Fidonet Portal

From: Mark Hofmann (1:261/1304)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 11:34
DB on Windows Server versions.
Due to the 20 connection limit on file shares on the Windows desktop OS,
considering options to covert the VM that runs DB and my other tossing tools to
a Windows Server OS.

The big question (and it might have already been answered somewhere) is has
anyone tried running DB on different Windows Server verions? 2008R2, or maybe
even 2016. Not sure my other utilities will work and will see if I can do some
testing first.

If no one has tried this, I will report back once I put together a test setup.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
* Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (1:261/1304.0)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 17:18
Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
On 22 Mar 20 10:34:20, Mark Hofmann said the following to All:

MH> The big question (and it might have already been answered somewhere) is has
MH> anyone tried running DB on different Windows Server verions? 2008R2, or ma
MH> even 2016. Not sure my other utilities will work and will see if I can do
MH> some testing first.

Please look into the NTVDM64 project as per the BBS_CARNIVAL echo.

D'Bridge works on Server 2016/2019 just fine with this approach.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Mark Hofmann (1:261/1304)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 20:17
Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
NA> Please look into the NTVDM64 project as per the BBS_CARNIVAL echo.
NA>
NA> D'Bridge works on Server 2016/2019 just fine with this approach.

Just read all the information over there - very cool!

At this point I need to decide if I want to move the BBS network share to an
existing Windows 2016 server or leave it on the tossing VM (and upgrade it from
Windows 7 32-bit to 2016 server).

I try to keep all the BBS related data to the (2) VMs, so I'm swaying to move
the Windows 7 VM to 2016 server.

Some of my tossing utilities (like WWIVTOSS) are 16-bit, so the modified NTVDM
should work for it.

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Mon, 23.03.20 02:10
On 22 Mar 20 19:17:05, Mark Hofmann said the following to Nick Andre:

MH> At this point I need to decide if I want to move the BBS network share to a
MH> existing Windows 2016 server or leave it on the tossing VM (and upgrade it
MH> from Windows 7 32-bit to 2016 server).

I would clone it first if possible, for testing, or fire up a new 2016
instance.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Mark Hofmann (1:261/1304)
To: All
Date: Sat, 28.03.20 15:21
Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
NA> I would clone it first if possible, for testing, or fire up a new 2016
NA> instance.

Yes, agreed.

The other option would be for me to just move the shared directory to an
existing Windows Server and keep everything running as is (on the Windows 7
32-bit VM). The only reason I am not crazy about that idea is that means there
are now (3) separate VMs/systems needing each other for the BBS nodes.

It seems to root of the problem is Windows non-server only allows a total of 20
connections for a share. For some unknown reason, Samba on eCS and ArcaOS use
4 connections for each BBS node. On the event that I hit the 20 connection
limit, JFS crashes and the eCS VM dumps.

If I move this share to my Windows Server, no more connection limit for a
share.

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Sun, 29.03.20 10:53
Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
Re: Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
By: Mark Hofmann to Nick Andre on Sat Mar 28 2020 14:21:37

MH> It seems to root of the problem is Windows non-server only allows a
MH> total of 20 connections for a share. For some unknown reason, Samba
MH> on eCS and ArcaOS use 4 connections for each BBS node.

this makes sense if there's four shares in use...

MH> On the event that I hit the 20 connection limit, JFS crashes and
MH> the eCS VM dumps.

this sounds like an improperly handled exception with the connection is
refused...

)\/(ark
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)

From: Mark Hofmann (1:261/1304)
To: All
Date: Tue, 31.03.20 21:05
Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
ml> this makes sense if there's four shares in use...

In this case it is a single share, but (4) BBS nodes waiting for caller. This
uses a total of (16) connections to my Windows VM. I tried it on eCS and
ArcaOS - both behave the same way.

ml> this sounds like an improperly handled exception with the connection is
ml> refused...

eCS has a crash of the JFS file system when it goes over the limit and the
share is denied access. If I reboot the VM with the share, it will crash eCS.
On ArcaOS is doesn't crash, but just freezes.

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 11:23
Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
Re: Re: DB on Windows Server versions.
By: Mark Hofmann to Mark Lewis on Tue Mar 31 2020 19:05:44

ml>> this makes sense if there's four shares in use...

MH> In this case it is a single share, but (4) BBS nodes waiting
MH> for caller. This uses a total of (16) connections to my
MH> Windows VM.

ahhh... yeah... this is when remembering how things were done old-school comes
into plat... where you could run only one node from one machine...

if you aren't in touch with the developers, you might should be but i don't
know if they will be able to do anything other than to patch catching the
error...