Fidonet Portal

From: Shane O'Neill (1:267/157)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 02:04
Re: PETSCII Support
g00r00,

Thought I would go out on a limb here and ask is there any possibility you
would be able to add PETSCII support in Mystic? Synchronet is doing it with
the users connecting to port 128 or 64 and it does a decent job of
translating all the text and ANSI to Commodore PETSCII. Being a Mystic BBS
myself thought I would ask if that is something that could be added to Mystic?

Would be cool to have a Commodore computer connected to Mystic and play an MPL
door game or interacting on message echos!!!
* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 10:37
Re: PETSCII Support
SO> Thought I would go out on a limb here and ask is there any possibility
SO> you would be able to add PETSCII support in Mystic? Synchronet is doing
SO> it with the users connecting to port 128 or 64 and it does a decent job
SO> of translating all the text and ANSI to Commodore PETSCII. Being a

Sure I'd be willing to look into it although it might end up being an Alpha 48
feature since I am pretty close to releasing A47 I think. Things have been
mostly stable so I want to get a release out officially before I start making
bigger changes again.

The biggest hurdle is probably that I don't have a Commodore or know too much
about PETSCII. Its just something I never look into before as I don't think
anyone has asked in the past. I would want a reliable way to test (maybe an
emulator could be used since I don't have the hardware?Wink and one or two people
who can test it as well to help provide some feedback.

... When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Shane O'Neill (1:305/3)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 10:40
Re: PETSCII Support
On 28 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...

g0> Sure I'd be willing to look into it although it might end up being an
g0> Alpha 48 feature since I am pretty close to releasing A47 I think.
g0> Things have been mostly stable so I want to get a release out officially

WOW This is really exciting!!! Thanks for looking into this!!

g0> The biggest hurdle is probably that I don't have a Commodore or know too
g0> much about PETSCII. Its just something I never look into before as I
g0> don't think anyone has asked in the past. I would want a reliable way

Emulation would work, but I dare suggest (cringing): You can use Syncterm
which has PETSCII support if you want a down and dirty quick way to test it. I
know that is sacrilege to suggest but it does. hehe

I would foresee PETSCII support making its way into Netrunner though as a
result of Mystic offering PETSCII!! ;)

g0> hardware?Wink and one or two people who can test it as well to help provide
g0> some feedback.

Well I know you would have me FOR SURE testing it on real hardware and
emulation, I know Al (Bucko) would too!!!! Yeah I threw him under the bus but
this is a feature that is huge to him and I for our BBS'. For me my
8bitboyz.com crowd of Commodore users would also be excited for this.

Thank you for considering this!

* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 13:55
Re: PETSCII Support
SO> Emulation would work, but I dare suggest (cringing): You can use Syncterm
SO> which has PETSCII support if you want a down and dirty quick way to test
SO> it. I know that is sacrilege to suggest but it does. hehe

Hey there is nothing wrong with Syncterm, its a great terminal!

If Syncterm supports it I would use it to test with, but at some point it needs
to be put through the motions with actual hardware (if possible). I don't want
to assume that Syncterm would be 100% perfect in its emulation (although it
very well could be).

Could you recommend a Windows C64 or C128 emulator and terminal software for
the Commodore that could be used to telnet into a Mystic BBS from the emulator?
Does such a setup exist? This would be my ideal testing platform and then I
can have someone on real hardware give it a shot once I think I have it right.

SO> I would foresee PETSCII support making its way into Netrunner though as a
SO> result of Mystic offering PETSCII!! ;)

That wouldn't be out of the question, although NetRunner is my neglected child
so it could take a while lol

... My tagline could eat your tagline for breakfast

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Shane O'Neill (1:305/3)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 13:49
Re: PETSCII Support
On 28 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...

g0> If Syncterm supports it I would use it to test with, but at some point
g0> it needs to be put through the motions with actual hardware (if
g0> possible). I don't want to assume that Syncterm would be 100% perfect
g0> in its emulation (although it very well could be).

Yeah I would trust that Syncterm would be about 98-99% accurate.

g0> Could you recommend a Windows C64 or C128 emulator and terminal software
g0> for the Commodore that could be used to telnet into a Mystic BBS from
g0> the emulator? Does such a setup exist? This would be my ideal testing
g0> platform and then I can have someone on real hardware give it a shot
g0> once I think I have it right.

I would but I will pass this request on to Al (Bucko) as such a setup does
exist thanks to him. Bucko and I were talking this morning and he suggested to
use his Image BBS setup that we had for download on my website. How ever he
is happy to get you setup with a modified version of that which would include
the Terminal software and no BBS as you don't need that. LOL. It is so easy
to use, launch the bat file and before you know it your up and running on a
Commodore 64 or 128 (for 80 column support) with full telnet ability using a
commodore bbs terminal software like CGTerm.

I know Bucko will have better details for you when he chimes in on here later
but he is already thinking ahead to make sure you have a true test bed!

* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)

From: Al DeRosa (1:267/157)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 21:05
Re: PETSCII Support
On 28 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...
g0>
g0> Could you recommend a Windows C64 or C128 emulator and terminal software
g0> for the Commodore that could be used to telnet into a Mystic BBS from
g0> the emulator? Does such a setup exist? This would be my ideal testing
g0> platform and then I can have someone on real hardware give it a shot
g0> once I think I have it right.

