Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.11.12 12:22
FTS-5000.003
Good ${greeting_time}, Carol!

27 Nov 2012 20:47:50, you wrote to Stas Degteff:

>> Messages editor used by Carol wraped line of own early message and
>> don't identify his line as own. In result part of Carol's text looks
>> as text of he opponent. This is technical bug with inundestanding
>> aftereffect.
CS> Stas. I replied to another on the IPV6. This was then quoted by one
CS> who adds initials and quoted a 3rd time in your reply.

The quote prefix MUST be /^[[:blank:]]*[[:alnum:]]*>+^[[:blank:]]*/

CS> Not all quoting software adds initials. Some wraps the text of
CS> others. My 'international' word was wrapped by another who quoted
CS> me. You can see that from the > markers.

It was your editor which adds " > " in front of " YZ> " instead of simply
increasing the quote level (" YZ>> "Wink. This _does_ _not_ conform to common
practice, and thus is annoying.

CS> Technical? Yes but not something unremarkable even though there are
CS> fewer softwares in use now. BBS quoting is much like mine.

All known BBSes which produce more than 1000 messages per day use FSC-0032
quoting style.

CS> Wanna fix it? Come out with a freeware program that works for almost
CS> every software and has a fast easy cut-n-paste from text to a message
CS> like I need for my cooking echo.

Stas is the maintainer of the Golded.
Using it, you may paste text into your message as easy as:
http://pics.rsh.ru/img/screen-20121128113043_ltunf.png
http://pics.rsh.ru/img/screen-20121128113100_te4pj.png

Result:
==== ??? ====
Just a test...
==== ???? ====

Obviously, the "start of file" and "end of file" labels may be customized.

CS> I will not settle for some arcane 10 clicks-n-marks then paste
CS> system. It also needs to be user end accessable, not just sysop as i
CS> am often away and coming in as a remote user.

Pasting the text is even easier: select it in another window, and then
middle-click in Golded - xterm (and optionally ssh) will do the rest.

CS> If you have one like that, feel free to suggest it if diocumentation
CS> is in english. If not, dont sweat it that others use other versions.

Documentation is available both in English and (of course) Russian. Also,
example configuration files are almost self-explaining:
http://cvs.golded.org/etc/golded.conf

CS> Personally, I am utterly tired of the debate on what softwares quote
CS> in a way that others want them to. Mayjor :yawm: factor here after
CS> being beaten up over it from 2001.

Yes, showing your incompetence (including the unability to set up modern
software) is much easier than learning something new...

CS> Shall we close this quoting thread? Basically everyone needs to have
CS> a clue when you see >> that there was another.

Don't tell anything on behalf of everyone unless you can prove that.

CS> This isnt rocket science. It's not even remotely new.

Yes, the rocket science is much easier... Been there, checked that, got the
(already expired) prohibition to leave the country for 10 years.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... :wq!
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)