Fidonet Portal

From: Doug Connor (1:132/500)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 05.01.09 23:51
Season's Greetings
Miles Maxted -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM> G'morning Doug,

DC>> I seem to have an abundance of time to watch the history or
DC>> discovery channels, or scifi chan is good too.

MM> How's your access to a good library ?
Now that would be an idea.
guess I'd have to put on those dam reading glasses.
I can adjust the monitor + light to where I can read it so a book
would be a challenge

hehe a can hear it now the audio tapes of Hawkings theorys or
einstien.
Would drive my wife nuts.
mm would rather listen to my 40 gigs of mp3 music.
another of my hobbys is recording LP Albums 8-tracks etc to mp3 files.
hehe I got an amp and speakers so the neibors can hear too.

DC>> I am happy i have a money the gov put away from my 30 years of working
DC>> that keeps my monthly bills payed.

MM> Doesn't your Inland Revenue Service have the motto "Taxes pay for
MM> a civilised state" ? It certainly sounds as if they are looking
MM> after you..
as for the Irs they do the collecting, the Social security dept.
does the dispersing.
the doctors and employers seem to think it would be hazadous for
me to work now.
but yea I am glad the SSDI is there for me.

DC>> Hm that makes me think I live abt 10 miles from an ancient volcano
DC>> they are quite rare in this part of the country. it has comunication
DC>> towers on it now, Mt Ascutney its called.
DC>> I wonder how old it is.

MM> It looks fairly substantial on the maps...
Yea the local FM radio send Rock to mass canada nh and main from the top.

DC>> I could ring ya up with my Skype but i think timeing that
DC>> would take some doing as you live dam close to opposit
DC>> on this globe we call earth.
DC>> im gmt -4 (new york)

MM> Don't have Skype. We're at GMT -13, so we're 9 hours ahead - but
MM> feel free to drop a line to mmaxted [at] attglobal [follstop] net
MM> sometime.
hmm I know you are on the other side of Grenich Mean Time line.
so one of us has the +- sign wrong probably me.
we are more like 17 hours different if i look East

oh boy thats like 3 hours + 1 day. diff from california.

hm i realy dislike the way email works these days. but i will one day give it a
try.

hm
phipps (at) vermontel (dot Wink net or doug@vtdl.net (Spam addy)

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 (X11/20081125)
* Origin: (1:132/500)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 08.01.09 07:25
long distance was Re: Se
G'morning Doug Connor,

MM> Why books ? Sounds like www.gutenburg.org might be your
MM> library...
DC> I guess a legasy use for a library.
DC> I'll check the link tnx.

DC> I have been thinking of a pair of those wireless headphones.

Now I think of it, earphones have been part of my daily life since
the 1930's - and apart from anthing else, responsible for ridding
me of the family sticky-out-ear stigmata...

DC> hey have you heard of the guy there in OZ that spotted a
DC> new storm on jupiter ? He made it to NASA TV. Smile

I recall reading about it a few days ago - the details are fuzzy
now..

DC> Oh my god, naw I'm not that much of a nut. Smile
DC> Yea I get that magazine am an arrl member but not a ham yet anywho.

Do your licencing people still require proficiency in CW ?

MM> because I was calling from tomorrow....
DC> He he yea and an extreem excuse to be late.

Or to double-check that goods had left on time...

DC> Ah yes it is mid summer there and there is snow on my lawn.

Mmmm ... mid-summer hits us hard in February - and our mixed-up
weather gods just wiped out major crops down South with snow and
hail storms !

DC> I gave up the dialup days around 6-7 years ago Smile
DC> I now have adsl2+ its like 720k up and 6m down.

Nice !

I thought I'd share a panorama photo an Australian visitor took
off our balcony at sunrise just before Xmas... but hate clogging
up dail-up accounts.

DC> hey check this out http://vtdl.net/stats my web page stats.
DC> if you do http://vtdl.net/share you get the filegate + fidonet file
DC> echo dists and my shareware files

Not a great net browser, but you tempt me into having a go next
login.

Cheers,

Miles.

+--------------------Miles-Maxted-------------------+
| 116 Sunrise Avenue, North Shore City, New Zealand |
| Ph/Fx/As: ++64-9-478-3138 Mob: ++64-21-296-3891 |

___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.47

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: === Maxie BBS. Ak, NZ +64 9 444-0989 === (3:772/1)

From: Doug Connor (1:132/500)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 08.01.09 21:23
long distance was Re: Se
Miles Maxted -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM> G'morning Doug Connor,

DC>> Oh my god, naw I'm not that much of a nut. Smile
DC>> Yea I get that magazine am an arrl member but not a ham yet anywho.

