Fidonet Portal

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 02:09
Arca (??) support
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

I just received a message from Arca Noae today noting that they have finall=
y 'fixed' their defective JFS Driver. I just found my original GG posting =
from June 2019 detailing my Arca JFS problems. For the last several years,=
in order to restore or backup, I need to first install legacy eCS on anoth=
er partition, as eCS had no problems. This is solely an Arca issue. The o=
nly people who can use the fix are Arca costumers who bought and installed =
a defective Arca product. Now, over 18 months later, Arca states they have=
a fix available. HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new sub=
scription to get a fix for something Arca broke (twice) and is critical to =
system functionality. The fix actually should be freely distributed, and o=
n Hobbes. Maybe somebody could explain to me what is the goal of the Arca =
Noae business model?

thanks,
Baden
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Thorolf (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 10.01.21 17:06
Re: Arca (??) support
From: Thorolf <thorolf@individual-de.local>

baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com schrieb:
> HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subscription to get a
fix for something Arca broke

I would assume, that the updated driver will be available for
ArcaOS-Users with valid subscription too. Just as update.

Anyway, I assume that this is related only to the bootable JFS. There is
no need and no reason to use JFS on the boot-drive, I personally would
never do so.

HPFS is reliable, stable and fast enough for a small boot-partition,
everything else can be placed on a standard, (more or less) stable
JFS-partition.

--

Gruesse,

Thorolf
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: robert wolfe (1:116/18)
To: All
Date: Mon, 11.01.21 16:12
Re: Arca (??) support
On 10 Jan 2021, Thorolf said the following...

Th> Anyway, I assume that this is related only to the bootable JFS. There is
Th> no need and no reason to use JFS on the boot-drive, I personally would
Th> never do so.

Just keep in mind that for larger boot drives, HPFS will not work, IIRC,
therefore one has no choice my to use JFS. I always use JFS because I always
use one drive for my ArcaOS VMs without a hitch.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/01/05 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Omicron Theta * Horn Lake MS * linux.winserver.org (1:116/18)

From: Doug Bissett (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 11.01.21 22:59
Re: Arca (??) support
From: "Doug Bissett" <dougb007!SPAM@telus.net>

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:09:49 UTC, "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com"
<baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just received a message from Arca Noae today noting that they have finally
'fixed' their defective JFS Driver. I just found my original GG posting from
June 2019 detailing my Arca JFS problems. For the last several years, in order
to restore or backup, I need to first install legacy eCS on another partition,
as eCS had no problems. This is solely an Arca issue. The only people who can
use the fix are Arca costumers who bought and installed a defective Arca
product. Now, over 18 months later, Arca states they have a fix available.
HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subscription to get a fix
for something Arca broke (twice) and is critical to system functionality. The
fix actually should be freely distributed, and on Hobbes. Maybe somebody could
explain to me what is the goal of the Arca Noae business model?

> thanks,
> Baden

First, JFS has always been broken, from day one. The main prolem, that
was fixed, was a very rare failure. They did add another fix for JFS
boot support, simply because they have it.

If you need to install eCS, to restore, or backup, you have a
different problem, and it is unlikely to have anything, at all, to do
with the Arca Noae version of JFS.

Yes, you do need a subscription to get it. Arca Noae needs income to
stay in business. They are not a bottomless pit like IBM was. If we
lose Arca Noae, we lose OS/2. It is that simple. Support them, or OS/2
is stuck where it is, unless somebody else is willing to do a LOT of
work.

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
dougb007 at telus dot net

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Doug Bissett (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 11.01.21 22:59
Re: Arca (??) support
From: "Doug Bissett" <dougb007!SPAM@telus.net>

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:12:05 UTC, "Robert Wolfe"
<@p0.f18.n116.z1[ASC46]fidonet[.]org> wrote:

> + User FidoNet address: 1:116/18
> On 10 Jan 2021, Thorolf said the following...
>
> Th> Anyway, I assume that this is related only to the bootable JFS. There is

> Th> no need and no reason to use JFS on the boot-drive, I personally would
> Th> never do so.
>
> Just keep in mind that for larger boot drives, HPFS will not work, IIRC,
> therefore one has no choice my to use JFS. I always use JFS because I always
> use one drive for my ArcaOS VMs without a hitch.

There are a couple of good reasons to use a JFS boot volume. One is
that JFS uses far less lower shared memory space (always in short
supply in OS/2) than HPFS does. Second, if you end up needing a CHKDSK
at boot time, HPFS takes much longer than JFS does, and it is very
rare to have it actually "fix" anything with JFS. There are more
reasons, but those are the main ones.

Personally, I would NEVER even consider using HPFS for a boot volume
any more. I also use small (2 to 3 GB) boot volumes, whether in VMs,
or not.

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
dougb007 at telus dot net

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 14.01.21 09:01
Re: Arca (??) support
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

Hi Doug:

If the problem only occurs on an ArcaOS JFS drive, I would be interested t=
o know what could be causing it, besides the ArcaOS file system? Their on=
e patch descriptor sounds awfully close.

