Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.11.12 10:29
FTS-5000.003
Good ${greeting_time}, Carol!

25 Nov 2012 12:54:14, you wrote to me:

>> CS> There is no inherent reason not to. The field by definition was
>> CS> longer to support the needs of some countries where the
>> international
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This wasn't written by me!
>> CS> dial number is longer. Japan for example has a longer one.
>>
>> Are strings like 2a01:ba80::900d:f001:dead:f001 allowed in phone
>> field? Smile
CS> Probably not but there's a few tricks that could be used.

Can you show some?

CS> tinyurl comes to mind as worth looking at.

HTTP redirects have nothing to do with neither TCP, nor Fidonet.

And it seems like we're falling to offtopic here - let's move to FTSC_PUBLIC

* Originally in FTSC
* Crossposted in FTSC_PUBLIC

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... god@universe:~ # cvs up && make world
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.11.12 07:55
Re: FTS-5000.003
ml> "we" (the FTSC) are not the ones to decide that... the developers and
ml> users of the software are the ones who decide that... "we" (the FTSC)
ml> only document current practise contrary to what some documents seem to
ml> depict...

Hear, hear !!

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.59
* Origin: Many Glacier / Protect - Preserve - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 16:32
Re: FTS-5000.003
ml> CS> Granted SBBS can use almost any editor so any one that works for
ml> CS> the user's needs is there.
ml>
ml> as long as the local message base format is supported... many who are
ml> fussing at you about your quoting are assuming that everyone is using a
ml> sysop/point editor and they are ignorant about how many folks actually
ml> still log into their bbs and use its editor(s)...

FYI, GoldEd, MsgEd, TimEd, and whatever other "sysop readers" out there do
NOT currently support Synchronet's message base format. If they would like
to, by all means: http://www.synchro.net/docs/smb.html -- and I believe the
reasoning behind it is available there as well.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A21 (Linux)
* Origin: thePharcyde_ http://www.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (1:154/10.1)

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 20:37
Re: FTS-5000.003
ml> NB> FYI, GoldEd, MsgEd, TimEd, and whatever other "sysop readers" out
ml> NB> there do NOT currently support Synchronet's message base format.
ml>
ml> yup! that's why i specifically pointed it out... some folks out there
ml> think that all software is fully supported by all sysop/point readers...
ml> another one that is not supported is wildcat! and its various
ml> incarnations... and PCBoard and many others... sadly it seems like a huge
ml> number of members of the network have forgotten all about BBS' and what
ml> they truly entail and offer... instead most folks are pointed (pun!Wink to
ml> point packages and the actual "family" and "community" of a BBS is never
ml> realized... as such, those operators also never know what they are really
ml> missing and can never really understand it, either...

Yeah well. Their loss, not ours. I will never go to a sysop reader. The BBS
is where I started, and is really the only reason I'm still here.

ml> NB> If they would like to, by all means:
ml> NB> http://www.synchro.net/docs/smb.html -- and I believe the reasoning
ml> NB> behind it is available there as well.
ml>
ml> thanks for that pointer to tne synchronet message base spec... sadly,
ml> tough, it won't help the older versions of the readers that are out
ml> there... but it is good to know and to point others to it for future
ml> reference Smile

That's what it was pointed out for. If these guys give a sh!t, they'll add
support for it, maybe even realizing that SMB is probably more advanced
than JAM or Squish. I doubt it, though.

From: Joe Delahaye (1:249/303)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 20:37
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Nicholas Boel to mark lewis on Thu Nov 29 2012 15:32:00

> FYI, GoldEd, MsgEd, TimEd, and whatever other "sysop readers" out there do
> NOT currently support Synchronet's message base format. If they would like
> to, by all means: http://www.synchro.net/docs/smb.html -- and I believe the
> reasoning behind it is available there as well.

Pray tell then, how I can read my Synch message base with Golded?
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
* Origin: The Lions Den BBS, Trenton, On, CDN (1:249/303)

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 20:39
Re: FTS-5000.003
JD> > FYI, GoldEd, MsgEd, TimEd, and whatever other "sysop readers" out there
JD> > NOT currently support Synchronet's message base format. If they would li
JD> > to, by all means: http://www.synchro.net/docs/smb.html -- and I believe
JD> > reasoning behind it is available there as well.
JD>
JD> Pray tell then, how I can read my Synch message base with Golded?

