Fidonet Portal

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: All
Date: Tue, 11.03.08 21:18
Echo check.
* Original message posted in: SCIENCE.
* Crossposted in: SCOUTER, SEARCHLIGHT, SEMWARE.
Hello All.

Is this still a linked Echo?

Best regards,
Marc

... FidoNet -- When you just can't stand the internet spam anymore!
--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Meridian, MS-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)

From: T.J. Mcmillen (1:129/42)
To: All
Date: Tue, 11.03.08 23:58
Re: Echo check.
ML> Is this still a linked Echo?

I suppose.

--- Renegade v01-28.8/Alpha
* Origin: The Phantom BBS - phantom.darktech.org (1:129/42)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Wed, 12.03.08 16:42
Re: Echo check.
ML> Is this still a linked Echo?

A shortage of credible scientists I suppose ... Or everybody is waiting until I
make a contribution ... ;-)

\%/@rd

--- LIGHTHOUSE-DCD.ORG
* Origin: Many Glacier -o=O=o- Preserve - Protect - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 13.03.08 07:12
Re: Echo check.
G'morning Ward,

ML> Is this still a linked Echo?
WD> A shortage of credible scientists I suppose ... Or
WD> everybody is waiting until I make a contribution ... ;-)

Exactly ...

Anybody got any decent updates on mirror neurons ? I'm becoming
convinced that these may be the key to much of human behaviour...

Miles

+--------------------Miles-Maxted-------------------+
| 116 Sunrise Avenue, North Shore City, New Zealand |
| Ph/Fx/As: ++64-9-478-3138 Mob: ++64-21-296-3891 |

___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.47

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: === Maxie BBS. Ak, NZ +64 9 444-0989 === (3:772/1)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Thu, 13.03.08 15:35
Re: Echo check.
MM>WD> A shortage of credible scientists I suppose ... Or
MM>WD> everybody is waiting until I make a contribution ... ;-)

MM> Exactly ...

MM> Anybody got any decent updates on mirror neurons ? I'm becoming
MM> convinced that these may be the key to much of human behaviour...

My 2 daughters in the morning between them take exactly 1hr30 in the bathroom,
most of that time spent in front of a mirror performing a strange kind of
ritual.

Is that what you mean?

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 14.03.08 07:12
Re: Echo check.
G'morning Ward,

MM> Anybody got any decent updates on mirror neurons ? I'm becoming
MM> convinced that these may be the key to much of human behaviour...

WD> My 2 daughters in the morning between them take exactly
WD> 1hr30 in the bathroom, most of that time spent in front of
WD> a mirror performing a strange kind of ritual.

A recent NZ Prime Minister apologised to a meeting for the absence
of an opponent, claiming that his journey to the meeting had been
interupted by a mirror - perhaps the same sort of mirror
neurosis as might sponsor your offspring's rituals... Smile

The mirror neurons I'm interested in fire when I comb my hair, and
when I see someone else comb their hair. They seem to provide a
physical basis for imitative learning and for empathetic
behaviour, and have only been identified in animals and humans
over the last 5 years.

Every new study of them seems to bring new understanding of
education and learning, fascinating me with the potential for new
techniques in instruction and teaching...

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: All
Date: Fri, 14.03.08 07:34
Re: Echo check.
Greetings, Ward.

ML> Is this still a linked Echo?
WD>
WD> A shortage of credible scientists I suppose ... Or
WD> everybody is waiting until I make a contribution ... ;-

Actually, it may be due to a lack of anything credible these days.

Thanks for the reply!

Best regards,
Marc
telnet://bbs.sursum-corda.com. >Celebrating 12 years on line!

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Sat, 15.03.08 22:36
Re: Echo check.
-> Actually, it may be due to a lack of anything credible these days.

Here's something that mystifies me. We've had a lot of snow here of
late. Sometimes, aircraft can be heard flying above, or maybe through,
the snow clouds. When this happens, the sound of the engines gets
altered, something like the "phasing" effect that pop musicians used to
like to use. The direction from which the sound comes also seems to be
highly variable, sometimes shifting dramatically very fast. The overall
effect suggests that sound is getting bounced around somehow.

But how? And in what way are snow clouds able to do this but not
regular clouds?

dow
* Origin: The Bayman BBS,Toronto, (416)698-6573 - 1:250/514 (1:250/514)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.03.08 22:12
Re: Echo check.
Greets!

You were saying...

DW> Here's something that mystifies me. We've had a lot of snow here of
DW> late. Sometimes, aircraft can be heard flying above, or maybe through,
DW> the snow clouds. When this happens, the sound of the engines gets
DW> altered, something like the "phasing" effect that pop musicians used to
DW> like to use. The direction from which the sound comes also seems to be
DW> highly variable, sometimes shifting dramatically very fast. The overall
DW> effect suggests that sound is getting bounced around somehow.
DW>
DW> But how? And in what way are snow clouds able to do this but not
DW> regular clouds?

What I believe you are hearing is essentially an acoustically generated comb
filter. Sound waves traversing the clouds encounter several dramatic
temperature gradients. These are randomly placed of course, due to the
ever-shifting nature of the clouds. The nature of the engine noise is
basically pink noise. As the wavefronts of the pink noise traverse these
thermal shifts they are delayed by a very few milliseconds (or possibly several
hundred microseconds.Wink As these delayed wavefronts meet randomly and
"recombine", the result is the "phasing" (or more likely "phlanging"Wink effect
you hear. I suspect that the snow clouds exhibit more drastic temperature
gradients than others.

Make sense? Or am I off in left field somewhere?

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Tue, 18.03.08 10:46
Re: Echo check.
-> What I believe you are hearing is essentially an acoustically generated comb

-> filter. Sound waves traversing the clouds encounter several dramatic
-> temperature gradients. These are randomly placed of course, due to the
-> ever-shifting nature of the clouds. The nature of the engine noise is
-> basically pink noise. As the wavefronts of the pink noise traverse these
-> thermal shifts they are delayed by a very few milliseconds (or possibly seve

-> hundred microseconds.Wink As these delayed wavefronts meet randomly and
-> "recombine", the result is the "phasing" (or more likely "phlanging"Wink effect

-> you hear. I suspect that the snow clouds exhibit more drastic temperature
-> gradients than others.

-> Make sense? Or am I off in left field somewhere?

Makes sense, but I'm surprised that the temperature gradients are
*that* much greater in snow clouds than others. I've never heard
anything similar in thunder-clouds in summertime, for example.

From: Robert Wolfe (1:261/20)
To: All
Date: Sun, 30.03.08 15:24
RE: Echo check.
On Mar 30, 2008 11:53am, Earl Truss wrote to Marc Lewis:

ML>> .. FidoNet -- When you just can't stand the internet spam anymore!
ML>> --- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
ML>> * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Meridian, MS-bbs.sursum-corda.com
ML>> (1:396/45)

ET> I think I used to use your BBS at one time but lost contact around the
ET> time of Katrina. Were you affected by that?

IIRC, he was, and that is why he moved to my home town of Meridian, MS. Marc,
please correct me if I am wrong.

... Platinum Xpress & Wildcat!..... Nice!!!!
* Origin: Omicron Theta (1:261/20)