MM> Do your licencing people still require proficiency in CW ?
No they gave up on that a few years back.
I think you may need it for the higher classes.

MM>> because I was calling from tomorrow....
DC>> He he yea and an extreem excuse to be late.

MM> Or to double-check that goods had left on time...
sure wheres this?

DC>> Ah yes it is mid summer there and there is snow on my lawn.

MM> Mmmm ... mid-summer hits us hard in February - and our mixed-up
MM> weather gods just wiped out major crops down South with snow and
MM> hail storms !
Sorry was me wishing the winter away.

MM> I thought I'd share a panorama photo an Australian visitor took
MM> off our balcony at sunrise just before Xmas... but hate clogging
MM> up dail-up accounts.
That would be cool (err Hot).

DC>> hey check this out http://vtdl.net/stats my web page stats.
DC>> if you do http://vtdl.net/share you get the filegate + fidonet file
DC>> echo dists and my shareware files

MM> Not a great net browser, but you tempt me into having a go next
MM> login.

I am amazed I don't get charged more for useage.

I have been trying to set up a DVD burner (x-mas) of late.
my Linux soft didn't work it right so now Win XP gets a chance.

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (X11/20090105)
* Origin: (1:132/500)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 10.01.09 07:13
long distance was Re: Se
G'morning Doug,

MM>> because I was calling from tomorrow....
DC>> He he yea and an extreem excuse to be late.

MM> Or to double-check that goods had left on time...
DC> sure wheres this?

T'was usually with software or textbooks...

"It's midday Saturday the 10th here in New Zealand - and there's
no sign of the goods ! Could you confirm my dispatch details,
please ?"

"Say where are you ringing from ???"

MM> Mmmm ... mid-summer hits us hard in February - and our mixed-up
MM> weather gods just wiped out major crops down South with snow and
MM> hail storms !
DC> Sorry was me wishing the winter away.

Smile

MM> I thought I'd share a panorama photo an Australian visitor took
MM> off our balcony at sunrise just before Xmas... but hate clogging
MM> up dail-up accounts.
DC> That would be cool (err Hot).

Incoming !

DC> I have been trying to set up a DVD burner (x-mas) of late.
DC> my Linux soft didn't work it right so now Win XP gets a chance.

One of these days some genius will write a universal driver that
will sense its way into new hardware...

There was a guy who wrote a comms program called Banana.com that I
found very useful for getting newbies onto dialup BBSes in the
'90s. The user just copied it into any directory and invoked it,
and it hunted down the modem, initialised it and then rang the set
BBS to establish the link.

Instead of handing out long written instructions with a half-hour
blackboard demo, I set up a standard floppy with batch programme
that did the whole job for the newbie at home.

I wonder what happened to that programmer ? Ah me...

From: Doug Connor (1:132/500)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 10.01.09 11:26
long distance was Re: Se
Miles Maxted -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM> G'morning Doug,

MM>>> because I was calling from tomorrow....
DC>>> He he yea and an extreem excuse to be late.

MM>> Or to double-check that goods had left on time...
DC>> sure wheres this?

MM> T'was usually with software or textbooks...

MM> "It's midday Saturday the 10th here in New Zealand - and there's
MM> no sign of the goods ! Could you confirm my dispatch details,
MM> please ?"

MM> "Say where are you ringing from ???"
Well them californians are the last to get up anyway.Smile

guess you got the early bird spot Smile

MM>> I thought I'd share a panorama photo an Australian visitor took
MM>> off our balcony at sunrise just before Xmas... but hate clogging
MM>> up dail-up accounts.
DC>> That would be cool (err Hot).

MM> Incoming !
got em, two from the top looking at the house wt volcano in bkground?
one in day one at night.
the other of the garden looking down into it.

Looks much warmer there yuk was -2 f last night brr.
looked around and found a thermalmeter with celcious on it abt -16 c.

DC>> I have been trying to set up a DVD burner (x-mas) of late.
DC>> my Linux soft didn't work it right so now Win XP gets a chance.

