Fidonet Portal

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.12.08 09:24
Season's Greetings
| * | _ _ __ __ __ _ _ |
| *** | | \/ | |_ |_/ |_/ \_/ |
| ******* | | | |__ | \ | \ _/ |
| ***** | ___ |
| ********* | \ / |\ /| /^\ (___ |
| *********** | /^\ | | / ^ \ ___) |
| ************* | |
| *********** | _____ ___ |
| *************** | | / \ |
| ******************* | | \___/ |
| *** | |
| ____***____ | |
| \ / | /^\ | | |
| \_______/ | / ^ \ |___ |___ |
|_______________________|__________________________|

And to All a Prosperous 2009....

+--------------------Miles-Maxted-------------------+
| 116 Sunrise Avenue, North Shore City, New Zealand |
| Ph/Fx/As: ++64-9-478-3138 Mob: ++64-21-296-3891 |

___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.47

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: === Maxie BBS. Ak, NZ +64 9 444-0989 === (3:772/1)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 29.12.08 07:23
Re: Season's Greetings
MM> I'm split between physics and psychology myself...

Ouch ... that must hurt ...

\%/@rd

--- LIGHTHOUSE-DCD.ORG
* Origin: Many Glacier -o=O=o- Preserve - Protect - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 29.12.08 07:25
Re: Season's Greetings
DC>MM> I'm split between physics and psychology myself - how might those
DC>MM> match up ?

DC> oh my do you believe in creation or evolution,!!
DC> You do not have to answer that.Smile

That's an easyone if a person claims to be a scientist, or look at things from
a mainly science-angle.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 29.12.08 08:18
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Douglas,

DC> Same Back to you.

Thank you - what are you interested in, checking this echo ?

I'm split between physics and psychology myself - how might those
match up ?

Cheers,

Miles.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Tue, 30.12.08 07:08
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Douglas,

DC> Um err I am an arm chair Rocket scientist(ha ha).
DC> I have an interest in astrometry Physics and other new
DC> not run of the mill trains of thought.

Excellent...

DC> he he I wait for my "boinc" client to tell me there
DC> is a cure to MS...
DC> the afliction that keeps me close to a chair at all times
DC> (imbalance)

Hope it turns up soon - I have relatives who have the thing.

MM> I'm split between physics and psychology myself -
DC> oh my do you believe in creation or evolution,!!

The evidence favours evolution ... and the evolutionary cycle
explains a hell of a lot of observable phenomena...

Why do you ask ?

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Tue, 30.12.08 07:12
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Ward,

MM> I'm split between physics and psychology myself...

WD> Ouch ... that must hurt ...

Smile

Comes of being dragged up by a research engineer and confronted
with a load of old pop-psychology as a trainee teacher....

AFAIAC, the scientific method is vital to both general fields of
enquiry....

And both are of interest still...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Wed, 31.12.08 07:24
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Doug,

MM>> I'm split between physics and psychology myself -
DC>> oh my do you believe in creation or evolution,!!

MM> The evidence favours evolution ... and the evolutionary cycle
MM> explains a hell of a lot of observable phenomena...

MM> Why do you ask ?

DC> Alright my knowledge of psychology is very poor I would
DC> have placed it more towards the creation camp ?

The fate of having the name bandied about willy-nilly in every pop
journal and tv proggy....

In practise, psychology pioneers like Darwin, James, Watson and
the like were major contributors to the concept of scientific
method as it finally settled in form in the hands of the Club of
Vienna in the 1920's....

In terms of experimental design, the major role of clinical
psychologists for the last 70 years has been to provide procedural
and statistical services to medical and multi-disciplinary
research projects.

In statistical maths, the early psychometricians developed a
whole set variate and multivariate techniques that then became
employed by every other science.

The body of hard evidential findings made by psychology over the
last 150 years is now being largely validated by the latterday
replications that are now monitored by brains scans and tracking
tools.

At the same time, the name is transforming from plain 'psychology'
to "neuro-science" and the like - in total revulsion at the
pranks of the quacks and psuedo- or pop-"psychologists"....

You might like to get hold of "Mind Hacks" by Stafford and Webb to
see how far psychology is from any association with "creation
science" - and/or to log in to their http://www.mindhacks.com

The journal "American Scientific Mind" and its website are also
quite excellent.

This'll be my last message to this echo in 2008, so all the best
for a Very Happy New Year !

Catch up with you in 2009...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.01.09 03:52
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Doug,

MM> At the same time, the name is transforming from plain 'psychology'
MM> to "neuro-science" and the like - in total revulsion at the
MM> pranks of the quacks and psuedo- or pop-"psychologists"....

