Fidonet Portal

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/100)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 23.04.19 01:09
Thought on Discovery
Now that season 2 of discovery is in the books, what are people's thoughts
on it? How does everyone feel about how they played fast and loose with
canon?

frank!netsurge ! hysteriabbs.com ! zeus 1.7 ! amiga 4ooo

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: hysteria - amiga 4ooo - hysteriabbs.com (1:229/100.0)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 23.04.19 23:01
Re: Thought on Discovery
-=> Frank Linhares wrote to All Now that season 2 of discovery is in the books, what are people's
FL> thoughts on it? How does everyone feel about how they played fast and
FL> loose with canon?

I didn't want to like it while watching season 1. Season 2 sucked me
in, with just enough nods to the old show to keep me going. I thought
the finale was a nice sendoff to the present day and made me look
forward to next season.

I'd still like to see Pike's 5-year mission and see Spock's character
fleshed out.

--- MultiMail/XT v0.51
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/100)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 25.04.19 14:04
Re: Thought on Discovery
On Tuesday April 23, 2019, Kurt Weiske said to Frank Linhares...

KW> I didn't want to like it while watching season 1. Season 2 sucked me
KW> in, with just enough nods to the old show to keep me going. I thought
KW> the finale was a nice sendoff to the present day and made me look
KW> forward to next season.

KW> I'd still like to see Pike's 5-year mission and see Spock's character
KW> fleshed out.

I agree but both actors aren't coming back. I enjoyed how they played with
canon and tied everything together. I was worried how they would explain
Spock's sister as there is no reference of her and I thought the whole "we
shall never speak of her again" was a copout.

I really thought that control was a Borg origin story, but then again,
Picard would have kicked himself all this time knowing that the Borg could
be stopped with a simple magnet.

frank!netsurge ! hysteriabbs.com ! zeus 1.7 ! amiga 4ooo

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: hysteria bbs - hysteriabbs.com - amiga powered (1:229/100.0)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 26.04.19 10:43
Re: Thought on Discovery
-=> Frank Linhares wrote to Kurt Weiske I agree but both actors aren't coming back. I enjoyed how they played
FL> with canon and tied everything together.

I particularly liked the ending and the send-off to Discovery - it
felt as much a send-off to the Enterprise crew as it did to D. Ironic,
since it reminded me of "Yesterday's Enterprise", where Picard says
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name Enterprise", when in D
they were trying to bury the Sphere knowledge in time.

I don't recall, was the sphere data related to the sphere builders in
Star Trek: Enterprise?

... Fifty Quatloos on the newcomer!

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 28.04.19 03:47
Re: Thought on Discovery
KW> I particularly liked the ending and the send-off to Discovery - it
KW> felt as much a send-off to the Enterprise crew as it did to D. Ironic,
KW> since it reminded me of "Yesterday's Enterprise", where Picard says
KW> "Let's make sure history never forgets the name Enterprise", when in D
KW> they were trying to bury the Sphere knowledge in time.

It was a send off for the Enterprise. Most of the characters on the
Enterprise (Pike and Number One for sure) won't be returning next season. I'm
not sure about Spock.

KW> I don't recall, was the sphere data related to the sphere builders in
KW> Star Trek: Enterprise?

They didn't indicate as much, but you never know. I personally thought they
were going to give us a Borg origin story.

-f

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: !diskShop bbs! bbs.diskshop.ca ! (1:229/101)

From: Bryan Handfield (1:129/165)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 28.04.19 12:31
Re: Thought on Discovery
-=[ On 04-26-19 08:43, Kurt Weiske wrote to Frank Linhares below: ]=-
-=[ Re: Re: Thought on Discovery ]=-

Hi Kurt Weiske!

KW> I don't recall, was the sphere data related to the sphere builders in
KW> Star Trek: Enterprise?
That could very well be. Who knows, I really enjoy how they tie a lot of stuff
together to make the whole story telling co-hesive. I look forward to Season 3
of Discovery to see what they do with it.

Cheers,
Bryan
bhandfield(at)me(dot)com

... We do. We are. What more is there?
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.51
* Origin: Battlestar BBS : battlestarbbs.dyndns.org (1:129/165)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 05.05.19 11:03
Re: Thought on Discovery
-=> Bryan Handfield wrote to Kurt Weiske That could very well be. Who knows, I really enjoy how they tie a lot
BH> of stuff together to make the whole story telling co-hesive. I look
BH> forward to Season 3 of Discovery to see what they do with it.

Ditto - they got the best of both world, getting to play with Canon
and some loved characters, then going off into the future.

... Would you like to wake up from this dream?

From: Eric Oulashin (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 10.05.19 19:10
Re: Thought on Discovery
Re: Re: Thought on Discovery
By: Kurt Weiske to Frank Linhares on Tue Apr 23 2019 09:01 pm

KW> I'd still like to see Pike's 5-year mission and see Spock's character
KW> fleshed out.

I seem to remember hearing that Discovery takes place about 10 years before the
original series. If Pike only had a 5-year mission, I wonder if the Enterprise
was not used for 5 years or if there was a different captain before Kirk, or if
Discovery actually only takes place about 5 years before TOS?

