Fidonet Portal

From: Roy Witt (1:397/22)
To: All
Date: Mon, 14.04.08 14:59
Positioning
14 Apr 08 15:25, Ward Dossche wrote to All:

WD> The need has arisen in our local scouting group to have some kind of
WD> transmitting devices to be handed-out to individual troups allowing
WD> them to be tracked while "in the field" to know where they are.

WD> Cell phones are a nono with our scouters but if they could carry some
WD> kind of beacon-device it would be a big help. Some time ago for a
WD> while they lost the where-abouts of some youngsters and they're
WD> finally seeing the point of embracing techn logy a bit.

WD> Does anyone have a clue here?

There are such things as 'personal radios' that operate in, at least US's
public radio bands...(no, they're not CB radios) At best, meaning
line-of-sight communications as they're in the UHF bands, range is about 2
miles.

WD> Obviously, it must be a system that can operate in Europe ...
WD> frequencies, power systems, ... the lot.

That would be Michiel's brain you would want to pick.

R\%/itt

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000
* Origin: SATX Alamo Area Net * South * Texas, USA * (1:397/22)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.04.08 11:22
Re: Positioning
Michiel,

Mv> I think this is not the right place to ask. Here you find guys who know
Mv> all about "theories". They can tell you about black holes and the Big
Mv> Bang. when it comes to practical things concerning radio, you will
Mv> probably have more luck in the HAM echo...

I will try there as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

\%/@rd

--- LIGHTHOUSE-DCD.ORG
* Origin: Many Glacier -o=O=o- Preserve - Protect - Conserve (2:292/854)