Fidonet Portal

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Tue, 19.06.12 00:40
a neat little test of utf-8
ML> how those messages are displayed is up to your viewer not the site
ML> holding them

MK> I originally posted some of this information in a previous post as
MK> evidence of the currently broken CHRS kludge but it appears that it
MK> bears repetition;

ok... but...

MK> This message contains "CHRS: UTF-8 4";

MK> http://fghi.pp.ru/?area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:261/38.9+fa000042

this uses a web browser to view the messages as they are stored on that site...

MK> whereas this one is reduced to "CHRS: UTF-8";

MK> http://fghi.pp.ru/?area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:261/38.9+fa00006b

see above...

using a web browser to view FTN messages is... ummm... not FTN... (or netnews
format, FWTW)... many of the complaints you've gotten are from those using true
FTN software and that which has been in use in fidonet for decades... try using
a FTN message reader or at least a nntp netnews reader on sites that offer
such... the world is a lot different there...

MK> Do you see any difference in your viewer?

see above re: "cheating" by using a web browser instead of a FTN (or nntp news
reader)...

MK> If you want further evidence please ask and I will be happy to
MK> prove the point I originally made with respect to fts-5003.001.

i know about this standard... i also can see that apples and oranges are being
mixed here Confused

)\/(ark

* Origin: (1:3634/12)