Fidonet Portal

From: a425couple (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 06.08.19 22:19
Re: Hanseatic League
From: a425couple

On 8/6/2019 1:50 AM, SolomonW wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 23:49:13 -0700 (PDT), ggggg9271@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, June 27, 2000 at 9:00:00 PM UTC-10, noid wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> You can check the reference lists given at the end of the papers that I
>>> have published on my homepage: http://schonewille.cjb.net
>>> If you have questions about the economic significance of the Hanse, I
>>> would be glad to help you.
>>> Mark

https://www.historyextra.com/period/medieval/a-medieval-european-union-why-the-h
anseatic-league-still-matters/

> The city of Tallinn, Estonia has gone to a lot of effort in recreating some
> of the Hanseatic League sites, I enjoyed it a lot and recommend it to
> others here to visit.
>
> PS Alcohol is very cheap there and very good, so
> enjoy.

In 2016 we spent several days in Bergen Norway.
They have a restored Hanseatic League area on the waterfront.
Bryggen.

here is one relevant link
see
https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/cruising-ashore-exploring-bergen-norw
ay-s-historic-bryggen-district

Cruising Ashore: Exploring Bergen, Norway's "Bryggen"
by Susan J. Young
Jan 21, 2019 9:54am

Cruisers often say that one of Scandinavia’s prettiest ports is Bergen,
Norway. Travel Agent – from a visit there last fall – would definitely
agree. The destination is both a popular cruise embarkation port and
port of call.

What’s special? In past centuries, Bergen was a maritime powerhouse, and
while it was not an official Hanseatic League city it was one of four
Hanseatic League seafaring/trade “quarters” along with Bruges, Belgium;
London, England; and Novgorod, Russia.

Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bergen's historic Bryggen (wharf) area
along the Vagen fjord features grand multi-story wooden structures and
narrow passageways into back streets. But the city is actually much
older than the Hanseatic era; it dates from Medieval times.

FREE CRUISE NEWSLETTER
Like This Story? Subscribe to the Cruise Newsletter!
The latest product launches, deals, sales promotions, and executive
appointments in the cruise industry. Keep up on the latest cruise
industry news.
Subscribe Now
Just Meander
The best way to explore Bryggen is to simply meander on foot. Check out
our original slide show above detailing Bryggen’s historic buildings
with maroon, yellow and brown coloring. These tall, slim, wooden
townhouse-like structures deliver a vibe of past centuries.

Some lean precariously upon each other. A large stag’s head adorns one
of the structures.

Looking at the front of these water-facing buildings, cruisers will see
several narrow public passageways with arched entries. We'd recommend
entering to stroll those alleys, admire the soaring gables and imagine
how the locals lived and worked centuries ago.

That said, visitors should take care when walking as Bryggen has
cobblestoned streets and many uneven surfaces. Housed within the
historic buildings are artists’ studios, craft/souvenir shops and a
"must pop in" fishing tackle shop, not a surprising shop given Bergen's
fishing heritage.

Tucked away at the end of one passageway is a courtyard displaying a
giant wooden fish sculpture, which definitely warrants a selfie. It’s
outside Audun Hetlands Atelier, a gallery exhibiting works by the late
Norwegian caricaturist.

Hanseatic History
To learn about life during four centuries of the Hanseatic era, visitors
would typically visit the Hanseatic Museum, built in 1704 and one of
Bergen’s oldest wooden buildings. But while visitors can admire the
outside of the building on Finnegarden (shown in our slide show), the
main museum is closed through 2024, as restoration work is under way.

However, starting on May 1, those who head for the museum’s Shotstuene
complex, home to four former Hanseatic assembly rooms and two cook
rooms, will find new Hanseatic exhibitions, plus details on the
Finnegarden restoration.

Most notably, visitors can peer into a medieval ruin hidden underneath
the building and newly visible through a glass floor.

Another spot that provides good historical perspective is the Bryggen
Museum, with the city's oldest foundations and artifacts; it’s currently
closed for construction of a new exhibition but will reopen in late May,
just in time for the summer Norwegian cruise season.

More Tidbits
Today, cargo ships still arrive/depart from Bergen with fish, seafood
and other goods, but they also transport different cargo of the human
kind -- tens of thousands of cruise visitors annually, many of whom
can’t wait to stroll through Bergen’s historic downtown.

For pre- and post-cruise stays, it's advantageous to stay at a property
that’s within easy walking distance of Bryggen. Among the conveniently
located choices is the 342-room Raddison Blu Norge, where Travel Agent
stayed for several nights. Our room was spacious, well-appointed and
overlooked the harbor area, plus the hotel had an excellent on-site
restaurant, 26 North.

Even if cruisers aren’t staying at the hotel, 26 North Bar & Social
Club, with direct access to/from Bryggen’s waterfront, offers a range of
snacks, light meals and drinks throughout the day. In late afternoon, it
seemed as popular with the locals as with hotel guests.

For free or discounted entry to museums and other Bergen attractions,
consider the Bergen Card, available for purchase online or from the
city’s Bergen Tourist Information Center. For details and other tourism
information, visit www.visitbergen.com.

Related Stories
More Cruise Deals for Wave Season 2019

Scenic Offers Bonus Rewards Points on January, February Bookings

AmaWaterways Names Julia Lo Bue-Said as Godmother of AmaDouro

PONANT to Now Offer Complimentary Wi-Fi Across its Fleet

Read More On:
CRUISE INFORMATION NORWAY TRAVEL BERGEN UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITES
EUROPE PONANT RADDISON BLU NORGE BRYGGEN

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: SolomonW (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 09.08.19 03:00
Re: Hanseatic League
From: SolomonW

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:19:44 -0700, a425couple wrote:

> [...]

> overlooked the harbor area, plus the hotel had an excellent on-site
> restaurant, 26 North.
>

> snacks, light meals and drinks throughout the day. In late afternoon, it
> seemed as popular with the locals as with hotel guests.
>
> For free or discounted entry to museums and other Bergen attractions,
> consider the Bergen Card, available for purchase online or from the

> information, visit www.visitbergen.com.
>
> Related Stories
> More Cruise Deals for Wave Season 2019
>
> Scenic Offers Bonus Rewards Points on January, February Bookings
>
> AmaWaterways Names Julia Lo Bue-Said as Godmother of AmaDouro
>
> PONANT to Now Offer Complimentary Wi-Fi Across its Fleet
>
> Read More On:
> CRUISE INFORMATION NORWAY TRAVEL BERGEN UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITES
> EUROPE PONANT RADDISON BLU NORGE BRYGGEN

I saw the Hanseatic Museum there and it was as you say very nice.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: a425couple (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 06.08.19 22:19