Fidonet Portal

From: MATT MUNSON (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.09.21 19:06
Windows 11
Windows 11 kills the fun with its install requirements. I most likely will need
to pay someone 100 bucks to toggle my partitions so Windows 11 could be used.

... Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about

* Origin: Inland Utopia Mail Center (1:218/109)

From: Daryl Stout (1:2320/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.09.21 11:12
Re: Windows 11
Matt,

MM> Windows 11 kills the fun with its install requirements. I most likely
MM> will need to pay someone 100 bucks to toggle my partitions so Windows
MM> 11 could be used.

Windows 11 also eliminates 32-bit support. I can NOT see discarding
perfectly good working hardware and software, just to satisfy Microsoft
and their greedy bottom line. In short "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

What was my late Mom's computer, has Windows 10 32-bit on it, and that's
what the BBS is on. I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 64-bit...and
while the Lenovo will upgrade to Windows 11, the BBS computer will not.

Daryl

... Windows 64-bit Virus: Renders all 16-bit programs useless.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.09.21 01:32
Re: Windows 11
-=> On 09-01-21 19:06, Matt Munson <=-
-=> spoke to All about Windows 11 <=-

MM> Windows 11 kills the fun with its install requirements. I
MM> most likely will need to pay someone 100 bucks to toggle my
MM> partitions so Windows 11 could be used.

I'm curious. Why would you need to change your existing partitions?

I am fairly ignorant about Win11. Is it more than window dressing [pun
intended]? Or does it have functional improvements? Are there programs
that can tell you what programs might be effected?

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 01:34:26, 03 Sep 2021
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30
--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: MATT MUNSON (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.09.21 21:03
Re: Windows 11
DS> Windows 11 also eliminates 32-bit support. I can NOT see discarding
DS> perfectly good working hardware and software, just to satisfy Microsoft
DS> and their greedy bottom line. In short "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I bought a windows 10 32-bit licence to run bbs doors on my bbs. But I am
thinking I might need to do possibly is run a door games server on os/2 even if
i run under mac or windows in the 64 bit context.
DS> What was my late Mom's computer, has Windows 10 32-bit on it, and
DS> that's what the BBS is on. I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10
DS> 64-bit...and while the Lenovo will upgrade to Windows 11, the BBS
DS> computer will not.

My computer is also used to play Final Fantasy 14. I have 32gb of ram so i can
run my virtual computer and play the game at the same time, but gamer graphics
cards are riddiculously priced. I'll just enjoy my PS5 instead.

... There is an exception to every rule, except this one.

* Origin: Inland Utopia BBS (1:218/109)

From: MATT MUNSON (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.09.21 19:11
Re: Windows 11
-=> Dale Shipp wrote to MATT MUNSON <=-

-=> On 09-01-21 19:06, Matt Munson <=-
-=> spoke to All about Windows 11 <=-

MM> Windows 11 kills the fun with its install requirements. I
MM> most likely will need to pay someone 100 bucks to toggle my
MM> partitions so Windows 11 could be used.

DS> I'm curious. Why would you need to change your existing partitions?
It needs to be in the modern boot record format, i used the older format.

DS> I am fairly ignorant about Win11. Is it more than window dressing [pun
DS> intended]? Or does it have functional improvements? Are there
DS> programs that can tell you what programs might be effected?

More likely security issues.

___ MultiMail/Win v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/08/19 (Windows/32)
* Origin: Inland Utopia BBS (1:218/109)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.09.21 07:54
Re: Windows 11
-=> Daryl Stout wrote to MATT MUNSON <=-

DS> Windows 11 also eliminates 32-bit support. I can NOT see discarding
DS> perfectly good working hardware and software, just to satisfy Microsoft
DS> and their greedy bottom line. In short "if it ain't broke, don't fix
DS> it".

That's a shame; I've been running Windows 10 32-bit on the BBS for some time
to keep my old DOS apps running. There's nothing I've read that says you
need to upgrade 10 to 11, 10 is supported through 2025 and should be
sufficient through then. By 2025, the hardware my BBS is running on will be
18 years old!

... Take away the elements in order of apparent non-importance
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Daryl Stout (1:2320/33)
To: All
Date: Sat, 04.09.21 18:50
Re: Windows 11
Kurt,

KW> That's a shame; I've been running Windows 10 32-bit on the BBS for some
KW> time to keep my old DOS apps running. There's nothing I've read that
KW> says you need to upgrade 10 to 11, 10 is supported through 2025 and
KW> should be sufficient through then. By 2025, the hardware my BBS is
KW> running on will be 18 years old!

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't see discarding perfectly good
working hardware and software, just to satisfy Microsoft's bottom line.

My Lenovo laptop, that has Windows 10 64-bit, will take the upgrade to
Windows 11. However, the desktop computer (which was my late Mom's desktop
computer), now has the BBS computer, and it has Windows 10 32-bit.

Daryl

... I didn't crash; the ground came up, and hit me.

From: MATT MUNSON (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Sun, 05.09.21 13:19
Re: Windows 11
DS> I'm in the same boat as you. I can't see discarding perfectly good
DS> working hardware and software, just to satisfy Microsoft's bottom line.

My Ryzen 7 1700 can use windows 11, I might have to pay someone to configure my
hd so it would be UEFI friendly. But I will likely use my win 10 vm licence for
the older software.

... Back up my hard drive? I can't find the reverse switch!

* Origin: Inland Utopia BBS (1:218/109)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: All
Date: Sun, 05.09.21 08:55
Re: Windows 11
-=> August Abolins wrote to Kurt Weiske <=-

AA> And.. if you're just running a bbs and old DOS apps, why would
AA> "supported through 2025" even matter? Lack of win10 support
AA> shouldn't affect your bbs, right?

More concerned about security patches for the OS than compatibility with my
apps and the OS - as long as it runs the BBS.

I have a Proxmox server with support for LXC and Linux VMs, a VM running
Kubernetes, a Raspberry Pi and a VPS. I should be able to find a non-windows
host somewhere in that mix when I choose to move. Smile

... Work at a different speed

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: All
Date: Wed, 08.09.21 06:46
Re: Windows 11
-=> August Abolins wrote to Kurt Weiske <=-

AA>> And.. if you're just running a bbs and old DOS apps, why
AA>> would "supported through 2025" even matter? Lack of
AA>> win10 support shouldn't affect your bbs, right?

KW> More concerned about security patches for the OS than
KW> compatibility with my apps and the OS - as long as it runs
KW> the BBS.

AA> I suppose if you're also using the Win10 machine for the BBS as
AA> well as for internet-things then the security patches migh
AA> matter.

My BBS is connected to the internet but all open ports run through the
Synchronet app. As long as it's safe, I should be safe.

KW> I have a Proxmox server with support for LXC and Linux
KW> VMs, a VM running Kubernetes, a Raspberry Pi and a VPS. I
KW> should be able to find a non-windows host somewhere in
KW> that mix when I choose to move. Smile

AA> Kubernetes intrigues me. I'd love to see how it's actually
AA> used. Just reading about it gives me a headache. I don't
AA> understand how it works or why it is needed.

It's a way to run a virtual app instead of having to run a whole virtual OS
to run an app.

... Abandon desire