You can? If so, then it's news to me.. unless you're feeding another tosser
in a VM or something that supports JAM or Squish, and editing those
messages with GoldEd.

With your reply here, you weren't using GoldEd. And my original post you
replied to was saying that you CAN'T read your Sync message bases with
GoldEd.

If you can, please inform the rest of us so it can be passed on.

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 23:34
Re: FTS-5000.003
> ml> NB> If they would like to, by all means:
> ml> NB> http://www.synchro.net/docs/smb.html -- and I believe the reasoning
> ml> NB> behind it is available there as well.
> ml>
> ml> thanks for that pointer to tne synchronet message base spec... sadly,
> ml> tough, it won't help the older versions of the readers that are out
> ml> there... but it is good to know and to point others to it for future
> ml> reference Smile
>
> That's what it was pointed out for. If these guys give a sh!t, they'll add
> support for it, maybe even realizing that SMB is probably more advanced
> than JAM or Squish. I doubt it, though.

But we can use most editors. Just not all of them. I know a few required JAM
or *.msg and some setup up duplicate bases with *.msg apparently to use other
editors for just the sysop? That seems what i have seen.

I chose to not do that. There is nothing wrong with SBBS although I would
'like' an editor that suits me better. I tried about 15 and settled on this
one. It's FSE which I like but do not require.

xxcarol

--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS telnet://shenks.synchro.net (1:275/100)

From: Joe Delahaye (1:249/303)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 23:34
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Nicholas Boel to Joe Delahaye on Thu Nov 29 2012 19:39:00

> JD> Pray tell then, how I can read my Synch message base with Golded?
>
> You can? If so, then it's news to me.. unless you're feeding another tosser
> in a VM or something that supports JAM or Squish, and editing those
> messages with GoldEd.

No other tosser tossing anything as of yet at least. I'm playing with DB but
it has no access to the message base. I have had Golded set up for several
years now. Somebody pointed out to me how to do it, and it works. Problem I
have is accross the lan.

> With your reply here, you weren't using GoldEd. And my original post you
> replied to was saying that you CAN'T read your Sync message bases with
> GoldEd.

No, using an internal editor from within the BBS. I know what your post
stated, which is why I answered as I did.

> If you can, please inform the rest of us so it can be passed on.

This is what I was told to add to the config file where the various bbs formats
are

AREAFILE Synchronet \\bbs\c\SBBS\ctrl\msgs.cnf
AREAFILE Synchronet \\bbs\c\SBBS\ctrl\areas.bbs

The path of course will vary according to your needs. The above shows access
to the message base on another computer accross the lan. As I said I have some
trouble with answering because of that, but I can read things just fine. I
notice that it has some errors now since I switched to 64 bit OS, but it still
runs and I can still read the message base. This version is from 2003 however.

Golded+/W32 1.1.5-30512 is the version I am using. Not sure if later versions
will work or not.

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.12 23:41
Re: FTS-5000.003
> JD> > FYI, GoldEd, MsgEd, TimEd, and whatever other "sysop readers" out the
> JD> > NOT currently support Synchronet's message base format. If they would
> JD> > to, by all means: http://www.synchro.net/docs/smb.html -- and I belie
> JD> > reasoning behind it is available there as well.
> JD>
> JD> Pray tell then, how I can read my Synch message base with Golded?
>
> You can? If so, then it's news to me.. unless you're feeding another tosser
> in a VM or something that supports JAM or Squish, and editing those
> messages with GoldEd.
>
> With your reply here, you weren't using GoldEd. And my original post you
> replied to was saying that you CAN'T read your Sync message bases with
> GoldEd.
>
> If you can, please inform the rest of us so it can be passed on.

Absolutely. I've been told so may times to convert to it but it's not native
that i can see and I really dont want to dual process to make a second copy
in another format just for me.

It's doable i am sure, but not al l native.

From: Richard Miles (1:3634/24)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.12 00:23
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Nicholas Boel to mark lewis on Thu Nov 29 2012 07:37 pm

> > BBS is never realized... as such, those operators also never know what
> > they are really missing and can never really understand it, either...

