Fidonet Portal

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 09.11.11 04:20
Regions
What is the smallest region in Z1, either in terms of nodes or nets?

I'm wondering because of the observation that Z2 has 2 or 3 regions with
only one node in them, and perhaps another half dozen with fewer than
ten nodes each.

That sounds pretty strange to me, especially when there are elections
(e.g. FTSC) where only RCs can vote.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) comcast (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 03:22:44, 09 Nov 2011
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 09.11.11 12:21
Re: Regions
Dale,

DS> What is the smallest region in Z1, either in terms of nodes or nets?

The reason for the establishment of zones in Z1 is different than Z2.

POTS calling costs being the most important one here as an out-of-region call
is an international call, also language. I know, binkd ... Z1, with the
exception of some smaller areas, is all the same linguistically with decent
calling plans at times.

As information, regions are being cleaned-up here. There's an ongoing action to
repopulate R33, 3 maybe 4 regions are to be axed as "not active" ... not active
regions will also not vote.

The question at the same time can be asked if Z1 still needs 10 regions. With
about 300 or so individual sysops surviving that could be easily done with 1
region. (look at the size of R50 here).

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.59
* Origin: Many Glacier / Protect - Preserve - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 09.11.11 12:53
Re: Regions
> The question at the same time can be asked if Z1 still needs 10 regions. With
> about 300 or so individual sysops surviving that could be easily done with 1
> region. (look at the size of R50 here).

Likewise all of Europe could fit into 1 Smile

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 09.11.11 17:15
Re: Regions
Ross,

RC>DS> I'm wondering because of the observation that Z2 has 2 or 3 regions
RC>DS> with only one node in them, and perhaps another half dozen with
RC> fewer
RC>DS> than ten nodes each.

RC> Because of language and culture differences, I believe each country got
RC> its own region??

Sort of, but I think the main factor was the cost.

Lately it has all become affordable, but 20 years ago you wanted to avoid
international calls by all means.

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 10.11.11 01:19
Re: Regions
-=> On 11-09-11 07:38, Ross Cassell spoke to Dale Shipp about Regions I'm wondering because of the observation that Z2 has 2 or 3 regions
DS> with only one node in them, and perhaps another half dozen with fewer
DS> than ten nodes each.

RC> Because of language and culture differences, I believe each
RC> country got its own region??

That does make some sense, more so than the argument about calling
costs. They would still need to call the same people whether they were
a region or a node in a net in another region. To me, nets and regions
have never had much to do with who I call.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) comcast (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:21:55, 10 Nov 2011

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 10.11.11 16:31
Re: Regions
JK> > The question at the same time can be asked if Z1 still needs 10
JK> regions. With
JK> > about 300 or so individual sysops surviving that could be easily done
JK> with 1
JK> > region. (look at the size of R50 here).

JK> Likewise all of Europe could fit into 1 Smile

Shall we do it then?

No need for 5 zones. We can locate that single region then here and all nets of
all regions would be handled by me.

Not too difficult I guess to establish.