Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: All
Date: Fri, 24.05.19 01:13
Linux & Modems
Re: Irex and Argus
By: RUBEN FIGUEROA to Charles Stephenson on Wed May 22 2019 07:32 am

All,

Wondering, I'm venturing into setting up my dial-up modem with linux, but since
(if I read it correct) by default, alot of distros don't support them. I'd have
to do something to my kernel.

Can anybody point me to some help sites/blogs/videos I can use to set my modems
up? I'm using Ubuntu 19.04 and I have a external 'linux compat' USB 56k
modem(s).

Thanks
Regards,
KrUpTiOn
--- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
* Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS(frontierbbs.net) - [Ohio] (1:226/17)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sun, 26.05.19 10:27
Re: Linux & Modems
-=> Andrew Leary wrote to Alexey Vissarionov > I'd have to do something to my kernel.

AV> Very unlikely: the main problem is systemd, and it resides in the
AV> userspace.

AL> This is another reason that I'm sticking with Slackware. No
AL> systemd garbage is used here.

Same here. Although I do wish Patrick would hurry up with
v15.0... It's been nearly three years.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Phillip Taylor (1:275/201.30)
To: All
Date: Sun, 01.11.20 10:41
Re: Linux & Modems
On Sat 25-May-2019 11:06p, Andrew Leary@1:320/219.0 said to Alexey
Vissarionov:

AL> 25 May 19 14:04, you wrote to Charles Stephenson:

AL> CS>> Wondering, I'm venturing into setting up my dial-up modem with
AL> CS>> linux, but since (if I read it correct) by default, alot of
AL> CS>> distros don't support them.

Please keep in mind that the recommended init strings in the manual in most
cases will not work if your trying to host a bbs system. You will have to play
around with the init strings to get it to work.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.11.20 04:42
Re: Linux & Modems
Hello Phillip!

01 Nov 2020 09:41, Phillip Taylor wrote to Andrew Leary:

PT> Please keep in mind that the recommended init strings in the manual in
PT> most cases will not work if your trying to host a bbs system. You
PT> will have to play around with the init strings to get it to work.

yes, it should be openrc or systemd in linux, bash is not supported, oh well it
looks like bash, but the intepretter is not bash

----- binkd begins -----
#!/sbin/openrc-run

depend(Wink {
need net localmount
use dns logger clock wlan
after bootmisc hostname
}

start(Wink {
ebegin "Starting binkd"
start-stop-daemon --start --user ${BINKD_USER} --exec /usr/bin/binkd
--pidfile ${BINKD_PID} -- ${BINKD_OPTIONS} ${BINKD_CFG}
eend $?
}

stop(Wink {
ebegin "Stopping binkd"
start-stop-daemon --stop --user ${BINKD_USER} --exec /usr/bin/binkd
--pidfile ${BINKD_PID}
eend $?
} ----- binkd ends -----

works on gentoo Smile

----- binkd begins -----
# /etc/conf.d/binkd: config file for /etc/init.d/binkd

# Options to pass to the binkd daemon.
# See the binkd(Cool man page for more info.

# dont use root
BINKD_USER="xpoint"

# change xpoint to what user dir is home dir
BINKD_CFG="/home/xpoint/config/binkd.conf"

# pid file must be in homedir
BINKD_PID="/home/xpoint/config/binkd.pid"

# other options outside of initrc
BINKD_OPTIONS="-CD"
----- binkd ends -----

Regards Benny

... too late to die young Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.9.2-gentoo-x86_64 (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)