Fidonet Portal

From: Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
To: All
Date: Sun, 23.09.12 14:35
Russian encodings in current use
Hey Sergey!

SS> I have a reason to believe that fidonet.ozzmosis.com does not know
SS> anything about UTF-8 and probably expects its Fidonet input to be
SS> ISO-8859-1 or another single-byte charset.

Could very well be true but from the text browsers I use (links and lynx) only
utf-8 characters are displayed properly and any time I've sent ISO-8859-1 they
don't convert to their proper codes so I suspect that it is indeed utf-8 with
broken word wrapping. You could be right but I don't think so. Anyhow I know
how it could be proved but I am getting sick and tired of altering scripts just
to prove things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Bottomline is fghi.pp.ru is getting it right, including the word wrapping, and
thus demonstrates that an FTN utf-8 format is indeed doable, even in a web
based enviroment.

I used to have an issue with word wrapping utf-8 characters on my 'linux'
terminals before patching and deploying coreutils' 'fold' for this cause.
'WeBeBashing' doesn't require nor use any web based tools but it could if it
wanted to. Not sure why it would want to though.

SS> the sentence does not make sense as a whole

I kind of thought it didn't look quite right but wasn't sure given my extremely
limited knowledge of the Russian language. I used the online Google translator
to translate, "If it ain't broken you aren't trying hard enough." I see the
words translated more or less okay but the meaning was totally lost. Oh well,
back to the drawing board.

Life is good,
Maurice

... Possunt quia posse videntur.
--- GNU bash, version 4.2.37(2)-release (x86_64-atom-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)