Fidonet Portal

From: Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
To: All
Date: Sat, 28.04.12 05:05
blowing in the wind
Hey Michiel!

MV> You can't be serious! How long have you been in Fidonet?

Off and on for the past 20 years but at least 10 years doing the pointy thing.
I could call upon two nodelisted nodes that will back my statement up about
doing it raw (ie no zip). As far as compression goes with respect to transport
I am in favour of it except have yet to see a Fidonet node that can handle
purely compressed pkt's. zip never, ever counted. If I want archiving then
tar wins but I really don't see a need for archiving msg's for transport and
refuse to deploy DOS-think software on my puritan Unixie boxes. I *could* but
I don't. Another very good reason I don't have a nodelisted ftn address.

MV> http://www.vlist.eu/pleaforutf8-1.txt
MV> http://www.vlist.eu/pleaforutf8-2.txt

Excellent! Do you want to see them reformatted properly so that they word wrap
correctly dependent on display dimensions? Can you handle gzip compressed
files directly? Just gzipping them without reformat yeilds;

pleaforutf8-1.txt: 56.9% -- replaced with pleaforutf8-1.txt.gz
pleaforutf8-2.txt: 57.4% -- replaced with pleaforutf8-2.txt.gz

That dramatically cuts down the bandwidth.

MV> That is not a matter for the FTSC.

Understood. The utf-8 msg format could though. As we speak it deploys a rfc
3339 datetime stamp which effectively replaces the current obsoleted 2 digit
year as well as makes the TZUTC kludge redundant. Also we have a pkt header in
the works with absolutely zero binary data. So far it has proved itself as a
suitable transport pkt. It also lends itself well to pure compression. No
stinkin' zip required.

MV> UTF-8 and the Fidonet transport layer is covered in FTS-5003.

Check this reply's kludges. I think I am one of the few - as well as being
first - to put it into action. I am WAY ahead of the game, including current
ftn compliancy. I can call up at least one nodelisted witness to back up this
statement who flies a zone 2 ftn address. I have had it covered before there
was anything to cover but now that others are recognizing that they can
successfully replicate it, I am no longer alone in exploring new pkt
possibilities that a utf-8 messaging scheme offers. Personally all I ever
wanted was a decent offline messaging scheme and obviously am prepared to jump
through hoops to make it a reality. ;-)

Nice article now let's see you put it into action.

Life is good,
Maurice

... A Møøse once bit my sister ...
--- GNU bash, version 4.2.24(3)-release (x86_64-core2-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)