Fidonet Portal

From: Sergey Sokoloff (2:5063/88)
To: All
Date: Tue, 24.07.12 11:08
time/date stamp kludge
And about 10:26 18 Apr 12 it was written from Alexey Vissarionov to Maurice
Kinal:

AV> Obviously, adding new kludge will never hurt. But if you really want to
AV> introduce it, I'd suggest the "YYYYmmddHHMMSS+ZZZZ" format, as it's
AV> easier to parse snd still human-readable.

However, YYYYmmddHHMMSS+ZZZZ is not ideal in terms of human readability.

RFC 3339 (see https://www1.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3339.txt for details) is also easy
to parse, but it is more human-readable.

That is YYYY-mm-dd, then literal 'T' character, then HH:MM:SS, then timezone
(literal 'Z' or +ZZ:ZZ or -ZZ:ZZ). Such as 1990-12-31T23:59:60Z for example.

Having all those delimiters ('-', 'T', ':'Wink improves human readability,
and also helps parsers to catch errors. General plain text parsers (such as
URLScheme in GoldED-NSF, see http://fghi.pp.ru/files/goldedregex.jpg
for details) also can distinguish timestamps from other multi-digital
strings (such as phone numbers) much easier.

With best Fidonet 2.0 regards,
Mithgol the Webmaster.

... 195. I will not use hostages as bait in a trap.
--- Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for a while... .hack//SIGN
* Origin: And the Soviets ?? waist-deep in the snow ?? marched in (2:5063/88)