> Yeah well. Their loss, not ours. I will never go to a sysop reader. The
> BBS is where I started, and is really the only reason I'm still here.

Same here. I wouldn't mind an external reader for netmail but that's about it.
--- SBBSecho 2.20-Win32
* Origin: SHADOWSCOPE BBS * RMILES.MYHOMESEER.COM (1:3634/24)

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.12 18:30
Re: FTS-5000.003
JD> No other tosser tossing anything as of yet at least. I'm playing with DB
JD> but it has no access to the message base. I have had Golded set up for
JD> several years now. Somebody pointed out to me how to do it, and it
JD> works. Problem I have is accross the lan.

I'll have to test that out. Thanks for correcting me.

JD> The path of course will vary according to your needs. The above shows
JD> access to the message base on another computer accross the lan. As I
JD> said I have some trouble with answering because of that, but I can read
JD> things just fine. I notice that it has some errors now since I switched
JD> to 64 bit OS, but it still runs and I can still read the message base.
JD> This version is from 2003 however.
JD>
JD> Golded+/W32 1.1.5-30512 is the version I am using. Not sure if later
JD> versions will work or not.

According to golded.org, Golded+ 1.1.5 is from 2012.05.07.. I'm confused. Smile

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.12 18:34
Re: FTS-5000.003
JD> NB> If you can, please inform the rest of us so it can be passed on.
JD>
JD> If it works this is from Golded+

Quoting was definitely Golded+, not Synchronet. Smile

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.12 22:00
Re: FTS-5000.003
PQ> There are different compiler versions to contend with as well:
PQ> MinGW/Cygwin or MS Visual C++. Ask Joe which he is using, perhaps.
PQ>
PQ> When I'm using GoldEd here I use the Cygwin compile executables.

I've tried about 5 different linux versions already, and all of them
error during compile (something about mygolded.h not being found, and when
I comment the #include mygolded.h line out, I end up with another error. I
then tried the binary package (gpl115*.zip), and came up with nothing there
either. I'll tinker a little more with it, but I'm losing patience already.
This seems to happen quite often with this maintainer, unfortunately.

From: Joe Delahaye (1:249/303)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.12 22:20
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Nicholas Boel to Joe Delahaye on Fri Nov 30 2012 17:30:00

> According to golded.org, Golded+ 1.1.5 is from 2012.05.07.. I'm confused.
> Smile

Well, going by the timestamps on the exe, etc, it was from 2003. That version
number showed in the startup and the screen saver. I updated to a later
version after that.. Dont know what to tell you other then what it said in my
directory

From: Joe Delahaye (1:249/303)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.12 22:24
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Paul Quinn to Nicholas Boel on Sat Dec 01 2012 10:14:00

> NB> According to golded.org, Golded+ 1.1.5 is from 2012.05.07.. I'm
> NB> confused. Smile
>
> There are different compiler versions to contend with as well: MinGW/Cygwin
> or MS Visual C++. Ask Joe which he is using, perhaps.
>
> When I'm using GoldEd here I use the Cygwin compile executables.

The one I have now, is gedwin.exe The previous one that I mentioned the
version number of was Gedcyg.exe and it is dated 12/05/2003. The Gedwin.exe is
dated 21/03/2011. Hopefully that tells the tale?

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.12 01:01
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Paul Quinn to Nicholas Boel on Sat Dec 01 2012 02:11 pm

> Oh, bummer. I didn't see the 'linux' bytes on your tearline.

I'm not too worried about it. It would be nice to give it a try, but I'm not
going to pull my hair out trying to get broken code and a CVS that doesn't
allow hitting enter for the anonymous password at this point. Smile

I did get Msged compiled and setup over here. Though every time I try to post a
message it doesn't get sent out. I see the message here on my point system, but
it's never exported to my hub. Do you have to set attributes for every message?
If so, which ones?

I've setup the echotoss.log, so that Msged creates it, then I modified my
echopoll script to add if echotoss.log exists, to run my tosser (hpt), where it
is configured in there as well.