ERic
--- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
* Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (1:340/7)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 10.05.19 23:41
Re: Thought on Discovery
EO> I think it was an interesting and good season, but a little odd with how
EO> it's trying to fit in with canon. Spock recommending to never speak of
EO> Discovery again seemed like a quick and cheap way to explain why Spock
EO> never mentioned Discovery or his adopted human sister later. And I
EO> still feel like the difference in appearance of the Klingons hasn't been
EO> fully explained yet.

I think he was only referring to his half sister with records to never
speaking of them again, I don't remember anything about Discovery as a whole.
Then again, I have been known to be wrong from time to time, lol.

They also never explained this difference between the Klingon's on TOS and
TNG. I'd be more curious about that difference since they are both in the
same time line.

EO> It seems the special effects budget has been good for this show though.
EO> I like how the ships look (especially the Enterprise, even if it does
EO> look a little different from the original series Enterprise), and all
EO> the external shots and battle scenes have looked great.

True, but keeping the uniforms and the looks of the Enterprise close to what
TOS looked like was a great nod IMO.

From: Eric Oulashin (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 11.05.19 12:46
Re: Thought on Discovery
Re: Re: Thought on Discovery
By: Frank Linhares to Eric Oulashin on Fri May 10 2019 09:41 pm

FL> I think he was only referring to his half sister with records to never
FL> speaking of them again, I don't remember anything about Discovery as a
FL> whole. Then again, I have been known to be wrong from time to time, lol.

Maybe that's right, I don't remember for sure now.

FL> They also never explained this difference between the Klingon's on TOS and
FL> TNG. I'd be more curious about that difference since they are both in the
FL> same time line.

Yes actually, they did explain that (at least, to an extent). And the new
Klingon look actually started with The Motion Picture, not TNG. It was
explained in the TV series 'Enterprise'. They explained it as some genetic
manipulations the Klingons were doing to themselves, based on what humans were
doing to produce a group of super-humans, which included Khan. There was a
3-part episode in Enterprise where one of Soong's ancestors (also played by
Brent Spiner) was continuing the work to create more super-humans, and I think
the Klingons got wind of it and tried introducing some of the human super-genes
into themselves, which is why the Klingons looked more human in TOS. I don't
remember offhand how the Klingons went back to their regular look by The Motion
Picture/TNG, but at least that explains why they looked more human in TOS.

Nightfox

From: Eric Oulashin (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 11.05.19 12:48
Re: Thought on Discovery
Re: Re: Thought on Discovery
By: Frank Linhares to Eric Oulashin on Fri May 10 2019 09:41 pm

FL> I think he was only referring to his half sister with records to never
FL> speaking of them again, I don't remember anything about Discovery as a
FL> whole. Then again, I have been known to be wrong from time to time, lol.

That's probably right, I don't remember now.

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 11.05.19 09:21
Re: Thought on Discovery
-=> Eric Oulashin wrote to Kurt Weiske I seem to remember hearing that Discovery takes place about 10 years
EO> before the original series. If Pike only had a 5-year mission, I
EO> wonder if the Enterprise was not used for 5 years or if there was a
EO> different captain before Kirk, or if Discovery actually only takes
EO> place about 5 years before TOS?

Pike was captain of the Enterprise for 13 years, if memory serves.

... Do you ever see inconsistencies in your world?
--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 26.04.19 21:14
Re: Thought on Discovery
Re: Re: Thought on Discovery
By: Kurt Weiske to Frank Linhares on Tue Apr 23 2019 09:01 pm

KW> I didn't want to like it while watching season 1. Season 2 sucked me
KW> in, with just enough nods to the old show to keep me going. I thought
KW> the finale was a nice sendoff to the present day and made me look
KW> forward to next season.

*Grin*

Same for me, I love all things Trek and for me to really watch it, it has to
appeal to me. It got me! Can't wait for season 3 too!
Regards,
KrUpTiOn
--- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
* Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS(frontierbbs.net) - [Ohio] (1:226/17)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 26.04.19 21:16
Re: Thought on Discovery
Re: Re: Thought on Discovery
By: Frank Linhares to Kurt Weiske on Thu Apr 25 2019 12:04 pm

FL> I really thought that control was a Borg origin story, but then again,
FL> Picard would have kicked himself all this time knowing that the Borg could
FL> be stopped with a simple magnet.

Haha!

Yeah, I had the same thought about control. Maybe we'll get more from that
'history'. I'd guess Borg would have prolly had a link to the Federation at
some point in time. They have so many life-forms FROM the Federation
assemalated.

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 17.07.19 16:43
Re: Thought on Discovery
EO> That's true.. I think the term 'letterboxing' might refer to widescreen
EO> movies displayed on a 4:3 screen, but I'm not sure if there is an
EO> official definition. And even on a widescreen TV, some widescreen movies
EO> have black bars on the top & bottom because the movie was filmed with a
EO> wider aspect ratio than the TV (which I think you were saying as well).

Letterboxing is when showing something wider than the screen such as 16:9 on
4:3 or cine 2.35:1 on 16:9.

Pillarboxing is when showing thing that isn't wide enough such as 4:3 on 16:9
or 16:9 on 2.35:1.

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
|07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness
|11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)