Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Thu, 28.06.12 13:22
a neat little test of utf-8
Good ${greeting_time}, Maurice!

27 Jun 2012 07:24:42, you wrote to me:

AV>> be smart with input, be strict with output.
MK> I am not sure how the CHRS kludge fits into the above but I do know
MK> that you can and do get this stuff right so on your recommendation I
MK> have adjusted it accordingly. Besides it appears the site I dropped
MK> the level part in the first place is somewhat in error with respect
MK> to CP437 so it doesn't seem to matter so may as well break
MK> everything. ;-)

It did, but the fallback to CP866 solved that.

MK> For the record, I noticed on the msged changelog that they are
MK> dropping the level parameter and whatever codepage level 2 is
MK> assumed. Obviously I am not the only one who recognizes bogus
MK> output when I see it. As for input I don't trust what the CHRS
MK> kludge claims with or without the level parameter. How about you?

I normally do. Just to remind: I read (and write) in different languages.

MK> Also while I have your attention, I reported CP866 -> UTF-8
MK> on-the-fly web based conversion and later recalled that it was
MK> actually KOI8-R -> UTF-8 on-the-fly web based conversion. The
MK> only CP866 <-> UTF-8 conversion done here has been netmail
MK> although I think I sent at least one echomail in CP866 in the
MK> LINUX echo which properly displayed (finally!Wink on smekal.ru
MK> Speaking of smekal.ru, what it going on there? Looks to me like
MK> a major overhaul of some sort.

Looks to me like I have no idea of any sort.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... :wq!
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)