If I post a message, and so far I've used "route to hub," "crash," and a couple
others, with no different results. Msged creates the echotoss.log, hpt sees it,
but doesn't export any new messages. Sad

> Uh, ah. In my Puppy linux vBoxes I have trouble with the newest too, and
> have never been able to successfully compile any sources. (Yes, I do have
> a "dev" environment in my main Puppy vBox [the 1st of three vBoxes].Wink So
> I'm still running the 13/02/2011 distribution executables, quite
> comfortably.

I'm not sure if I went that far back. I think the latest sources I tried was
02/29/2011. And didn't bother with executables that far back, since the newer
ones seemed to have been looking for an outdated version of GCC.

--
Nick aka axisd
(http) www(dot)pharcyde(dot)org

--- SBBSecho 2.20-Linux
* Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10.1)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.12 03:36
Re: FTS-5000.003
NB>> I did get Msged compiled and setup over here. Though every time I try
NB>> my point system, but it's never exported to my hub. Do you have to set
NB>> attributes for every message? If so, which ones?

PQ> There's a good clue there. Just make sure the 'local' attribute is set
PQ> 'on'. That'll put the kybosh on any scan outs if it's not set; your hpt
PQ> will ignore them. I hope that gets that bug for you.

So Basically, If I would have left it alone in the first place, everything
would have been fine. Looks like it's working now, thanks!

BTW, I did snag that binary version of Golded you said you used on Puppy. It
seems like it will work for me, I just have to figure out how to import my
message areas into it, since what Joe told me to do with the couple of
Synchronet lines isn't working over here. I have Msged on my Mystic system
reading from my husky fidoconfig file, which was a piece of cake to setup. I'll
tinker a little more when it's not 3am.

Then again, I don't know how much better Golded will be than Msged. It seems as
though Golded's "advanced" sample config file is a little ridiculous, I mean,
You really want beeps and sounds, and play music from your message editor? I
don't need all that. lol Msged is also monochrome by default, which I like.

I'll still play with Golded a bit, just so I see with my own eyes that it can
be used with Synchronet. Smile

Nick

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2
* Origin: thePharcyde_ http://www.pharcyde.org (1:154/10.1@fidonet)
.
205 Goodbye

From: Paul Quinn (3:640/384)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.12 11:14
Re: FTS-5000.003
Hi! Nicholas,

In a message to Joe Delahaye you wrote:

JD>> Golded+/W32 1.1.5-30512 is the version I am using. Not sure if
JD>> later versions will work or not.

NB> According to golded.org, Golded+ 1.1.5 is from 2012.05.07.. I'm
NB> confused. Smile

There are different compiler versions to contend with as well: MinGW/Cygwin or
MS Visual C++. Ask Joe which he is using, perhaps.

When I'm using GoldEd here I use the Cygwin compile executables.

Cheers,
Paul.

... ///\oo/\\\ There are no more bugs. ///\oo/\\\ ///\oo/\\\
--- Paul's Win98SE VirtualBox
* Origin: Quinn's Post - Maryborough, Queensland, OZ (3:640/384)

From: Joe Delahaye (1:249/303)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.12 12:42
Re: FTS-5000.003
Re: Re: FTS-5000.003
By: Paul Quinn to Joe Delahaye on Sat Dec 01 2012 14:13:00

> Yep. One tale to tell, here: I'm sticking with what works, and continues
> to work no matter how old. Smile
>
> I reckon you ought to do the same. That demo you did looked real nice,
> Joe.

As soon as I can figure out what the errors are (and hopefully fix them) I may
eventually switch over to use that instaead of logging into the BBS all the
time. We shall see how that goes.

From: Paul Quinn (3:640/384)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.12 15:11
Re: FTS-5000.003
Hi! Nicholas,

On Fri, 30 Nov 12, you wrote to me:

PQ>> When I'm using GoldEd here I use the Cygwin compile executables.
NB> I've tried about 5 different linux versions already

Oh, bummer. I didn't see the 'linux' bytes on your tearline.

NB> This seems to happen quite often with this maintainer, unfortunately.

Uh, ah. In my Puppy linux vBoxes I have trouble with the newest too, and have
never been able to successfully compile any sources. (Yes, I do have a "dev"
environment in my main Puppy vBox [the 1st of three vBoxes].Wink So I'm still
running the 13/02/2011 distribution executables, quite comfortably.

Cheers,
Paul.

... Right Rudder, Left Stick. Wheeeeeee!