Fidonet Portal

From: Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
To: All
Date: Sun, 24.06.12 03:59
a neat little test of utf-8
Hey Joe!

JD> ASCII was around back then and the character set above that was
JD> known as the Extended ASCII character set, even then.

I heard it called that back then too but not everyone followed the same lead as
to what the 8 bit code produced. It was different depending on what OS you
were using at the time. As for a 'winner' to the misleading claim to "Extended
ASCII", ISO-8859-1 seems to have the best claim, if they indeed even claim
that, which I don't believe they do. According to Microsoft CP1252 is the
'winner' but I am not sure they claim the "Extended ASCII" flag despite what
some of the commercial operations are claiming for them.

JD> If you are the only one it works for, then it is absolutely
JD> useless.

If you say so. So far it works really great. The only complaint I have about
the subject at hand are the co-called levels in fts-5003.001. That is a really
lame idea methinks and should be dropped.

Life is good,
Maurice

... Это всё для меня греческий язык.
--- GNU bash, version 4.2.29(2)-release (x86_64-core2-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)