Fidonet Portal

From: Earl Truss (1:123/789)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.01.09 09:39
Test
"Miles Maxted -> Earl Truss" wrote in message
MM> G'morning Earl and James,

MM> With respect, I've heard them say that 1 + 1 = 3 when the true
MM> value of 1 approaches 1.49999999 - c'est beaucoup vrai, n'est ce
MM> pas ?

Yes, 1 + 1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1.

ET>> It comes from the fact that 0C is the same as 32F
ET>> and 100C is the same as 212F - the freezing and boiling
ET>> points of water.

ET>> (212 - 32) / 100
ET>> 180 / 100
ET>> 18 / 10
ET>> 9 / 5

Actually, I thought of another difference. The Centigrade scale and other
metric measures aren't based exactly on the freezing point of water. They are
based on the temperature when water is most dense which is slightly above 0F.
When water goes through the freezing phase change, it expands and becomes less
dense. Wasn't the metric system at one point based on the volume and weight of
a given amount of water at its most dense temperature?

Yes, here it is. The original definition of the gram: "the absolute weight of
a volume of pure water equal to the cube of the hundredth part of a metre, and

--- Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
* Origin: Fidonet Via Newsreader - http://www.easternstar.info (1:123/789.0)