Fidonet Portal

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 11.08.13 12:29
A regional policy
Hello Michael,

> If a region wants now to issue a local policy, who will approve it in the
> absence of an elected IC? ZCC? Or is it OK to live without any approval? Smile

I think all the ZCs will agree with me that the ZCC would discuss and
approve/disapprove such a document.

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 19.08.13 01:43
Re: A regional policy
Michael,

MD> If a region wants now to issue a local policy, who will approve it in the
MD> absence of an elected IC? ZCC? Or is it OK to live without any approval?
MD> Smile

In Z2 we already have a regional policy that covers R24 (Germany).

The sysops there have discussed in-depth how to run Fidonet in their region and
I as ZC was fully OK with that.

I fully understand that Zone-2 is composed of many islands with their own
peculiarities and that often P4 offers no solution and in specific cases may
even be illegal. Hence the need may arise to have a local policy even though at
first sight it may be contradictory to what so-called "visionary people without
a clue" 25 years ago or more thought.

The purpose of a policy, and therefore also of a local policy, is to make
things function better. That can only be applauded.

The only reservations I made in the case of R24 were:

* Your regional policy cannot apply outside of your region
* If a policy complaint comes forward and reaches the Zonal level, then I'm
sorry but P4 will be the yardstick.

Perhaps it was worded different, but that was the meaning of the message.

12 years later there has not been a single complaint reaching my level.

RC50 has netmailed a similar question as R50 I understand wants to embark upon
a similar adventure and I answered him in netmail generally the same thing.

Mind you, your regional policy would not replace P4 if that is what your
question is about. It supplements it.

Are you OK with this?

Take care,

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.9
* Origin: Many Glacier / Protect - Preserve - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 19.08.13 22:17
Re: A regional policy
Michael,

MD> Have you an
MD> English version of the R24 local policy you mentioned and if yes could
MD> you please send it to me? Then I can publish it in R50.SYSOP, so we do
MD> not reinvent a wheel.

It should be in your inbound when this message arrives.

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 20.08.13 00:24
Re: A regional policy
Michael,

MD>WD> It should be in your inbound when this message arrives.

MD> I've received it, thank you.

It's a pleasure.

When R24 made the exercise, they sent me several drafts for an opinion. R50 is
welcome to do that as well ... if the sysops want me to help that is.

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 20.08.13 06:42
Re: A regional policy
Janis,

JK> I think all the ZCs will agree with me that the ZCC would discuss and
JK> approve/disapprove such a document.

Well, this ZC doesn't agree as was clear from a previous posting.

There has been a regional policy in R24 and none of the other ZCs was involved,
none cared even except a few reknowned Z1 P4-humpers whom only turn to that
document when it suits them.

The ZCC has been effectively rendered obsolete by your interventions in the
past. For that reason, it is not going to be involved.

Even if it were like that, and the R50-sysops flicked the middle-finger,
there's nothing that the 3 ZCs could do about it. They don't need us.

Might as well learn to live with it.

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 20.08.13 10:04
Re: A regional policy
Hi Ward,

>> I think all the ZCs will agree with me that the ZCC would discuss and
>> approve/disapprove such a document.

> Well, this ZC doesn't agree as was clear from a previous posting.

You use the ZCC as it was intended when it's convenient for you I notice. Your
statement that I somehow rendered the ZCC obsolete is tired and old, and not
true as you know.

But fear not Ward, no one is going to mind if your Zone considers a regional
policy in a situation like this. Zone 1 did so in the past, and will continue
to do so over here as well.

There are times all of this hoopla is really not necessary.

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)