Hey g00r00, I will set you up with a fully set up emulation. All you will
have to do is click a runme.bat (in windows) and it will boot up into a term
program for testing.. It will make life a lot easier for you. This setup is
the base of my now defunct "Image BBS on a Stick" project, it would boot up a
fully functional Image BBS for the 64 on a USB stick or any computer.
Anyways, I will get it worked up either tonight or tomorrow night and send it
off to Shane for him to get it to you. I have real hardware to test,
including a Ultimate 64 to test on.

g0>
g0> That wouldn't be out of the question, although NetRunner is my neglected
g0> child so it could take a while lol

No comment about neglected child projects.. I have 2 which I have been doing
for Image BBS for the 64 for the past 3 months and they should have taken no
more then a week to complete but procrastination and neglecting have run
rampant here too!

Al

* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.07.21 01:51
Re: PETSCII Support
AD> Hey g00r00, I will set you up with a fully set up emulation. All you will
AD> have to do is click a runme.bat (in windows) and it will boot up into a
AD> term program for testing.. It will make life a lot easier for you. This

That sounds great! Thank you I appreciate your help!

AD> any computer. Anyways, I will get it worked up either tonight or
AD> tomorrow night and send it off to Shane for him to get it to you. I have

Thank you again but please do not stress yourself out trying to get it done
ASAP. I am planning to look into PETSCII for A48 and at this point A47 is
probably 1-2 weeks away, so it'd be a couple weeks before I'd even begin to
look at it. There is no rush but at your leisure I would love the help!

One question I do have regarding C64 BBSes is: Do they usually store art in a
file in a similar way to a PC BBS would store its art in an .ANS file? I have
called into C64 BBSes back in the day but I have never actually seen a BBS from
the SysOp side on a C64 so I am curious if they are similar to traditional PC
BBSes?

I'd love to check out Image BBS that you mention (or any others that you
recommend looking at) on the C64 emulator too if its possible! I've always
been facinated by BBS stuff and the C64 is one of the platforms I haven't
worked with in terms of BBS software. Kind of odd too considering my first
computer was a Commodore 128 (wish I still had it!Wink!

... Intelligence tests are biased toward the literate.

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Al DeRosa (1:267/157)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.07.21 11:33
Re: PETSCII Support
On 28 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...

g0>
g0> That sounds great! Thank you I appreciate your help!
g0>

No problem at all.. Glad I can finally give back to ya...

g0>
g0> Thank you again but please do not stress yourself out trying to get it
g0> done ASAP. I am planning to look into PETSCII for A48 and at this point
g0> A47 is probably 1-2 weeks away, so it'd be a couple weeks before I'd
g0> even begin to look at it. There is no rush but at your leisure I would
g0> love the help!
g0>

Again no problem at all. It's my pleasure...

g0> One question I do have regarding C64 BBSes is: Do they usually store art
g0> in a file in a similar way to a PC BBS would store its art in an .ANS
g0> file? I have called into C64 BBSes back in the day but I have never
g0> actually seen a BBS from the SysOp side on a C64 so I am curious if they
g0> are similar to traditional PC BBS

Yes, they store them as text files known as SEQ files. So it is pretty much
the same stuff, just different character set..

g0>
g0> I'd love to check out Image BBS that you mention (or any others that you
g0> recommend looking at) on the C64 emulator too if its possible! I've
g0> always been facinated by BBS stuff and the C64 is one of the platforms I
g0> haven't worked with in terms of BBS software. Kind of odd too
g0> considering my first computer was a Commodore 128 (wish I still had it!Wink!
g0>

No Problem at all. I will send Shane the term program setup along with the
Image BBS setup, you can check it out from the sysop side and see what all
the craze was back in the 80's and early 90's.. We just released a upgrade
version back in December (3.0 yea, I did some of the programming on it jeez
LOL) and I will send you that, another simple setup just click the runme.bat
and it will boot to waiting for call..

I will get it to him soon, since we are a ways off I gotcha with the no
rush.. LOL Smile

Al
* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: Shane O'Neill (1:305/3)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.07.21 10:21
Re: PETSCII Support
On 28 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...

g0> One question I do have regarding C64 BBSes is: Do they usually store art
g0> in a file in a similar way to a PC BBS would store its art in an .ANS
g0> file? I have called into C64 BBSes back in the day but I have never
g0> actually seen a BBS from the SysOp side on a C64 so I am curious if they
g0> are similar to traditional PC BBSes?

Yes the CG art is usually saved in a SEQ (Sequential Data/Text) type of file
for the Commodore BBS to read. When Al sends me the disk to pass along I can
add the c128 80Col editor I found that works very well for creating/editing
80col PETSCII files. As for C64 40col editor Kaleidoscope on the c64 is the
most popular, again it will be on your setup.

g0> I'd love to check out Image BBS that you mention (or any others that you
g0> recommend looking at) on the C64 emulator too if its possible! I've
g0> always been facinated by BBS stuff and the C64 is one of the platforms I
g0> haven't worked with in terms of BBS software. Kind of odd too

once you get to playing with Image you will be amazed at how much it does
considering it is an 8-bit machine program. Al and crew did an amazing job
and still continue to!

g0> considering my first computer was a Commodore 128 (wish I still had it!Wink!

Sounds like this Mystic feature addition might make a great reason to reclaim
a 128 for yourself! Its a shame the retro world prices are soo over inflated
though. That is a topic for another day and place. ;)

* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)