Imagine if they were to openly distribute that fix. It might even a long w=
ay to getting some more subscriptions from me, which they have done their u=
tmost to dissuade.

thanks,
Baden

On Monday, 11 January 2021 at 22:59:37 UTC-6, Doug Bissett wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:09:49 UTC, "baden.ku...@gmail.com"
> <baden.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just received a message from Arca Noae today noting that they have fi=
nally 'fixed' their defective JFS Driver. I just found my original GG posti=
ng from June 2019 detailing my Arca JFS problems. For the last several year=
s, in order to restore or backup, I need to first install legacy eCS on ano=
ther partition, as eCS had no problems. This is solely an Arca issue. The o=
nly people who can use the fix are Arca costumers who bought and installed =
a defective Arca product. Now, over 18 months later, Arca states they have =
a fix available. HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subsc=
ription to get a fix for something Arca broke (twice) and is critical to sy=
stem functionality. The fix actually should be freely distributed, and on H=
obbes. Maybe somebody could explain to me what is the goal of the Arca Noae=
business model?

> > thanks,
> > Baden
> First, JFS has always been broken, from day one. The main prolem, that
> was fixed, was a very rare failure. They did add another fix for JFS
> boot support, simply because they have it.
>
> If you need to install eCS, to restore, or backup, you have a
> different problem, and it is unlikely to have anything, at all, to do
> with the Arca Noae version of JFS.
>
> Yes, you do need a subscription to get it. Arca Noae needs income to
> stay in business. They are not a bottomless pit like IBM was. If we
> lose Arca Noae, we lose OS/2. It is that simple. Support them, or OS/2
> is stuck where it is, unless somebody else is willing to do a LOT of
> work.
>
> --
> From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
> dougb007 at telus dot net
> (Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Doug Bissett (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 15.01.21 16:04
Re: Arca (??) support
From: "Doug Bissett" <dougb007!SPAM@telus.net>

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:01:28 UTC, "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com"
<baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Doug:
>
> If the problem only occurs on an ArcaOS JFS drive, I would be interested to
know what could be causing it, besides the ArcaOS file system? Their one
patch descriptor sounds awfully close.

There are more problems in JFS, some dating back to when Open JFS was
first introduced (as the one that got fixed was). Whether one of them
is causing your problem, I don't know. It is highly unlikely that the
latest fix is causing your problem. It is a very rare failure, and not
really repeatable. You could also have a code page incompatibility, or
other things. The bottom line is that if eCS works, so will ArcaOS.

Have you analyzed the problem with DFSEE? Another package that is well
worth every penny that it costs.

> Imagine if they were to openly distribute that fix. It might even a long way
to getting some more subscriptions from me, which they have done their utmost
to dissuade.

It is available. Just pay for the priviledge of getting it. They
distribute it to subscription holders. A subscription (whether for
ArcaOS, or earlier versions of OS/2), is more than worth the cost.
They are also cheaper if you stay current.

AFAIK, the source is available (or will be), wherever the Open JFS
source is kept. Build your own. If you want support, and a ready to
install package, pay for it. It comes with a whole lot of other
things.

> thanks,
> Baden
>

> On Monday, 11 January 2021 at 22:59:37 UTC-6, Doug Bissett wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:09:49 UTC, "baden.ku...@gmail.com"
> > <baden.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I just received a message from Arca Noae today noting that they have
finally 'fixed' their defective JFS Driver. I just found my original GG posting
from June 2019 detailing my Arca JFS problems. For the last several years, in
order to restore or backup, I need to first install legacy eCS on another
partition, as eCS had no problems. This is solely an Arca issue. The only
people who can use the fix are Arca costumers who bought and installed a
defective Arca product. Now, over 18 months later, Arca states they have a fix
available. HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subscription to
get a fix for something Arca broke (twice) and is critical to system
functionality. The fix actually should be freely distributed, and on Hobbes.
Maybe somebody could explain to me what is the goal of the Arca Noae business
model?

> > > thanks,
> > > Baden
> > First, JFS has always been broken, from day one. The main prolem, that
> > was fixed, was a very rare failure. They did add another fix for JFS
> > boot support, simply because they have it.
> >
> > If you need to install eCS, to restore, or backup, you have a
> > different problem, and it is unlikely to have anything, at all, to do
> > with the Arca Noae version of JFS.
> >
> > Yes, you do need a subscription to get it. Arca Noae needs income to
> > stay in business. They are not a bottomless pit like IBM was. If we
> > lose Arca Noae, we lose OS/2. It is that simple. Support them, or OS/2
> > is stuck where it is, unless somebody else is willing to do a LOT of
> > work.
> >
> > --
> > From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
> > dougb007 at telus dot net
> > (Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
dougb007 at telus dot net

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Wed, 24.03.21 09:49
Re: Arca (??) support
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

Okay, I *finally* found what caused the traps. I was just reading on os2world
how OS2AHCI.ADD is a replacement for the *506* drivers, which I never knew. I
looked in my CONFIG.SYS, which had:

BASEDEV=OS2AHCI.ADD
BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT

I subsequently removed the AHCI driver, and all worked well. I then
reinstated it, and removed the DANI drivers, and all worked well. So, with a
large (JFS) partition, and both drivers active, the system can trap.

Can someone let Arca know about this?

On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 16:04:29 UTC-6, Doug Bissett wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:01:28 UTC, "baden.ku...@gmail.com"

> Have you analyzed the problem with DFSEE? Another package that is well
> worth every penny that it costs.

I fail to understand how DFSEE would contribute.

> > > lose Arca Noae, we lose OS/2. It is that simple. Support them, or OS/2
> > > is stuck where it is, unless somebody else is willing to do a LOT of
> > > work.

I do not see Arca understanding what is required to remain viable. A
functional web browser, wifi, and product support should be top priorities.

thanks,
Baden
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2