DC> ok so it may be the quacks and such that give a bad taste
DC> in the mouth for all of that science.

DC> but haveing a part of my brain removed to alter my attitude
DC> seems a bit harsh.

DC> and gee how about timmothy leary, what a trip.
DC> there have been many drugs made that seem to alter
DC> ones perseption of the world around.
DC> one comes to mind Smile
DC> (Lucy in the sky with diamonds) LSD.

Err... you've got psychiatry instead of psychology there.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors who deal in psychotic patients,
and who used lovely things like ECT (electric shocks across the
head) or PFL (scientifically scraping 10cc of cortex out of your
forehead through a tiny hole in the skull) in trying to manage
persistently unacceptable behaviour.

Psychologists are students of behaviour (all species), a few of
whom get into abnormal behaviour and end up re-training neurotic
people to handle life better. Most psychologists go into jobs
helping to manage people and their tools better... as far away
from the asylums and LSD gurus as you can get.

The awful confusion between psychiatry (and indeed psychoanalysis)
with real psychology is another reason why the title
'neuroscience' has become so popular recently...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.01.09 08:07
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Doug,

MM> Err... you've got psychiatry instead of psychology there.

DC> mm ok but to a run of the mill layman they seem the same.
DC> but I guess the same needed to be done with astrology and astronomy.

Indeedy do - I just set fire to the local newspaper for printing
an article about "sports psychology" and business - t'was all
quackery and mumbo-jumbo...

DC> oh boy another way to name a lobotomy Smile

Or to hide the fact that we really don't know what's going on in
there, BUT we do have all these lovely hammers and chisels....

DC> My own white blood cells seem to be doing a similar thing
DC> to my nerve cells.
DC> hey i went to the local emergency room with a pain that came
DC> from inside my upper leg, I was afraid for a blood clot.
DC> they took blood and examined it.
DC> they came back and told me we can't find anything wrong, it
DC> must be your MS doing bad things.

Please don't hassle the medics - blame it on evolution.

If the human really had been engineered, the mechanics and wiring
would be neat and logical; in fact, many bits are doing different
jobs to their original one - and are working with other bits in
entirely different ways to those zillions of years ago.

Trying to figure out how an evolved mechanism works or can be
managed today demands both scientific method AND huge amounts of
luck.

Little wonder that ordinary humans take refuge in creation myth...

DC> I do have a favorite neuralogist here in the hospital.
DC> He doesnt pusy foot around he tells me like it is and what
DC> i should expect.

That's excellent - there's nothing like best truth to help deal
with evolution's wretched mess-ups.

DC> hey I have two mri's I can look at if i am bored they
DC> have gone from my head to my ass.
DC> there are abt 8 places in my brain (holes) were the myolin
DC> has been removed and several more in my back.
DC> Other than this I am incredibaly healthy for 47 years old.

Ain't much wrong with the old brain, either...

Smile

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.01.09 07:35
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Doug,

MM> Please don't hassle the medics - blame it on evolution.
DC> Yea I think in order to visit there again I would have
DC> to be turning blue from a lack of oxygen.

Who knows what help is on the way ? Finding a way depends on the
serendipidity of science - despite our best efforts, discoveries
and advances do not appear on man-made schedules...

DC> But there does seem to be a kind of master plan at times.

Forget it; take an ordinary fibre-optic cable and seek improved
performance using a computer programme that changes one detail at
random and tests for overall improvement.

Soon, you'll end up with a cable that looks very artistic - and
works 200 or 300% better.

Then ask the engineers to explain how how or why it works, but
don't hold your breath - they are LOST.

The genetic algorithm exists, the results can be found on the
'net.... and it drives engineers mad.

The medics aren't dealing with anything as simple as a piece of
cable, and evolution had been shaping humans for billions of
years....

It's actually amazing how much has been unravelled so far - and
that mostly in the last 150 years.

MM> Ain't much wrong with the old brain, either...
DC> Well except it has slowed and let shit pass by.

"Use it or lose it" is the key message there - read more, get into
programming or chess, learn to juggle or take up table-tennis....
it all builds brain connections as well as muscle, and it all
helps - go for it.

Ark... I sound like one of those sports 'psychologists'.....

Sorry SmileWink

DC> I think I have yacked with you before!!
DC> It was in a zone 3 echo, Barry took those with him when he left.

DC> You are there in a rain forest Kinda in NZ ?

NZ abounds in rain forests - and they contain 1 surviving
dinosaur, a little horned lizard-like dino called the tuatara with
a 200 million year genealogy....

