Fidonet Portal

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.07.21 18:56
Limits/length of fields (safeguarding in theme)
Hello g00r00!

What are the current limits in Mystic for the number of message groups, number
of message areas, number of messages in a (JAM) message base (either local or
networked), number of file groups, number of file areas and the maximum size of
a file in bytes?

From what I have been able to see from records.112 and some fields in the
Mystic configuration, I'm guessing at 65535 message/file groups (5 digits),
999999 messages (6 digits) per area, and a maximum file size of 4,294,967,295
bytes (13 characters including commas)?

I've taken some time to try to (if necessary) auto-truncate numbers in my theme
to avoid overflows here and there...

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/28 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (2:201/137)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.07.21 15:50
Re: Limits/length of fields (safeguarding in theme)
BW> What are the current limits in Mystic for the number of message groups,
BW> number of message areas, number of messages in a (JAM) message base
BW> (either local or networked), number of file groups, number of file areas
BW> and the maximum size of a file in bytes?

About 65000 general groups, 65000 file groups, 2 billion message areas, and 2
billion file areas would be where it starts to max out.

JAM bases are limited by the filesize of the datafiles which is 4 gigabytes on
data per base. I think when I calculated that out at some point it was about a
maximum of 1 million messages per base. But in reality it should be less given
the amount of data stored will be a factor in how many messages you can have.

I have a JAM64 extension which removes that limintation but it would break
compatibility with third party utilities so I've never bothered. In 26 years
only one person ever hit the limit and that was someone who was trying to
mirror data-based UseNet newsgroups in JAM for some reason.

... If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good. -Bill Gates.

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Sat, 31.07.21 10:22
Re: Limits/length of fields (safeguarding in theme)
Hello g00r00!

Thank you for your reply!

On 30 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...
g0> About 65000 general groups, 65000 file groups, 2 billion message areas,
g0> and 2 billion file areas would be where it starts to max out.

Very Happy

Sounds great -- my 6-digit message numbers and 5-digit groups/areas sound
reasonable then.

(I was adding some space for this when modifying some prompts.Wink

g0> In 26 years only one person ever hit the limit and that was someone who
g0> was trying to mirror data-based UseNet newsgroups in JAM for some
g0> reason.

Ah, yes, that's a challenge. Very Happy

Best regards

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/30 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (2:201/137)