MM> One of these days some genius will write a universal driver that
MM> will sense its way into new hardware...
yea right!! Everything has a copyright these days.
DVD's even have use zones coded in.

MM> There was a guy who wrote a comms program called Banana.com that I
MM> found very useful for getting newbies onto dialup BBSes in the
MM> '90s. The user just copied it into any directory and invoked it,
MM> and it hunted down the modem, initialised it and then rang the set
MM> BBS to establish the link.
Hmm I think I tryed that one, hey it was good for a newbe.
was too sugar coated for me. I used Cilink it was coded up in
Alaska acording to the credits and reg form.

But yea I made one of those floppys hehe just type a:\install
and all was good:)
Batch files are/were my friends.

MM> Instead of handing out long written instructions with a half-hour
MM> blackboard demo, I set up a standard floppy with batch programme
MM> that did the whole job for the newbie at home.

MM> I wonder what happened to that programmer ? Ah me...

hey likely in a box of floppys somewere there. Smile

Crazy but this comp does not even have a floppy drive in it.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 12.01.09 07:05
long distance was Re: Se
G'morning Doug,

DC> Well them californians are the last to get up anyway.Smile

That'd be the case...

MM> Incoming !
DC> got em, two from the top looking at the house wt volcano in bkground?
DC> one in day one at night.
DC> the other of the garden looking down into it.

DC> Looks much warmer there yuk was -2 f last night brr.
DC> looked around and found a thermalmeter with celcious on it abt -16 c.

Temperatures you can keep to yourself, please... although we're
having troubled keeping our glaciers down south from melting away.

MM> One of these days some genius will write a universal
MM> driver that will sense its way into new hardware...
DC> yea right!!

Smile

DC> But yea I made one of those floppys hehe just type
DC> a:\install and all was good:)
DC> Batch files are/were my friends.

A big affirmative, there...

DC> hey likely in a box of floppys somewere there. Smile
DC> Crazy but this comp does not even have a floppy drive in it.

Seems to be that memory sticks really killed floppies off.

No sign, however, of the pie-warmer HP were going to introduce
once chip speeds got to match microwave frequencies....

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 15.01.09 09:53
long distance was Re: Se
G'morning Doug,

DC> Yes the shrinking glaciers unfortunately seem to be a common thing.

And easily noticed - especially over the last 130 years of
photographic evidence...

DC> So are the oceans going to rise 20 feet and gobble up the
DC> shoreline citys.

Dunno - apparently, our water level here has been falling of late.

DC> with any "luck" we will stop sending co2 to the atmosphere.
DC> hopefully before the frozen methane melts from the oceans.

I suspect we'll frighten ourselves into extinction long before
then; I don't watch much tv, but when I do I see so many 'Don't'
adverts that I swear off seeing any more.

A steady bombardment of don't smoke, speed, eat, drink, breathe,
trepass, pollute, walk, run, think.... sets me up nicely for
another day of Bah Humbuggery !

MM> Seems to be that memory sticks really killed floppies off.
DC> I would vote that it was the cd, cd burner that took the floopys out.

The resistance floppies showed to the zip drives, external hard
drives and the CD revolution really surprised me - they're still
being used for backup and archive purposes, even though your
chances of finding a working floppy drive are steadliy
evaporating.

DC> May be more like gamma ray speeds by then.

Providing for USB Xray devices ? Whoop-de-doo !

Cheers,

Miles.

From: Doug Connor (1:132/500)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 01.05.09 11:33
long distance was Re: Se
Miles Maxted -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM> G'morning Doug,

DC>> Yes the shrinking glaciers unfortunately seem to be a common thing.

MM> And easily noticed - especially over the last 130 years of
MM> photographic evidence...

DC>> So are the oceans going to rise 20 feet and gobble up the
DC>> shoreline citys.

MM> Dunno - apparently, our water level here has been falling of late.
Sorry for the emence gap in posting time.

Yea Im not woried for my house, firmly cemented to the bedrock on the
almost top of this hill 1,500 feet up.

hey the glatures have scraped through here in the past but I
think I have time to live and be planted in the ground before
another one comes through.

DC>> with any "luck" we will stop sending co2 to the atmosphere.
DC>> hopefully before the frozen methane melts from the oceans.

MM> I suspect we'll frighten ourselves into extinction long before
MM> then; I don't watch much tv, but when I do I see so many 'Don't'
MM> adverts that I swear off seeing any more.

