Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.11.12 16:30
FTS-5000.003
Good ${greeting_time}, mark!

26 Nov 2012 14:44:10, you wrote to me:

>>> international
AV>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AV>> This wasn't written by me!
ml> then you need to fix your quote reflowing...

It works, so it doesn't need fixing.
JFYI: quote prefix must not contain spaces.

ml> 1. the original wasn't quoted with that word wrapped to the next
ml> line...
ml> 2. neither did it contain any attribution of who wrote it...
ml> 3. the bad quote reflow happened when you quoted it in FTSC

The (1) was formatted in a proper way, wasn't it?

ml> 4. the bad quote reflow carried into here when you crossposted it
ml> from the private FTSC echo... why'd you do that??

The topic (use of "phone number" field) may be of general interest.

>>> Are strings like 2a01:ba80::900d:f001:dead:f001 allowed in phone
>>> field? Smile
CS>> Probably not but there's a few tricks that could be used.
AV>> Can you show some?

Is the software that you use able to increase quote level on reply? If yes,
please make it doing so - now it looks ugly:

http://pics.rsh.ru/img/quoting_syx2r.png

CS>> tinyurl comes to mind as worth looking at.
AV>> HTTP redirects have nothing to do with neither TCP, nor Fidonet.
ml> they do if one is using http(s) for a FTN mail transfer method ;)

Which FSP describes that protocol? Smile

AV>> And it seems like we're falling to offtopic here - let's move to
AV>> FTSC_PUBLIC
ml> why is this not on topic in the FTSC area? it is like numerous other
ml> topics that have wandered about over the years...

For now, the common practice is to store either "-Unpublished-" string or
telephone number in this field. Also, some unwise people try to keep IP
addresses in this field; this imposes a risk of misdialed numbers for some
braindead mailers, but does anyone care?

Obviously, this field does not allow anything except "-Unpublished-" or
/^[0-9][0-9\-]+[0-9]$/ (being an FTSC member, you are expected to be able to
understand regexes), so the Andre Grueneberg's joke quoted above ("We do not
support IPv6 in the phone number field, do we? Smile"Wink was just a joke, and at
least one of the readers (me) was unpleasantly surprised seeing the answer
"There is no inherent reason not to." :-/

ml> are you just trying to find some way of disqualifying carol or
ml> otherwise trying to cause her to not be re-selected in this round?

Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind... You both are disqualifying yourself
much more effectively than anyone else with your incompetence and reversionism.

ml> remember, dirty tricks go both ways and you endeavouring to knock her
ml> out when there's no real competition for spots can also come back to
ml> bite you and get you knocked out for using dirty tricks in the first
ml> place...

You are welcome. Even if you'd succeed, I don't bother, as I have enough other
things to do for the Fidonet.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... :wq!
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)