I live on Auckland's North Shore, overlooking the harbour towards
Rangitoto - a 800 year-old volcano. Note your email address
sometime and I'll send you a card.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.01.09 09:28
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Doug,

DC> I seem to have an abundance of time to watch the history or
DC> discovery channels, or scifi chan is good too.

How's your access to a good library ?

DC> I am happy i have a money the gov put away from my 30 years of working
DC> that keeps my monthly bills payed.

Doesn't your Inland Revenue Service have the motto "Taxes pay for
a civilised state" ? It certainly sounds as if they are looking
after you..

MM> The genetic algorithm exists, the results can be found on the
MM> 'net.... and it drives engineers mad.
DC> Ah dam I misplaced my dark matter viewer Smile

SmileWink

DC> Hm that makes me think I live abt 10 miles from an ancient volcano
DC> they are quite rare in this part of the country. it has comunication
DC> towers on it now, Mt Ascutney its called.
DC> I wonder how old it is.

It looks fairly substantial on the maps...

DC> I could ring ya up with my Skype but i think timeing that
DC> would take some doing as you live dam close to opposit
DC> on this globe we call earth.
DC> im gmt -4 (new york)

Don't have Skype. We're at GMT -13, so we're 9 hours ahead - but
feel free to drop a line to mmaxted [at] attglobal [follstop] net
sometime.

From: Doug Connor (1:132/500)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.01.09 14:16
long distance was Re: Season's Greetings
Miles Maxted -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM> G'morning Doug,

DC>> I can adjust the monitor + light to where I can read it so a book
DC>> would be a challenge

MM> Why books ? Sounds like www.gutenburg.org might be your
MM> library...
I guess a legasy use for a library.
I'll check the link tnx.

DC>> hehe a can hear it now the audio tapes of Hawkings theorys or
DC>> einstien. Would drive my wife nuts.

MM> Earphones keeps the missur happy here - I listen to the BBC from
MM> London at all hours here (They might be 13 hours between me, but
MM> their news and views is about 5 years ahead of the local media..Wink
I have been thinking of a pair of those wireless headphones.

hey have you heard of the guy there in OZ that spotted a new storm on jupiter ?
He made it to NASA TV. Smile

DC>> hehe I got an amp and speakers so the neibors can hear too.

MM> In my youth I used to read in QSL about the American hifi freaks
MM> who loaded their roofs and chimneys with giant speakers and played
MM> thunderstorms to their neighbours on sunny days, or passing
MM> trains to nieghbourhoods without a rail system...
Oh my god, naw I'm not that much of a nut. Smile
Yea I get that magazine am an arrl member but not a ham yet anywho.

DC>> we are more like 17 hours different if i look East
DC>> oh boy thats like 3 hours + 1 day. diff from california.

MM> Exactly ... I used to phone US businesses a lot years ago (pre-
MM> internet), and end up telling receptionists that they couldn't get
MM> their people to phone back later, because I was calling from
MM> tomorrow....

He he yea and an extreem excuse to be late.

Ah yes it is mid summer there and there is snow on my lawn.

DC>> phipps (at)....

MM> Do you have broadband or dialup ? Wouldn't want to smother your
MM> connection with a large file if you're dialling up.

I gave up the dialup days around 6-7 years ago Smile
I now have adsl2+ its like 720k up and 6m down.
hey check this out http://vtdl.net/stats my web page stats.
if you do http://vtdl.net/share you get the filegate + fidonet file
echo dists and my shareware files

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 (X11/20081125)
* Origin: (1:132/500)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.01.09 05:53
Re: Season's Greetings
G'morning Doug,

DC> I can adjust the monitor + light to where I can read it so a book
DC> would be a challenge

Why books ? Sounds like www.gutenburg.org might be your
library...

DC> hehe a can hear it now the audio tapes of Hawkings theorys or
DC> einstien. Would drive my wife nuts.

Earphones keeps the missur happy here - I listen to the BBC from
London at all hours here (They might be 13 hours between me, but
their news and views is about 5 years ahead of the local media..Wink

DC> hehe I got an amp and speakers so the neibors can hear too.

In my youth I used to read in QSL about the American hifi freaks
who loaded their roofs and chimneys with giant speakers and played
thunderstorms to their neighbours on sunny days, or passing
trains to nieghbourhoods without a rail system...

DC> but yea I am glad the SSDI is there for me.

Even governments have a good side ... Smile

MM> It looks fairly substantial on the maps...
DC> Yea the local FM radio send Rock to mass canada nh and main from the
DC> top.

I can see how that'd work.