Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Tue, 02.03.21 09:16
who would fall for this?
AA>> So, it seems that *just* having the private key block
AA>> (without also knowing the passphrase) is not very useful
AA>> to anyone.

WvV> Some people save their private key without a password, for
WvV> easy usage.

Easy, but very unwise. Otherwise, what's the point? Yeah..
some people deserve to be compromised, I guess.

WvV> Sometimes you "need" to save it without a
WvV> password when you need to use it from automated scripts.

Scripting.. never thought of that. But I seem to recall that
there are ways to pass the passphrase via a variable or
something which would be better than having no passphrase at
all.

WvV> And when a key has a simple password, it would be possible
WvV> to brute force finding the password...

I wish I could remember what I used for:

pub 512R/246249F7 1994-02-16
Fingerprint=BC 1B B6 D5 15 AC F1 D4 F2 B4 0F A2 D6 31 7F 53

I'm pretty sure that's me as "abolins" when you do a key search.

I know that I have the private key stored on a 3.5" diskette -
somewhere. I used pgp to email TODO lists to myself from home
to work and back. I don't think I could brute force the secret
if I tried. It was a modified latvian phrase. The key is what
did I do to tweak the phrase?
--
../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
* Origin: Key ID = 0x5789589B (2:221/1.58)