queue once Fmail/Fastecho have created outgoing packets; since
NA> D'Bridge has no way of knowing what is in the outgoing Queue when set in
NA> External operation unless its specifically told.

Calling *.UFM after polling...then *.RSN for outgoing packets. Very nice.

NA> Any tosser you use with D'Bridge must specifically state that it
NA> supports D'Bridge or ArcMail-Style Attachments. Do NOT use BSO or other
NA> queue-styles.

Am so happy you spelled this out...since you might find it by digging...but
stating it plainly saves a ton of time.

Thank you again for all your help. Gotta a 5:30 AM workday tomorrow...but am
off at 10:30 AM to head back at 7 PM Friday evening...so should have time to
get this set up.

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.04.20 02:42
On 01 Apr 20 19:50:10, Don Lowery said the following to Nick Andre:

DL> Fantastic! Makes sense that you're using another program outside D'Bridge t
DL> do the heavy work.

This system actually uses the internal tosser to manage mail for 70+ some-odd
downlinks. The internal tosser only supports *.MSG and Hudson/Goldbase but for
my needs its perfect. I'll admit that I have not had the real motivation to
sit and write JAM and Squish support but may take another stab at it now that
this stupid virus has me on lock-down.

There is a LOT of "heavy" tossing that happens here as I'm sure you can
imagine. I hub a lot of mail including Usenet groups. The Usenet groups are
a perfect stress-test for any tosser. I worked hard to ensure the heaviest
of tossing doesn't choke. The D'Bridge tosser is extremely rock-solid.

DL> Thank you again for all your help. Gotta a 5:30 AM workday tomorrow...but a
DL> off at 10:30 AM to head back at 7 PM Friday evening...so should have time t
DL> get this set up.

No problem, let me know if you have any questions.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.04.20 22:48
Re: Setting up D'Bridge for JAM tossers.
NA> This system actually uses the internal tosser to manage mail for 70+
NA> some-odd downlinks. The internal tosser only supports *.MSG and
NA> Hudson/Goldbase but for my needs its perfect. I'll admit that I have not
NA> had the real motivation to sit and write JAM and Squish support but may
NA> take another stab at it now that this stupid virus has me on lock-down.

Not only would that help me...but some others like Tony & such who would love
to have as many modern options available as possible to do as many items as
possible. Just added another 8 GB of memory to the Lenovo & setup that much as
a RAM drive.

The one thing which impressed me (hadn't taken a look at it in decades) was
how well you had help for everything you needed. Impressed me to death that
you explained what was needed & the reason for it.

NA> are a perfect stress-test for any tosser. I worked hard to ensure the
NA> heaviest of tossing doesn't choke. The D'Bridge tosser is extremely
NA> rock-solid.

I can imagine with your setup for Z1 & everything else you have running over
there. Am glad you have it setup & available for all of us to use.