Fidonet Portal

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Tue, 18.03.08 23:08
here's one for ya...
-> ok... the shuttle pulls up to the ISS, makes its "gainer" backflip
-> for photo shots of the belly, and then comes up in front of the
-> station to dock... in effect, the shuttle rises into the station
-> since it is belly forward to the direction of travel...

-> now, when one is watching NASA TV, the photos of the group's
-> passage over the earth show the ground travel to be away from the
-> belly of the shuttle instead of toward it as it was when the shuttle
-> docked with the station...

-> so... the question(s), how does this happen? do they pancake spin
-> the station after the shuttle has docked so the station is "pulling"
-> it instead of "pushing" it? if so, why? surely the belly of the
-> shuttle is much more protected than the open cargo bay?

DW> Surely the ISS doesn't rotate once every orbital revolution.

i wasn't (trying) to imply that, actually...

DW> If it did so, a lot of the "microgravity" experiments would get
DW> messed up. So the station's orientation is fixed in space, and as
DW> it goes around the earth, as seen from the station, the earth
DW> appears to go around it, sometimes moving "forward" and sometimes
DW> "backward".

hummm... so the theory is that the station's belly is toward the earth at times
and then when it is on the opposite side of the earth, the top of the station
is toward the earth? in between, one end or the other is toward the earth??

DW> Protection has nothing to do with it.

actually, i suspect that that and cooling issues of the shuttle do come into
play... but i figured i'd drop a line in here and see what others thought...

FWIW: we've discussed your theory as well as the other one in which the
station's belly always points to the earth... in this scenario, the only way
that the shuttle would go from being "pushed" to being "pulled" would require
at least one 180 pancake spin... then another when they undock, if i recall
correctly that they leave the station being "pushed" like they were when they
docked...

)\/(ark

* Origin: (1:3634/12)