Fidonet Portal

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.11.12 21:23
FTS-5000.003
> Good ${greeting_time}, mark!

> AV>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> AV>> This wasn't written by me!
> ml> then you need to fix your quote reflowing...
>
> It works, so it doesn't need fixing.
> JFYI: quote prefix must not contain spaces.

Lets kill the quoter method bashing ok? None work perfectly in tandem
anymore. Lets do what others do and learn to read around it.

> The topic (use of "phone number" field) may be of general interest.

> CS>> Probably not but there's a few tricks that could be used.
> AV>> Can you show some?
>
> CS>> tinyurl comes to mind as worth looking at.
> AV>> HTTP redirects have nothing to do with neither TCP, nor Fidonet.
> ml> they do if one is using http(s) for a FTN mail transfer method ;)
>
> Which FSP describes that protocol? Smile

Possibly one not written. Lots of things are not documented but people are
doing them anyways. HTTP/s has been used in the USA quite a few times. It
was nodelist documented as a generic IP:(URL:port)

> AV>> And it seems like we're falling to offtopic here - let's move to
> AV>> FTSC_PUBLIC
> ml> why is this not on topic in the FTSC area? it is like numerous other
> ml> topics that have wandered about over the years...
>
> For now, the common practice is to store either "-Unpublished-" string or
> telephone number in this field. Also, some unwise people try to keep IP
> addresses in this field; this imposes a risk of misdialed numbers for some
> braindead mailers, but does anyone care?
>
> Obviously, this field does not allow anything except "-Unpublished-" or
> /^[0-9][0-9\-]+[0-9]$/ (being an FTSC member, you are expected to be able to
> understand regexes), so the Andre Grueneberg's joke quoted above ("We do not
> support IPv6 in the phone number field, do we? Smile"Wink was just a joke, and at
> least one of the readers (me) was unpleasantly surprised seeing the answer
> "There is no inherent reason not to." :-/

There is no inherent reason why it can not be changed. I do not like the
idea, but if some remain adamant that -Unpublished- must also have pvt
associated, there's going to need to be a fix for IPV6 nodes. The main fix
most use outside Z2 is 000-0-0-0-0 which any dialer can be set to ignore.

Either way, the important part is to let information flow and to format ways
to make it work among all of us.

xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS telnet://shenks.synchro.net (1:275/100)