Fidonet Portal

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12.42)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 00:09
FTS-5000.003
>> Messages editor used by Carol wraped line of own early message and
>> don't identify his line as own. In result part of Carol's text looks
>> as text of he opponent. This is technical bug with inundestanding
>> aftereffect.
CS> Stas. I replied to another on the IPV6. This was then quoted by one
CS> who adds initials and quoted a 3rd time in your reply.

AV> The quote prefix MUST be /^[[:blank:]]*[[:alnum:]]*>+^[[:blank:]]*/

not according to the proposal FSC-0032... the word "MUST" does not appear in
the section concerning newly quoted text... neither does it appear in the
section about the /optional/ initials OR in the section about previously quoted
text...

CS> Not all quoting software adds initials. Some wraps the text of
CS> others. My 'international' word was wrapped by another who quoted
CS> me. You can see that from the > markers.

AV> It was your editor which adds " > " in front of " YZ> " instead of
AV> simply increasing the quote level (" YZ>> "Wink. This _does_ _not_
AV> conform to common practice, and thus is annoying.

you are being too easily annoyed, alexey...

CS> Technical? Yes but not something unremarkable even though there are
CS> fewer softwares in use now. BBS quoting is much like mine.

AV> All known BBSes which produce more than 1000 messages per day use
AV> FSC-0032 quoting style.

i rather doubt that but i do like your use of the qualifier "known" ;)

[trim]

CS> If you have one like that, feel free to suggest it if diocumentation
CS> is in english. If not, dont sweat it that others use other versions.

AV> Documentation is available both in English and (of course) Russian.
AV> Also, example configuration files are almost self-explaining:
AV> http://cvs.golded.org/etc/golded.conf

if it doesn't support the system's existing message base storage format, it
isn't worth a hill of beans... some would do good to remember that but many
assume incorrect things all too often...

CS> Personally, I am utterly tired of the debate on what softwares quote
CS> in a way that others want them to. Mayjor :yawm: factor here after
CS> being beaten up over it from 2001.

AV> Yes, showing your incompetence (including the unability to set up
AV> modern software) is much easier than learning something new...

be careful what you call "modern", my friend...

CS> Shall we close this quoting thread? Basically everyone needs to have
CS> a clue when you see >> that there was another.

AV> Don't tell anything on behalf of everyone unless you can prove
AV> that.

exactly!

CS> This isnt rocket science. It's not even remotely new.

AV> Yes, the rocket science is much easier... Been there, checked that,
AV> got the (already expired) prohibition to leave the country for 10
AV> years.

ahhh... so that's the problem ;) Smile Laughing

)\/(ark

---
* Origin: (1:3634/12.42)