MM> A steady bombardment of don't smoke, speed, eat, drink, breathe,
MM> trepass, pollute, walk, run, think.... sets me up nicely for
MM> another day of Bah Humbuggery !
Cool someone else that noticed all the pessimism on tv.
Seems to be a push down to the lowest common denominator. Sad

MM>> Seems to be that memory sticks really killed floppies off.
DC>> I would vote that it was the cd, cd burner that took the floopys out.

MM> The resistance floppies showed to the zip drives, external hard
MM> drives and the CD revolution really surprised me - they're still
MM> being used for backup and archive purposes, even though your
MM> chances of finding a working floppy drive are steadliy
MM> evaporating.

DC>> May be more like gamma ray speeds by then.

MM> Providing for USB Xray devices ? Whoop-de-doo !
hey they will have to stop at a speed of 300,000 kps
unless they figure out how to get past the light speed barrier.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 02.05.09 18:34
long distance was Re: Se
G'evening Doug,

DC> Sorry for the emence gap in posting time.

That's fine ... fidonet's shakiness makes everything else OK.

DC> Yea Im not woried for my house, firmly cemented to the bedrock on the
DC> almost top of this hill 1,500 feet up.

No volcanic activity around you ?

DC> hey the glatures have scraped through here in the past but I
DC> think I have time to live and be planted in the ground before
DC> another one comes through.

Yeah - I often miss the glacier-scraped landscapes of England and
Wales myself; NZ's new-ness saved it from such ravages...

MM> A steady bombardment of don't smoke, speed, eat, drink, breathe,
MM> trepass, pollute, walk, run, think.... sets me up nicely for
MM> another day of Bah Humbuggery !

DC> Cool someone else that noticed all the pessimism on tv.
DC> Seems to be a push down to the lowest common denominator. Sad

You'd think the broadcasters would notice....

Plus the influence of violent and sex-ridden videos on the
headlines created by viewer behaviour....

MM> Providing for USB Xray devices ? Whoop-de-doo !
DC> hey they will have to stop at a speed of 300,000 kps
DC> unless they figure out how to get past the light speed barrier.

Heh, heh ... I derive some gentle fun by tying computer speeds to
microwave frequencies - before noting that manufacturers are
beginning to put pie-warmer doors in PC boxes, so that the chips
can cook as well as compute. You'd be amazed how many people
make a note of such fibs; with luck, that'll lead to some very
puzzled sales staff somewhere.

From: Doug Connor (1:132/500)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 03.05.09 09:52
long distance was Re: Se
Miles Maxted -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM> G'evening Doug,

DC>> Sorry for the emence gap in posting time.

MM> That's fine ... fidonet's shakiness makes everything else OK.

DC>> Yea Im not woried for my house, firmly cemented to the bedrock on the
DC>> almost top of this hill 1,500 feet up.

MM> No volcanic activity around you ?
naw not since the plates stopped creating the mountains around here
I think the aderondaks are prety much stable now.

DC>> hey the glatures have scraped through here in the past but I
DC>> think I have time to live and be planted in the ground before
DC>> another one comes through.

MM> Yeah - I often miss the glacier-scraped landscapes of England and
MM> Wales myself; NZ's new-ness saved it from such ravages...
yea they still have created the paths our roads take.

MM>> A steady bombardment of don't smoke, speed, eat, drink, breathe,
MM>> trepass, pollute, walk, run, think.... sets me up nicely for
MM>> another day of Bah Humbuggery !

DC>> Cool someone else that noticed all the pessimism on tv.
DC>> Seems to be a push down to the lowest common denominator. Sad

MM> You'd think the broadcasters would notice....

MM> Plus the influence of violent and sex-ridden videos on the
MM> headlines created by viewer behaviour....

MM>> Providing for USB Xray devices ? Whoop-de-doo !
DC>> hey they will have to stop at a speed of 300,000 kps
DC>> unless they figure out how to get past the light speed barrier.

MM> Heh, heh ... I derive some gentle fun by tying computer speeds to
MM> microwave frequencies - before noting that manufacturers are
MM> beginning to put pie-warmer doors in PC boxes, so that the chips
MM> can cook as well as compute. You'd be amazed how many people
MM> make a note of such fibs; with luck, that'll lead to some very
MM> puzzled sales staff somewhere.
Ah pie warmers!
I was told those were cup holders Smile