Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Sun, 24.06.12 23:35
a neat little test o
Good ${greeting_time}, Michiel!

24 Jun 2012 15:33:46, you wrote to Dale Shipp:

JD>>> His message displayed properly on my system. Your quote of it
JD>>> and your attempt at correcting it, are both gibberish here.
DS>> That must be because he is trying to use the wrong code page
DS>> instead of the one that is default on the majority of the
DS>> systems.
MV> If we restrict it to systems in use for reading and writing
MV> Fidonet messages, and if what you have in mind is code page 437,
MV> then you are most likely in error. The majority of systems
MV> default to CP866 or KOI8-R.

CP866, as it works even for very old software.

Obviously, that has nothing to do with computers we use: I can run xterm on a
mostly-UTF8 (locale is the processes' property, not systems'Wink computer, ssh to
mostly-KOI8R one, run golded there and write messages in CP866.

MV> Third and fourth place may be CP850 and LATIN-1.

Second and third, with the wide margin.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... :wq!
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)